After shutting of the engine, Headunit stayed on and couldn't lock the doors (RESOLVED)

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
This is not a request for help. Just an FYI in case this issue happens to anyone else.

After driving to the supermarket and putting the car in Park and pressing the Engine button, the engine shut off, but the radio kept playing and I heard 3 short beeps. I started the car again, shut if off again, same thing.

Not knowing what to do, I figured I would at least shut the Audio Power off so I can go into the store and the Head Unit would be dark. But that didn't help because it just said "Audio Off" on the screen. I figured as long as I locked the car, it wouldn't matter. But, it wouldn't let me lock the car either, not from inside or outside the car. I thought that I had forgotten the other set of keys somewhere in the car, but after looking briefly, I couldn't find the other set. Finally, I used the manual key to lock the doors.

When I came out of the supermarket, I had to use the manual key to unlock the doors. I started the car, and then tried shutting it off to see if the problem was still there. It was. So, I drove home. I was going to drop off the groceries and head to Honda. But this time, when I shut off the car at home, the Head Unit turned off, and no quick beeps.

Finally, I realized what had happened. I leave a tube of Chapstick in the storage bin in front of the shifter. It had fallen into the shifter leather boot hidden from my view. I guess it was not letting the shifter go all the way forward, but yet it was in Park. But still the car was not happy with it. There was no warning message on the driver's screen, like there are for all of the new features when there is a malfunction. Just 3 short beeps, and I am supposed to know what the problem is.
Sponsored

OldSkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I wonder if there's a way to force it "off" (like holding the power down for 5-10 seconds)... I'll have to try that tomorrow...

I've had some weirdness when it tried to call out but was unsuccessful, and just kept saying "Dialing..." Except it wasn't dialing on my phone, I couldn't "end" it, and wouldn't put the radio back on...

Eventually asked my wife to call me, which seemed to reset it. Was wondering if I could actually turn it off without turning off the car...

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
This behavior is how I go from engine running to accessory mode if I want to.

I keep the shift lever button pressed while pressing the Engine On/Off button. It does the 3 beeps and the instrument panel indicates Accessory Mode.

OP
OP
calonzo

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

I keep the shift lever button pressed while pressing the Engine On/Off button. It does the 3 beeps and the instrument panel indicates Accessory Mode.
Well, now you don't have to hold the shift lever down. Just drop a chapstick into the shifter boot! LOL

OldSkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag

I presume you mean the paddle shift levers?
Interesting!

Although not exactly what I was looking for.. I wanted to power off / reset the infotainment unit while the car was still running, which is kind of the opposite. :)
Still, good to know.

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I presume you mean the paddle shift levers?
Interesting!

Although not exactly what I was looking for.. I wanted to power off / reset the infotainment unit while the car was still running, which is kind of the opposite. :)
Still, good to know.
No, actually, on the CVT transmission, it's the little button you push if you want to change from P to D for instance. The lever unlock button.

You can reset the infotainment by holding down the Audio On/Off touch button for a couple seconds, until a notification appears asking if you want to reboot. You can also turn off the screen by pressing the button on top of the unit itself, the same button is used to switch from day to night mode.

OldSkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Thanks!
I did end up trying today and switching to accessory mode. Nice.
And yes, I did verify rebooting the head unit by holding down the power button which is also useful.
Sponsored