First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For you guys having so many intermittent problems with the a.c., and the dealer either keeps fixing it,or saying they can't duplicate the problem....Start video taping it with a thermometer up by the vent and saving your service records.
You all know my story most likely and I'm getting a brand new car due to issues very similar to what some of you are describing with the a.c..
Not trying to hijack the thread, but im proof dealers will tell you there's nothing wrong when there is.
Sponsored

Last edited:

shihkster1015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It took me 3 years and 5 trips to the dealer before they repaired my AC
They had to dyed my Freon and it took another trip before they were willing to admit there was a leak in the system

fenq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I replaced the condenser, flushed all components, drained all oil from compressor and then filled everything again with new oil and r134. So far so good. I am waiting on a really hot day now to see how it works and then I'll drive for about a month and let you guys know how it all worked out. If I have no issues, I'll make a write up on how I did it.

btm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
What makes you think that the AC should be blowing cold air all the time?
Okay, you've got me thinking now - If it's set on "lo", wouldn't it blow cold air all the time? It's not set on a temperature, I just keep it on lo.

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX- Lunar Silver
Country flag
I have an 18 Hatch EX and I find the air blows cool/cold but not ice cold...like freeze your azz off cold. I mentioned something to the Service Adviser when I ironically had my wife's 2010 Fit in for AC woes

Was told that all the new Civics and Accords etc do not blow as cold air as older models......hmmmmmmmmm

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX- Lunar Silver
Country flag
Ok so curiosity got the best of me and I went out and bought a Temp Tester at Pep Boys. Basically looks like a tiny meat thermometer you stick in the vent.

Temps looked like they were between 40-45. I think that is pretty much the norm for these cars that use R134? Has anyone else tried there with a test thermometer?

I need to do it on my 03 Accord and see the reading because that thing spits out ice cubes

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
If the car AC blows out 30+ F less than incoming air, (when it is set to work continuously, not on auto) it's working fine. But if the fan is set to high speed, it may not be able to cool the air as low as with low fan speed, so it should be tested at low-medium speed. If the incoming air either from inside the car or from outside is very hot (like well over 100 F) obviously, the air coming out will also be warmer.

The evaporator can't be colder than several degrees above 32 F, otherwise there would be a risk of ice forming on it.

Last edited:

fenq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
We also have variable compressors, which means it will not blow ice cold in every scenario. Those compressors were introduced to save fuel (thank the EPA for their emmision and mileage standards), the problem is you are saving maybe a glass of fuel at the expense of having a half assed AC. After I replaced the condenser it works awesome, I am happy with it. I tested in a 100 degree whether and it works awesome. When I was replacing the condenser, it was only 70 degrees outside and when I filled the system with gas, the vent temperature dropped from 80 to only 58, which made me think I f*cked something up. But then next day, after I got off of work, it blew cold air.

So basically what happens is that the climate control unit collects info from inside air temp sensor, outside air temp sensor, evaporator sensor, and engine RPM, and then it adjusts the stroke of the piston accordingly, so it will not blow the same cold air in 100 degree weather and in 75 degree weather. Changing the stroke of the piston in the compressor changes how much gas it sucks in and compresses, which results in different temperatures blown out of the vents in different weather conditions. You can notice it in some cars when you idle at an intersection and then accelerate from rest. What happens is the compressor changes into a smaller stroke to compensate for the engine RPM going up. That's why some people complain about the air temp being different as the RPMs change. This happens in all modern makes and models.

Regular Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Coupe
Country flag
Well, here's what happened to mine...

2017 Civic coupe 2.0 (10,000km)

The sound I heard from the dash was like 20 sparrows chirping in a tree, but muted. It could be heard when the a/c compressor was working, but not when a/c was turned off.

Invoice from repair reads:

Vehicle needs follow-up a/c diagnosis and leak testing for a/c system, as per previous invoice. Customer reports there is a chirping noise at stationary and also when driving
a/c noise. Connected a/c machine and confirmed refrigerant level is low. Visually inspected all a/c components and found condenser to have signs of leaks. Confirmed condenser is leaking. Replaced a/c condenser. Installed new o-rings. Performed leak test and passed. System can hold vacuum. Charged system and added oil. Turned a/c on and noise is gone.

My repair was completed under warranty.

If you hear that chirping, it's a good indicator that your refrigerant is leaking out, and given the reported problems with condensers in these cars, that's a good place to start looking for leaks.

ljw6632

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Hey guys.

on this summer which was June or July, my dealership replaced whole ac unit for my 2017 civic.

it was basically every ac compartments (ac clutch, compressor, hose etc..)

On this December, the weird sound happened again and my dealership replaced ac compressor again.

So, just be aware that it might happen again for you.

It is such a hassle to go to fix the same problem again.

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I feel like they should recall the faulty compressor since it will probably fail over and over and redesign a proper one

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
Good replies all. There are several threads about this problem that Honda refuses to recall and fix as they should. Surprising that it's not more well known and affecting sales. That'll be the only reason they do something.

I've posted some good info including a video capture of the sound and am requesting info and experiences be shared in this thread so we can all stay up to date on things & compare notes:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/plea...en-accelerating-after-car-is-warmed-up.22331/

This issue is driving me nuts. Annoying as all hell. Thanks for contributing.

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
For you guys having so many intermittent problems with the a.c., and the dealer either keeps fixing it,or saying they can't duplicate the problem....Start video taping it with a thermometer up by the vent and saving your service records.
You all know my story most likely and I'm getting a brand new car due to issues very similar to what some of you are describing with the a.c..
Not trying to hijack the thread, but im proof dealers will tell you there's nothing wrong when there is.
Exactly!! Get them to put into writing what the verbally tell you!! EVERY time, I've been handed the keys with NO written service record of what was found or done about it. They gave me a line about the ticket needing to be closed and have to start a new one, blah blah. So I waited...up to an hour for one visit! But I got them to dictate they heard the AC whine/whistle noise, even if they also said it "operates as designed". They refused to do anything about it but I have that on record now for a possible Lemon Law case.

Keep good records if you want something done.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ugh I guess I'll buy this honda extended warranty for 800 then
Sponsored