Aftermarket Wheels on OEM Tires a No-No?

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm on the verge or purchasing my first ever set of aftermarket wheels (my previous car was a 2008 Prius :D). I've scoured the internet to educate myself on what to look for and I'm leaning heavily toward the Enkei Vulcan in gloss black.

Last night I came across this video from Fitment Industries. Around 0:50 he starts suggesting that aftermarket wheels may not look as good on OEM tires. I eventually plan to purchase Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus(ses), but not until the OEM Goodyears wear out (I currently have 30k miles on them).

For the "sporty" look I'm going for, is it absolutely critical that I go ahead and purchase new tires? Will I be disappointed with new wheels on OEM tires?

Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As long as the wheel isn't too wide for the tire, you'll be fine. In your case, an 18x8 Enkei Vulcan will fit fine and look great with your 235/40 tires. The Vulcans come in 45 and 35 offset. 35 will give you more poke so the stance would look more aggressive.

That guy is just suggesting you replace your stock with more aggressive tires, and that's fine. But, you will be fine using your stock tires til their worn. Keep in mind, he works for a company that sells tires so he'd like to make some sales. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vegas Viking

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As long as the wheel isn't too wide for the tire, you'll be fine. In your case, an 18x8 Enkei Vulcan will fit fine and look great with your 235/40 tires. The Vulcans come in 45 and 35 offset. 35 will give you more poke so the stance would look more aggressive.

That guy is just suggesting you replace your stock with more aggressive tires, and that's fine. But, you will be fine using your stock tires til their worn. Keep in mind, he works for a company that sells tires so he'd like to make some sales. :cool:
24 hours later and now I'm leaning toward the Enkei TD5. Would you still recommend 35 offset?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
+35 or +45 would work. +35 will poke out just a bit more (the higher the offset, the less poke). For reference, stock is +50.

Those wheels are a nice choice because they are flow formed (lighter but sturdier).

OP
OP
Vegas Viking

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@gtman the lighter weight is what's attracting me. That and the black pearl finish. Unsure of how they'd look on Modern Steel Metallic though. It's a tough color to complement.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was helping a member here (CivicPlease) a while back with his wheel choice on a Modern Steel and he went with black. Silver or gunmetal would look OK, too.

Here's his MSM with black wheels. Enkei Vulcan ironically.

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Wheels on OEM Tires a No-No? 23A465FE-E883-445F-8EB5-A57DF5659FAB
Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Wheels on OEM Tires a No-No? 80B1E210-F73A-4F51-A0A1-AE8E96717AFE

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not MSM but here's a Civic with the TD5's...

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Wheels on OEM Tires a No-No? Screenshot_20190809-082145-01

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They are decent enough wheels especially for that price. I believe they are a bit on the heavier side. Do you have the specs on the wheels like offset, width etc? Also, since they are used, have you been able to inspect them first?

Personally, I'd feel better about getting something new from the flow formed Enkei tuning line. But $125 a pop for those wheels is excellent.

On a budget, the Voxx Legerro are an interesting option. They are lightweight, flow formed and reasonably priced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vegas Viking

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
They are decent enough wheels especially for that price. I believe they are a bit on the heavier side. Do you have the specs on the wheels like offset, width etc? Also, since they are used, have you been able to inspect them first?

Personally, I'd feel better about getting something new from the flow formed Enkei tuning line. But $125 a pop for those wheels is excellent.

On a budget, the Voxx Legerro are an interesting option. They are lightweight, flow formed and reasonably priced.
They were 18 x 8.5 (I think). +35 offset. Said he took them off his girlfriend's Civic because she didn't like them. I don't like them as much as the TD5s, but the price had me second guessing. I would also prefer something new.