aFe downpipe with PRL frontpipe question

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got a good deal on a aFe downpipe catted so I bought it.
Now I want to buy front pipe,
will other brand fit onto aFe downpipe? such as PRL or RV6.??

reason I am not going with aFe front pipe is, it is more costly than others.
please advice.
thanks
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I got a good deal on a aFe downpipe catted so I bought it.
Now I want to buy front pipe,
will other brand fit onto aFe downpipe? such as PRL or RV6.??

reason I am not going with aFe front pipe is, it is more costly than others.
please advice.
thanks
You do have to remember each company makes their parts to work with their system on parts. Air flow, back pressures, restriction points and so on. If you mix and match to save a few bucks you might not get parts that work efficiently with one another or cause drone or improper back pressures. Your downpipe might be sending a zig while the other brand front pipe is looking for a zag. All these companies make and sell their parts, down pipe, front pipe and exhaust to work as a complete system. If you mix and match you are not getting the best from the company you chose to buy from. If your going with the assumption all front pipes are the same so you are gonna go cheapest, may as well stay with oem.

Now I do have a aFe front pipe, below are pictures of the oem,1st pic. And aFe wrapped, 2nd pic. As you can see not much difference. Front pipes arent gonna do alot as they have to pretty much be bent in exact same way as oem to fit. But, what they do is, at least on aFe, is get rid of the choke point at the exhaust flange and gets rid of the oem restriction there. This really only is helpful if the exhaust after it is designed to work with that restriction removed. If not you could mess up back pressure and engine efficiency.
It really is best to stay with one manufacturer that made all their parts to work together. And also if you have a aftermarket downpipe and front pipe but still got the oem exhaust and intake you are not really getting much benefit out of those aftermarket parts as you are not pulling any more air and not getting rid of it either.
Honda Civic 10th gen aFe downpipe with PRL frontpipe question 20190525_185245
Honda Civic 10th gen aFe downpipe with PRL frontpipe question 20190522_162257

Last edited:
OP
OP
123sillyboy123

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You do have to remember each company makes their parts to work with their system on parts. Air flow, back pressures, restriction points and so on. If you mix and match to save a few bucks you might not get parts that work efficiently with one another or cause drone or improper back pressures. Your downpipe might be sending a zig while the other brand front pipe is looking for a zag. All these companies make and sell their parts, down pipe, front pipe and exhaust to work as a complete system. If you mix and match you are not getting the best from the company you chose to buy from. If your going with the assumption all front pipes are the same so you are gonna go cheapest, may as well stay with oem.

Now I do have a aFe front pipe, below are pictures of the oem,1st pic. And aFe wrapped, 2nd pic. As you can see not much difference. Front pipes arent gonna do alot as they have to pretty much be bent in exact same way as oem to fit. But, what they do is, at least on aFe, is get rid of the choke point at the exhaust flange and gets rid of the oem restriction there. This really only is helpful if the exhaust after it is designed to work with that restriction removed. If not you could mess up back pressure and engine efficiency.
It really is best to stay with one manufacturer that made all their parts to work together. And also if you have a aftermarket downpipe and front pipe but still got the oem exhaust and intake you are not really getting much benefit out of those aftermarket parts as you are not pulling any more air and not getting rid of it either.
20190525_185245.jpg
20190522_162257.jpg
I think i will go with same brand.
I have aFe downpipe, already sent for ceramic coating... have my eyes on the exhaust Invidia R400, it comes with front pipe, hope it will match with the afe good. I choose R400 because of it's burn tip and there are couple fellows here run dyno on it and shows 20- 23whp gain on stock ctr.. I also like how it sounds as well. Little concern with their drone but I will see if i can stand it.
Thanks for your input.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I think i will go with same brand.
I have aFe downpipe, already sent for ceramic coating... have my eyes on the exhaust Invidia R400, it comes with front pipe, hope it will match with the afe good. I choose R400 because of it's burn tip and there are couple fellows here run dyno on it and shows 20- 23whp gain on stock ctr.. I also like how it sounds as well. Little concern with their drone but I will see if i can stand it.
Thanks for your input.
Awesome, do research i know lots chose invidia cause its cheapest not convinced its best. But thats opinion. I can tell you, i personally know several type R owners and read lots of posts. Every after market exhaust has drone to some extent. I have aFe exhaust frontpipe and mishimoto intake with prl intercooler. My drone is minimal. My buddy has aFe exhaust( same as me) but has oem front pipe and injen intake and his drone is god awful. The parts you chose matter. Mixing and matching is not the best. Also you got all that piping to get rid of air but nothing bringing more in. Might look at intakes.

OP
OP
123sillyboy123

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome, do research i know lots chose invidia cause its cheapest not convinced its best. But thats opinion. I can tell you, i personally know several type R owners and read lots of posts. Every after market exhaust has drone to some extent. I have aFe exhaust frontpipe and mishimoto intake with prl intercooler. My drone is minimal. My buddy has aFe exhaust( same as me) but has oem front pipe and injen intake and his drone is god awful. The parts you chose matter. Mixing and matching is not the best. Also you got all that piping to get rid of air but nothing bringing more in. Might look at intakes.
Thanks again.
I ordered aFe intake, HKS IC with HKS piping, on its way..

looks like my parts are all over the place in term of brand...

OP
OP
123sillyboy123

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sweet, once installed update us.
will do, still waiting for everything to arrive. only got aFe downpipe so far. sent out to ceramic coat.
waiting for invidia R400 to come and will send it's front pipe for coating as well. and then DEI wrap both.

probably will take another month for all shipment to arrive.. i am up north in Canada..
Sponsored