First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
  • Banned
I can't make it to the dealer for my free oil changes and haven't checked if I am low but the civic calls for 0w-20 but is it ok to add 10w-30 full synthetic, if I need to, until I can make it for the FF oil change. Any chance my break-in will be compromised with the heavy add pack of the full synthetic messing with the assembly lube in the FF?
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I can't make it to the dealer for my free oil changes and haven't checked if I am low but the civic calls for 0w-20 but is it ok to add 10w-30 full synthetic, if I need to, until I can make it for the FF oil change. Any chance my break-in will be compromised with the heavy add pack of the full synthetic messing with the assembly lube in the FF?
No issues doing that at all. Although I doubt you need to, instead you might need to draw some oil as it is likely fuel diluted. Check the level before adding any oil

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
It's fine for summer use. I'd go down to 0w-30 for winter usage to get it moving faster.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
In my case, I ended up going with Honda 0w-20 at the dealer. I wanted to extend the break-in for one, #2, use the same oil for 2 consecutive oil changes so I don't shock the system and experience a loss in synergy. Worked out well, I plan on using this for the next 2 oil changes and build this monster "synergical monster" of a 1.5 liter that will never use oil nor burn any.

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
In my case, I ended up going with Honda 0w-20 at the dealer. I wanted to extend the break-in for one, #2, use the same oil for 2 consecutive oil changes so I don't shock the system and experience a loss in synergy. Worked out well, I plan on using this for the next 2 oil changes and build this monster "synergical monster" of a 1.5 liter that will never use oil nor burn any.
meaningless buzzwords? loss in synergy? is this a yoga class?

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
30W is fine for adding a little if you are actually low, but if you are close to the service interval and it's not at or below the low mark, I wouldn't bother.

After that, I'd stick with 0W20. 0W is good for cold starts, even if it's only 50F outside, still going to flow better. the oil passages and oil pump were designed for 20W, so I'd stick to that. If you use 30W, oil may not flow as well and will probably cost you a little bit of power due to increased drag.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
What part of 0W-20 don't you understand ?! This is what Honda specifies for the car and engine they designed. This is what's intended for the lube system ( oil pump, oil ways, bearings, etc. ). Other viscosities are likely to have different flow rates, cooling, lube protection, etc. Why are some tempted to go to higher incorrect viscosities ?

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
What part of 0W-20 don't you understand ?! This is what Honda specifies for the car and engine they designed. This is what's intended for the lube system ( oil pump, oil ways, bearings, etc. ). Other viscosities are likely to have different flow rates, cooling, lube protection, etc. Why are some tempted to go to higher incorrect viscosities ?
Honda (or any car company) doesn't build engines around oil specs, they build engines and recommend the type of oil that can be used. If you look in other countries the same engines, Honda recommend 5w30

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Update: I preserved the sanctity of whatever assembly lube is left of the FF by changing the oil at 5800 miles!! with Honda SS 0w-20.

Last edited:

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Honda (or any car company) doesn't build engines around oil specs, they build engines and recommend the type of oil that can be used. If you look in other countries the same engines, Honda recommend 5w30
That's interesting. I had assumed they optimized the oil passages for lower viscosity 20W. But maybe oil weight isn't all that critical. Not within the difference of 20W and 30W at the high temps they run these engines for economy.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are crazy running 5W & 10W, you know they make 0-30 0-40 viscosities right? lol smh.
Sponsored