All weather tires....help not my area of expertise...

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can everyone help me be safe this winter? I usually get Goodyear tires but I've read really good things about Vredestein Quatrac 5. I'm really leaning towards them even though I might only get two years out of them. I'm on OEM sport-touring rims, 20mm front 25mm rear spaced and Eibach sport lines. Can't really do a set of 16" for winter. These stock tires are down to 4/32 and 6/32 in a little over a year and 37k miles. They suck and are loud as shit.
Sponsored

Jervic

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
Check on tire rack put in your car on winter package deals they have.

OP
OP

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i did that, im asking you guys. im not doing winter wheels.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I don't own the Vredestein's, but I've researched them quite a bit. They are a good winter tire and excellent in wet conditions. They are good in terms of dry grip too. Sounds perfect, right?

There are a couple negatives though. They are kind of noisy apparently and they don't have a very high treadwear rating.

Here's a great all weather tire comparison review from Europe:

https://alltyretests.com/vredestein-quatrac-5-test-review/

Last edited:
OP
OP

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thats what i already figured. any other good options out there?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
An article in "Rubbers and Plastics News" wrote about the testing done in "Consumers Reports". This is what the article said:

Michelin scored first place in the performance and ultra-high-performance categories. In performance all-season tires, the Michelin CrossClimate + ranked first, followed by the Continental PureContact LS, the General Altimax RT43, the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and the Michelin Premier A/S.

In UHP, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ came out first, followed by the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06, the BFGoodrich g-Force Comp-2 A/S and the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season.​

A lot of us are running A/S 3+. They are relatively quiet and should last at least 50k miles. You're doing the right thing by investigating yourself. Good Luck!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
An article in "Rubbers and Plastics News" wrote about the testing done in "Consumers Reports". This is what the article said:

Michelin scored first place in the performance and ultra-high-performance categories. In performance all-season tires, the Michelin CrossClimate + ranked first, followed by the Continental PureContact LS, the General Altimax RT43, the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and the Michelin Premier A/S.

In UHP, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ came out first, followed by the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06, the BFGoodrich g-Force Comp-2 A/S and the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season.

A lot of us are running A/S 3+. They are relatively quiet and should last at least 50k miles. You're doing the right thing by investigating yourself. Good Luck!
All good info but what the OP mentioned is he's looking for an all weather tire that excels in winter too. None of the UHP tires really fit the bill. My guess is he's leaning more towards something like the CrossClimate.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I'd never heard of the CrossClimate+ before. So since he's from Penn., if the CrossClimate+ is better in snow, that would be a better option.

Being from the south, we hide and close the roads after an inch or two of snow. I chose the UHP because I wanted the best performance I could get, while still being able to "crawl" to the store or doctor during the fifteen to twenty days of below freezing weather we get. And not be in danger or cracking (damaging) my tires in the months we average in the 30s and 40s (Fahrenheit).

OP
OP

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
im looking for something members on here have actually used on their civics and been happy with. ive gone with online reviews before and been let down. feedback from you all would greatly help. i dont need it to excel in winter per say, obviously it needs to do well, but its a fwd car its gonna suck anyway. wet traction, quiet, and tire life are important. i live in pa.

OP
OP

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

In UHP, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ came out first, followed by the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06, the BFGoodrich g-Force Comp-2 A/S and the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season.​

are the a/s 3+ loud? im reading they are?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
No, they're not loud. But they're not quiet either. they are very dependant on the surface they are on. They "sing along" on a grooved surface.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
FWD car with 4- SNOWS is not a bad car in the snow at all. In the DC area where we tend to close everything after 3 inches of snow, I've passed many an "SUV" (no doubt on bad tires) in snow thats 5-6-8 inches deep with just FWD on snows. A FWD car with shitty all used up all seasons (or no seasons) is bad in the snow. A FWD car with new All seasons is only slightly better. For me, Michelins have always been the best overall performing tire.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
I take straight winter tires (Michelin Xice, mostly) over any all-weather rubber. I've been happy with Bridgestone WS-80's, but they apparently don't work as good as new once they see some wear.
I've never tried Haka's but would like to

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Virtually any winter tire is going to outperform all weather in the wintertime. However, if you want an excellent all weather tire for year round use, the Nokian WRG4 is an excellent choice. Nokian makes excellent tires and you'd be hard pressed to find a better all weather tire. I'm not sure of availability in the U.S. but in Canada they are basically the go to tire.

OP
OP

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Virtually any winter tire is going to outperform all weather in the wintertime. However, if you want an excellent all weather tire for year round use, the Nokian WRG4 is an excellent choice. Nokian makes excellent tires and you'd be hard pressed to find a better all weather tire. I'm not sure of availability in the U.S. but in Canada they are basically the go to tire.
yep thats a no on tirerack to buy em, walmarts seem to got em lol

dang you guys didnt seem to get 18" rims. nothing comes up on their site.
Sponsored

Last edited: