Project Harukonokaze R-00691
First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Prl front pipe was installed on the car. Everything sounds great with the exception of the intense rattling at idle, (even worse with A/C on) 1800-2000rpm, and between 3200 and 3400rpm. I was told by PRL to make adjustments by loosening the DP connection to the turbo and utilize the flex joints. I’m hesitant to do that because the rattling is coming from the electronic steering pump shield which is closer the the part of pipe that connects with the exhaust. I could be wrong, but that doesn’t seem like it would do much where the rattling is coming from.
Question is could I adjust front pipe alone to get enough play get that extra clearance?

Honda Civic 10th gen Adjusting PRL front pipe A0399AF0-FC3B-43C2-9079-0606D296E9E4
Sponsored

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd also like to know for future reference

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Prl front pipe was installed on the car. Everything sounds great with the exception of the intense rattling at idle, (even worse with A/C on) 1800-2000rpm, and between 3200 and 3400rpm. I was told by PRL to make adjustments by loosening the DP connection to the turbo and utilize the flex joints. I’m hesitant to do that because the rattling is coming from the electronic steering pump shield which is closer the the part of pipe that connects with the exhaust. I could be wrong, but that doesn’t seem like it would do much where the rattling is coming from.
Question is could I adjust front pipe alone to get enough play get that extra clearance?

A0399AF0-FC3B-43C2-9079-0606D296E9E4.png
are you by chance running an aftermarket exhaust also? Reason I ask...is that may be causing the front pipe to sit differently...could be

but as for the front pipe, I doubt there's much room for adjustment, but couldn't hurt and it'd be easier to try first. I would just loosen the bolts on the front and rear of the pipe...the move it around until you think you got it where it needs to be.

I ran a milltek front pipe and noticed I had to move it around when first installing it to prevent it from hitting anything

OP
OP
Ismael Lafluer

Ismael Lafluer

First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
are you by chance running an aftermarket exhaust also? Reason I ask...is that may be causing the front pipe to sit differently...could be

but as for the front pipe, I doubt there's much room for adjustment, but couldn't hurt and it'd be easier to try first. I would just loosen the bolts on the front and rear of the pipe...the move it around until you think you got it where it needs to be.

I ran a milltek front pipe and noticed I had to move it around when first installing it to prevent it from hitting anything
Thanks! I’m running a greddy dual tip USR DP. I did exactly this and 99% of the rattling is gone. I loosened all the bolts that connects to mid pipe and lower half of DP and adjusted them little by little until they was only one left to tighten. I also gave the front pipe a push up while tightening bolts. Everything worked great! There is still a very, very light rattling when a/c is tuned on but it’s not always there. I will play with it some more until it’s all gone. Thanks again for advice. For anyone doing this I guess try and avoid tightening one side of the front pipe and move back and forth. I’m not sure if that will help but it did for me allowing me to wiggle pipe around until some bolts were fully fastened.

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag

A0399AF0-FC3B-43C2-9079-0606D296E9E4.png
Thanks for the feedback! If you were to loosen the DP/FP, and exhaust side together in unison you should end up with a 1/4 inch of clearance around the FP once you wiggle everything into place. Also, sometimes the heatshielding can get bent during install and can rattle off the FP as well, please make sure that this isn't bent around the piping. We design the front pipe with slotted flanges to allow for adjustment to make everything fit accordingly. If you're still having issues feel free to reach out to us, we'd be happy to help you through the process! :)

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a rattle in my front pipe for about a year. Went under today and disconnected the front pipe from the exhaust and this fell out. No more rattle!

Honda Civic 10th gen Adjusting PRL front pipe 20190822_184109

OP
OP
Ismael Lafluer

Ismael Lafluer

First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had a rattle in my front pipe for about a year. Went under today and disconnected the front pipe from the exhaust and this fell out. No more rattle!

20190822_184109.jpg
What is that?

OP
OP
Ismael Lafluer

Ismael Lafluer

First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It used to be. Up until yesterday it was causing a terrible rattle and exhaust leak. So the exact opposite of a gasket.
Wow Did you replace it?

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Please note that the sealing ring is NOT intended for use with flat-flange-type front pipe upgrades. This piece is to be discarded or tossed to the side during install. Our kit, as well as most kits, supply all gaskets/hardware needed for installation.

type_r_tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP civic type R 2004 Berlina Black S2000
Country flag
I have the same greddy exhaust with prl dp/fp and I had the same rattle. I just removed that heat shield and wrapped that section with exhaust wrap to keep heat away from the electronic steering stuff.

OP
OP
Ismael Lafluer

Ismael Lafluer

First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the same greddy exhaust with prl dp/fp and I had the same rattle. I just removed that heat shield and wrapped that section with exhaust wrap to keep heat away from the electronic steering stuff.
Ive managed to drastically minimize the rattle. There is a occasional rattle, but it’s somewhat bearable. Ive done everything PRL has recommended. I even thought about going back to stock front pipe and exhaust system. All of that depends on if the rattling stays away
Sponsored