Aftermarket (including Winter) Wheel Center cap Solution

Eddie Flex

“Go Hard Or Go Home”
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Honda Civic Type R, 13’ Jeep Wrangler JKUS,18’ Honda CRV, 03’ Chevy S10 & LOOKING for a 13’-14’ Honda Pilot
Thanks Thawk! They worked perfectly!

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket (including Winter) Wheel Center cap Solution 94A1867E-A18F-4A6A-A6F7-AD3F025A258A

slashkille

First Name
Sascha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 TypeR
Hi Guys,

can somebody send me the files for 3d-Printig these adapters? Thank you very much.

Slash

OP
OP
Thawk

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
My adapters ended up breaking after the winter...is that happening to anyone else?
Oh no - that stinks - I had mine on all winter up here and we had a rough one (I'm in Minnesota so I figured if mine survived, they should be good). Did you happen to take any pictures? Curious about what happened.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh no - that stinks - I had mine on all winter up here and we had a rough one (I'm in Minnesota so I figured if mine survived, they should be good). Did you happen to take any pictures? Curious about what happened.
nah, they all looked like they got smashed up...who knows. I did hit a few bad bumps, so maybe it was an impact thing and they just got messed up.

One thing I did do different the last time I used them, is I left the adapter in the wheel, then put the cap on...so maybe doing that didn't get a good fit and they came loose and basically got smashed around as the wheel rolled?

OP
OP
Thawk

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
nah, they all looked like they got smashed up...who knows. I did hit a few bad bumps, so maybe it was an impact thing and they just got messed up.

One thing I did do different the last time I used them, is I left the adapter in the wheel, then put the cap on...so maybe doing that didn't get a good fit and they came loose and basically got smashed around as the wheel rolled?
Hmm - that's interesting - with how tight they are to the center cap, I wonder if it didn't get snapped all the way on by having it installed in the wheel first. I took mine out to inspect them after the winter this year and didn't see damage/wear so I wonder about the bumps and/or install.

In any case, shoot me a PM, would love to hear a bit more about how many and which areas got damaged. Also want to make sure we can get you a new set.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag

Hmm - that's interesting - with how tight they are to the center cap, I wonder if it didn't get snapped all the way on by having it installed in the wheel first. I took mine out to inspect them after the winter this year and didn't see damage/wear so I wonder about the bumps and/or install.

In any case, shoot me a PM, would love to hear a bit more about how many and which areas got damaged. Also want to make sure we can get you a new set.
maybe the material got brittle over time (due to weather related thermal expansions and contractions) and simply fell apart?

OP
OP
Thawk

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
maybe the material got brittle over time (due to weather related thermal expansions and contractions) and simply fell apart?
It could be, but I don't think so - they're printed with PLA which should be plenty temp stable for the range of use (expands/contracts less with temp changes than ABS and doesn't melt until around 375 F). Also, PLA is designed to be able to be heated to its melting point and cooled repeatedly without degrading (which is why it's used in 3D printing).

We had a severely cold winter here this year (an extended stretch with highs lower than 5 degrees F) and I park in a heated garage so mine went through a lot of temp changing abuse every day I drove it - going from sitting in below zero temps to a 55 degree heated space regularly. But, my own experience is still just one experience too.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
ok, wow! what could it be...the center cap should not see that much loading, and mostly rotational shear...also, because the fit is tight, I'm not sure the "impact" loading is that much ... enter [head scratch emoji] :hmm:

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ok, wow! what could it be...the center cap should not see that much loading, and mostly rotational shear...also, because the fit is tight, I'm not sure the "impact" loading is that much ... enter [head scratch emoji] :hmm:
Yeah, I was at loss too...made no sense.

To track my events:
- Dec 2017, put Enkeis on and used the center cap adapters
- Mar/Apr 2018 time frame, started to warm up, put stockies back on prematurely (it would end up getting cooler). Adapters looked just fine when I removed the Enkeis, but when I pushed the center caps out of the Enkeis, the adapters stayed in the wheel...so weird, thought they'd pop out with the cap
- Apr 2018, gets too cold for the stockies, throw Enkeis back on with caps/adapters, looked just fine
- May 2018, take Enkeis off, remove caps, adapters are distorted/crushed looking.

OP
OP
Thawk

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
Hmm - that is odd. My best guess is that when the center caps went back in the last time, the rings didn't get clipped on all the way, and ended up getting tossed around/crushed, but who knows.

Message me and I'll get you another set.
Sponsored