Air conditioning condenser issue is real

fenq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I looked at my condenser and sprayed some windex (i didnt have soapy water handy) and noticed bubbles coming out in 2 spots.... already ordered new condenser since dealer is going to shaft me with diagnosing fee. I will retrofit the system with r134 and then let you all know how it turned out.
Sponsored

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
I looked at my condenser and sprayed some windex (i didnt have soapy water handy) and noticed bubbles coming out in 2 spots.... already ordered new condenser since dealer is going to shaft me with diagnosing fee. I will retrofit the system with r134 and then let you all know how it turned out.
Where did you order the condenser from?
If I went ahead and changed it out myself, would the dealer refill the refrigerant under warranty?

fenq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I ordered from hondaautomotiveparts.com. 90 bucks for the part +20 bucks shipping. Not sure if the dealer will replace the charge under warranty. The part number I used was 80100-TBA-A01 - it's what the dealer told me over the phone when I called and asked what fits the 2.0L engine. I typed that number into google and wah-la. I also ordered the oil - RL897. When you type in our compressor model (6CVC140E, which you can find on the sticker on the compressor when you lift the hood), I found a ton of pictures that had a sticker with R134 and RL897 right below it. So Im going to flush the system and put R134 in and be done with all this bullshit.

The compressor is made by Delphi by the way. The oil I ordered from ebay is their brand too. 8 ounces for 13 bucks.

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
I ordered from hondaautomotiveparts.com. 90 bucks for the part +20 bucks shipping. Not sure if the dealer will replace the charge under warranty. The part number I used was 80100-TBA-A01 - it's what the dealer told me over the phone when I called and asked what fits the 2.0L engine. I typed that number into google and wah-la. I also ordered the oil - RL897. When you type in our compressor model (6CVC140E, which you can find on the sticker on the compressor when you lift the hood), I found a ton of pictures that had a sticker with R134 and RL897 right below it. So Im going to flush the system and put R134 in and be done with all this bullshit.

The compressor is made by Delphi by the way. The oil I ordered from ebay is their brand too. 8 ounces for 13 bucks.
Thanks for the link. I'd do this myself, however, it's way above what I'm comfortable with. Especially on a car that is under warranty and is a lease.
Just can't wait to get rid of this car and be done with this petty bullshit as well.

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the link. I'd do this myself, however, it's way above what I'm comfortable with. Especially on a car that is under warranty and is a lease.
Just can't wait to get rid of this car and be done with this petty bullshit as well.
I kind of wish I had a lease so I could return this car

btm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic EX purchased in Dec/16. It currently has just under 20,000 km on it. When summer 2017 came along, my air conditioner had some problems. It would work fine for awhile, then I would smell a burnt plastic smell and it would start blowing warm air for a few minutes, then back to cold.

I've had it into the dealership 4 times in 2017 and 2018 for this same issue. They have diagnosed it with low freon and evacuated and recharged the system, and they have replaced the relay. 2 other times it was in, they had a mechanic drive it for a few days and they were "unable to duplicate problem". The last time it was in, I was told that from now on I would have to pay approximately $260 for them to look at in the future, if they can't duplicate the problem, because Honda Canada doesn't cover any warranty work unless the dealership can duplicate the problem.

It happens so sporadically, I can't identify any pattern whatsoever.

Sometimes when it start blowing warm, I check and see that the a/c on and off buttons are both off. Sometimes if the a/c button says "on", I will turn it off for a few minutes and then back on and it will start blowing cold again.

Sometimes I have to pull over, turn the car off for a couple of minutes, then re-start and the a/c will be cold again. There is always kind of a hot plastic smell when this happens.

If I don't do anything, after a few minutes, it will start blowing cold again.

The recirculation button turns itself on whenever the a/c stops blowing cold.

There is no rhyme nor reason to when this happens. I went on a 2 1/2 hour road trip last month and had no problems at all on the way there, but it happened 4-5 times on the way back home.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I'm getting so frustrated with the car and the dealership. I understand their reasoning that if they can't reproduce the problem, they can't fix it. But as far as I'm concerned, the a/c has never worked properly in this car and after buying every extended warranty offered, I am so frustrated. This is my second civic, and is a car I had planned on keeping at least 10 years, I now am considering getting rid of it for something that is not a Honda.

