Air conditioning condenser issue is real

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX Manual 2016
Country flag
I have an appointment next week to check the condenser on mine as well. When looking closer it doesn't seem to have an impact.

Honda Civic 10th gen Air conditioning condenser issue is real 20180617_214657

Don't mind the bugs tho xD it was the reason why I took the picture but someone mentioned that black spot on the condenser...
Sponsored

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
I have an appointment next week to check the condenser on mine as well. When looking closer it doesn't seem to have an impact.

20180617_214657.jpg

Don't mind the bugs tho xD it was the reason why I took the picture but someone mentioned that black spot on the condenser...
I also have a couple black spots on my condenser but no real big impact points except for some bent fins that probably happened from road debris or bugs. What was the outcome of your appointment?

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also have a couple black spots on my condenser but no real big impact points except for some bent fins that probably happened from road debris or bugs. What was the outcome of your appointment?
According the the mechanic if it was a leak from the condenser there would be a very small hole and there would not be that much oil. So the black spot is coming from something else.

Since my A/c is still working I decided to not touch it and if the system was fine I would have to pay 129.99 for an A/C service.

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
So the service center called and they’re stating I have punctures in the condensor which is not covered under warranty. I do have to pay a diagnostics fee and even called Honda to dispute it. Can’t seem to win. Anyone have any ideas of what to do next? Car only has 16k miles and do not feel comfortable paying over $900 to have the condenser replaced.

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So the service center called and they’re stating I have punctures in the condensor which is not covered under warranty. I do have to pay a diagnostics fee and even called Honda to dispute it. Can’t seem to win. Anyone have any ideas of what to do next? Car only has 16k miles and do not feel comfortable paying over $900 to have the condenser replaced.
Your insurances should cover this.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Try to replace the condenser yourself. Should not be too difficult

you can then have someone fill it back up and test it

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
I called up my insurance company, they said becuase the damage was due to road debris, it would fall under comprehensive. With my deductible, I'd still pay out of pocket for something that should've been covered under warranty.
I can try to replace the condenser myself, however, it is a lease and see no point spending that much money on a lease that is over in 8 months.

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
I called up my insurance company, they said becuase the damage was due to road debris, it would fall under comprehensive. With my deductible, I'd still pay out of pocket for something that should've been covered under warranty.
I can try to replace the condenser myself, however, it is a lease and see no point spending that much money on a lease that is over in 8 months.
When you go to turn it in they will charge you to fix it

jdm_94

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type R & 14 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would you say this company is scummy? Many 10th generation honda civics are being serviced because the air conditioning condenser is faulty/leaking. So much that honda Canada nationwide has the part on backorder due to the sheer amount of service for that part. So instead of Honda recalling that part due to failure, they spot fix the problem when the owner brings it to their attention. It's so obvious that honda Canada won't recall the part because they would lose millions.

I got my condenser replaced under warranty 3 weeks after because the part is in high demand. I tested the fixed air conditioner and it was colder than when I got it brand new. My impression was the condenser was faulty right out of the factory.

On the bright side, right in time for the heat wave
If Im not wrong anyAuto brand only recalling any part when is a safety issue related? Like brakes,SRS, fuel system,etc.

jdm_94

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type R & 14 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would you say this company is scummy? Many 10th generation honda civics are being serviced because the air conditioning condenser is faulty/leaking. So much that honda Canada nationwide has the part on backorder due to the sheer amount of service for that part. So instead of Honda recalling that part due to failure, they spot fix the problem when the owner brings it to their attention. It's so obvious that honda Canada won't recall the part because they would lose millions.

I got my condenser replaced under warranty 3 weeks after because the part is in high demand. I tested the fixed air conditioner and it was colder than when I got it brand new. My impression was the condenser was faulty right out of the factory.

On the bright side, right in time for the heat wave
If Im not wrong anyAuto brand only recalling any part when is a safety issue related? Like brakes,SRS, fuel system,etc.

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Google baby in a car with a broken air conditioner

ninja_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016-MSM-LX-6SP
Country flag
@accordman: my wife's car has 30K on it and it suffered the same fate as yours. We had to out fork the money to repair it despite having the extended warranty...IT WAS NOT COVERED.

I contacted Honda and they gave me a super BS response about how damage due to road hazards is not covered (page 18 of the owners manual)...UTTER BS!!!

The main problem is the location of the condenser behind the SUPER USELESS lower front grille that's supposed to protect the condenser from debris. How could any intelligent engineer NOT SEE this happening is beyond me...

After the repair I modified the front grilles on both our civic Xs to prevent another $1000 repair.

I suggest ALL of you do a similar mod to yours to prevent future costs: https://www.civicx.com/threads/modify-condenser-intake.1164/

Sad that we have to take matters into our own hands.
Don't leave to Honda they're as useless as the front grille.

Cheers.

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
That bottom part that is wide open is not the air conditioner condenser though. The condenser is already well protected on Turbo models. So something else must be going on with these failures.

I did do your mod to protect my intercooler.

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So last week my AC went out completely on my way back from Montreal so I decided to stop at another dealer on my way back. Got an appointment yesterday and they found out that the condenser is rotten on one side and let me know that it's a common issue with 2.0l condenser.

Also, the dealer is about an hour from home but it is worth the detour. They told me we will check it for free instead of threatening me that if it was hit by a rock I will have to pay 130$ checkup.

The only issue is that the condenser is backorder and it can take up to 3 weeks. Called Honda Canada and told them that I need a car with working AC as I have roadtrips soon and I also have my kids in the back most of the time. I got a rental for 10 days for now.

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So last week my AC went out completely on my way back from Montreal so I decided to stop at another dealer on my way back. Got an appointment yesterday and they found out that the condenser is rotten on one side and let me know that it's a common issue with 2.0l condenser.

Also, the dealer is about an hour from home but it is worth the detour. They told me we will check it for free instead of threatening me that if it was hit by a rock I will have to pay 130$ checkup.

The only issue is that the condenser is backorder and it can take up to 3 weeks. Called Honda Canada and told them that I need a car with working AC as I have roadtrips soon and I also have my kids in the back most of the time. I got a rental for 10 days for now.
Mine crapped out 1.5L here. I believe all civics are affected
Sponsored