Aftermarket Smartphone Remote Start

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Anyone have an after market remote start installed in a Touring, Ex-T, etc.
Winter is settling in and the limits of the one way system that is hit or miss making it to my garage are starting to irk me.
Really miss the smartphone based remote start of my elantra this time of year.
That Honda holds that kind of functionality hostage for the Touring Accord seems like a huge miss for me.

Wondering if anyone has gone after market for that kind of functionality.
Success?
Cost, including install? (please don’t pop in just to boast about how you could do it yourself. carpal tunnel makes that a non-starter for me. thanks)
Brand?
General Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
AutoPi might make this possible, not sure if civics are supported for the remote start feature, but it seems like a good place to start looking... https://www.autopi.io/use-cases/remote-start/
Very interesting.
Though at $325 for the device and very little support it’s a hard sell over an off the shelf product from Viper etc unless you’re a true enthusiast of the device.
Thanks for the info though.

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Anyone have an after market remote start installed in a Touring, Ex-T, etc.
Winter is settling in and the limits of the one way system that is hit or miss making it to my garage are starting to irk me.
Really miss the smartphone based remote start of my elantra this time of year.
That Honda holds that kind of functionality hostage for the Touring Accord seems like a huge miss for me.

Wondering if anyone has gone after market for that kind of functionality.
Success?
Cost, including install? (please don’t pop in just to boast about how you could do it yourself. carpal tunnel makes that a non-starter for me. thanks)
Brand?
General Thoughts?
It's not that they're "holding the technology hostage" its only because the Accord, Clarity, Insight and the Odyssey are using newer tech than the current Civic - there's no way to update the current software to support it. (sad. I know.)

What are your gripes with the built-in remote starter? I personally love it!

Last edited:

OP
OP

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
A nin
It's not that they're "holding the technology hostage" its only because the Accord, Clarity, Insight and the Odyssey are using newer tech than the current Civic - there's no way to update the current software to support it. (sad. I know.)

What are your gripes with the built-in remote starter? I personally love it!
Gripe for the remote start is that it’s useless for me. It doesn’t come close to it’s advertised range. I have to have my garage door open and be at the window for the remote start to reach my car maybe 150ft away and that’s only about 40% success rate on a fresh battery. And since it’s only one way I don’t find out if it worked till I get out there. Pretty much worthless.

And by hostage I meant more that even on the Accord they hold it back only for the Touring.
My Elentra, of course the peer of the civic, not the step up, and you could get it on most trims and that was for last generations cars.

Honda lags way behind in the in-car tech category.

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
A nin

Gripe for the remote start is that it’s useless for me. It doesn’t come close to it’s advertised range. I have to have my garage door open and be at the window for the remote start to reach my car maybe 150ft away and that’s only about 40% success rate on a fresh battery. And since it’s only one way I don’t find out if it worked till I get out there. Pretty much worthless.

And by hostage I meant more that even on the Accord they hold it back only for the Touring.
My Elentra, of course the peer of the civic, not the step up, and you could get it on most trims and that was for last generations cars.

Honda is definitely behind on tech, I had no idea that smartphone engine start was even offered on Hyundais (I test drove an Elantra and the sales person didn't even bring it up!)

I'm sorry that you're frustrated with the range of the key fob. I usually just count to 3 when hitting engine start button and it works every time, but I agree it would be much more convenient having the smart phone integration. We'll likely see it in the 11th generation.

OP
OP

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda is definitely behind on tech, I had no idea that smartphone engine start was even offered on Hyundais (I test drove an Elantra and the sales person didn't even bring it up!)

I'm sorry that you're frustrated with the range of the key fob. I usually just count to 3 when hitting engine start button and it works every time, but I agree it would be much more convenient having the smart phone integration. We'll likely see it in the 11th generation.
meanwhile on VWs
https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/12/volkswagen-vehicles-get-siri-shortcuts/

OP
OP

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A nin

Try holding the key fob under your chin to increase the range. Sounds silly but It does help.

midnightcivic

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SGP EX
Country flag
Thanks for the information.
Do you have experience with this directly?
Local place quoted me $550 installed.
Kinda looks like this is just an ODB module though. Wish their site wasn’t so lacking in information.
Am I missing something?
No, only had their remote start with LCD remote. I believe drone is an add on to their systems. My vote is for Compustar as a company.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try holding the key fob under your chin to increase the range.
It does work!!!
You should see the looks I get when I unlock my Forester from 150 yd away doing this.

OP
OP

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
It does work!!!
You should see the looks I get when I unlock my Forester from 150 yd away doing this.
Indeed it does work. I do this already actually.
wouldn’t make it to the garage at all without it.
Sponsored