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Sorry you had to go through that rollercoaster. My guess is that the condenser is slowly crapping out but it isn't fully there yet. Don't quote me on it though

btm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Thanks - I don't really know anything about cars but from what I've read, I wondered if it was possibly a condenser problem.

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It seems like replacing the condenser is the only fix right now and the part is on backorder due to the amount of owners experiencing a/c problems

btm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
It seems like replacing the condenser is the only fix right now and the part is on backorder due to the amount of owners experiencing a/c problems
I questioned the service manager about the condenser, this was his reply:
Our technician spent time on the entire system, we checked the condenser, compressor and complete system for any leaks or issues/failures – the whole system check out well within specification and was operating normally. We also changed the relay that controls the A/C system just incase because we have seen issues with them in the past. If we could find something faulting we would have repaired it or replaced a part – the unfortunate issue is that unless we can find a fault we’re not allowed to replace things under warranty

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I questioned the service manager about the condenser, this was his reply:
Our technician spent time on the entire system, we checked the condenser, compressor and complete system for any leaks or issues/failures – the whole system check out well within specification and was operating normally. We also changed the relay that controls the A/C system just incase because we have seen issues with them in the past. If we could find something faulting we would have repaired it or replaced a part – the unfortunate issue is that unless we can find a fault we’re not allowed to replace things under warranty
That's really frustrating and unfortunate because some Honda dealers point towards faulty condensers and repair under warranty while some do nothing while they charge a diagnostic fee

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had mine replaced under warranty too. Dealer was good about it. No hassle.

The thing i want to know is if the new condenser is an improved part over the one from the factory. Or is it just the same piece of garbage the car came with? I don't want to deal with it crapping out again in the middle of a heat wave 2 years from now

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic EX purchased in Dec/16. It currently has just under 20,000 km on it. When summer 2017 came along, my air conditioner had some problems. It would work fine for awhile, then I would smell a burnt plastic smell and it would start blowing warm air for a few minutes, then back to cold.

I've had it into the dealership 4 times in 2017 and 2018 for this same issue. They have diagnosed it with low freon and evacuated and recharged the system, and they have replaced the relay. 2 other times it was in, they had a mechanic drive it for a few days and they were "unable to duplicate problem". The last time it was in, I was told that from now on I would have to pay approximately $260 for them to look at in the future, if they can't duplicate the problem, because Honda Canada doesn't cover any warranty work unless the dealership can duplicate the problem.

It happens so sporadically, I can't identify any pattern whatsoever.

Sometimes when it start blowing warm, I check and see that the a/c on and off buttons are both off. Sometimes if the a/c button says "on", I will turn it off for a few minutes and then back on and it will start blowing cold again.

Sometimes I have to pull over, turn the car off for a couple of minutes, then re-start and the a/c will be cold again. There is always kind of a hot plastic smell when this happens.

If I don't do anything, after a few minutes, it will start blowing cold again.

The recirculation button turns itself on whenever the a/c stops blowing cold.

There is no rhyme nor reason to when this happens. I went on a 2 1/2 hour road trip last month and had no problems at all on the way there, but it happened 4-5 times on the way back home.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I'm getting so frustrated with the car and the dealership. I understand their reasoning that if they can't reproduce the problem, they can't fix it. But as far as I'm concerned, the a/c has never worked properly in this car and after buying every extended warranty offered, I am so frustrated. This is my second civic, and is a car I had planned on keeping at least 10 years, I now am considering getting rid of it for something that is not a Honda.

What makes you think that the AC should be blowing cold air all the time?

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I had mine replaced under warranty too. Dealer was good about it. No hassle.

The thing i want to know is if the new condenser is an improved part over the one from the factory. Or is it just the same piece of garbage the car came with? I don't want to deal with it crapping out again in the middle of a heat wave 2 years from now
I think the cvt, infotainment unit or air conditioning, will be one of the reasons I will rid of this car in the future.

fenq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
The compressor we have is variable so you will feel different temps coming out of the vent when idling, driving, starting from rest etc.

Also, turn off eco mode - all it does it makes your car sluggish (tranny operates different) and cycles the clutch on the compressor on and off - this may be why your car is funky. I get 34/35 mpg in the city with no ac on and eco mode off. ~31mpg with AC on in the city before it crapped out.
Sponsored