Aftermarket Remote Start for 6MT push to start cars

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the R, yes, you can use the OEM "circle" button to start the car in place of three presses on the lock button.

Understand though, when you get in the car, the car will shut off during the take-over process (when you place your foot on the brake). That annoys the living crap out of some people but is a non-issue to others.

I'm in Weston, too BTW.
Haha small world... So hopping in and pressing the clutch and start button inside the car won't turn it on for driving?

That would bother me enough to skip this lol
Sponsored

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
When the car is remote started, you have to press the "START" button as part of the take-over process (to engage the ignition). When you do this, the engine cuts out and you have to press the "START" button again.

Unfortunately, this is just a quirk of how these cars operate and currently any aftermarket remote starter is going to affect this behavior on Hondas with push-to-start.

Last edited:

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When the car is remote started, you have to press the "START" button as part of the take-over process (to engage the ignition). When you do this, the engine cuts out and you have to press the "START" button again.

Unfortunately, this is just a quirk of how these cars operate and currently any aftermarket remote starter is going to affect this behavior on Hondas with push-to-start.
Thanks... I'll skip it then... That would bother me too much lol

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If my car has key ignition, would I be able to remotely start it and then get in and plug in key to on and drive? Without restarting the car?

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If my car has key ignition, would I be able to remotely start it and then get in and plug in key to on and drive? Without restarting the car?
YES. The engine only cuts out on push-to-start cars when the brake or START button is pushed.

If your car uses a physical ignition key the takeover process is seamless.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just bought the fortin evo one kit, hoping to install it friday

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I had misspoke earlier when I said that the Compustar T-Harness system would work with the 6mt cars. According to their tech support, A/D/S has not yet released the firmware to make the newest FTDC3-HC remote start/security brain/bypass module combo unit work with a manual. It may be released by summer, but definitely won't work as of this moment.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Fortin will, but they don't specially list 6MT as supported either --

Remember, all these things really do are two things - provide a CAN bus interface and immobilizer bypass, and a remote start. I don't see any fundamental reason the Compustar wouldn't work. The Compustar T-harness from a keyed ignition won't physically fit which is probably what they're referring to. The PTS uses low current ignition circuits and you can wire it directly into the Compustar RS harness.

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Compustar dealer tech support told me specifically that, even though the hardware would fit, the software (that A/D/S writes under the iDatalink name) would simply not function for a 6mt platform yet.

Edit: This is for the FT-DC3-HC starter kit brain that houses their newest tech with onboard high-current relays.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IIRC some of the Type R owners had complications with Compustar kits.

OP
OP
Osobigg

Osobigg

Grand Sky Marshal of the North
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback 6MT Polished Metal
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you everyone for being active on this thread.

So, Here's what I've read from all the other posts

1. YES, it's possible for PTS(push-to-start) 6MT Civics can be used with the OEM remote for remote start using the 3Lock method.

Currently, there are 2 solutions for making this happen

Fortin EVO-ONE system with THAR-ONE-HON6 T-Harness, and the Flashlink Updater tool http://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/honda/civic/2018-push-to-start/
AND

Compustar Honda Remote Start System DC3 Vehicle-Specific Remote Starter (FT-DC3-S, ADS-THR-HA6/HA7)
https://www.compustar.com/systems/honda-remote-start-system#

2. During the Takeover process in our vehicles, the engine will shut off, and need to be restarted. because not the Honda factory system. doesn't look like a simple work-around for us 6MT owners

3. Every installer i've talked to around Calgary always wants to sell you a remote, even if you request that you don't want one or the extra cost...(sorry, little salty Canadian here, stereotypical apology)

Edit: formatting and grammar

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Understand though, when you get in the car, the car will shut off during the take-over process (when you place your foot on the brake). That annoys the living crap out of some people but is a non-issue to others.
I'm in the first camp, skipped the OEM solution in my 13 accord because the salesman told me that's how Hondas system worked. I think it even had to have a 2nd fob to start it with, then you get to the car and unlock it, engine dies as you open the door, and then you re-start with a key.

Talk about a VERY poor integration of a feature into your own product... (as long as that's truly how it worked on a '13 accord CVT)

Getting the PTS to not kill the engine and just take control of the car would probably require Honda to change some code somewhere huh, nothing a 3rd party can do? or am I wrong there? I would like remote start but wont do it unless that can be solved and if its a Honda thing that needs done I know it wont happen anyways.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm in the first camp, skipped the OEM solution in my 13 accord because the salesman told me that's how Hondas system worked. I think it even had to have a 2nd fob to start it with, then you get to the car and unlock it, engine dies as you open the door, and then you re-start with a key.

Talk about a VERY poor integration of a feature into your own product... (as long as that's truly how it worked on a '13 accord CVT)

Getting the PTS to not kill the engine and just take control of the car would probably require Honda to change some code somewhere huh, nothing a 3rd party can do? or am I wrong there? I would like remote start but wont do it unless that can be solved and if its a Honda thing that needs done I know it wont happen anyways.
Yeah it sucks. It's an issue with how the BCM operates, not the ECU. If it was the ECU then companies like Hondata, etc. could probably work around it. I don't think anyone is hacking on the BCM as it's not a very sexy part.

If it's any consolation though, the EVO-ONE can remote start the car with the OEM fobs, no problem, so you don't need anything extra on your key chain.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
yeah that is a plus, just having it die when you want to start driving is a bummer... enough to make it not a huge priority on the list anyways.

afkrejci90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Honda Civic EX-T 6MT - 02 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Has anyone been able to find the T-harness from Fortin or is it only available through distributors?
Sponsored