Adaptive Cruise (ACC) - How well does it REALLY work?

Adaptive Cruise (ACC) Overall

• Very Useful on a Day to Day basis

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • Pretty Useful

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • Kinda of Useful, but annoying most of the time

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • More of a Gimmick than anything

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
And that's why BMW and Volvo are making systems with cameras in both front fenders to look at all points of an intersection at once and stop you before you enter that "I can totally make that yellow light" death zone.
This could quickly lead to the case of the guy behind you saying "he's going to do it - I'm going to sneak through right behind him" then... blamo!
Sponsored

Rook3300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (no more)
This could quickly lead to the case of the guy behind you saying "he's going to do it - I'm going to sneak through right behind him" then... blamo!
Haha, yea but I meant the scenario where you are the one who has the red and is about to go when it turns green. Their system will detect oncoming cross traffic that is blowing through the cross light (which is now red) and preemptively stop your vehicle before you enter the intersection.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
It doesn't drive for you but it does do what it says it's able to do pretty well, which is identify cars in front of you and slow down if it detects one and then bring you back up to speed when it moves far enough away.
It doesn't handle braking like a human would though so it takes some getting used it. It can be very jerky depending on how sensitive you've set it to.
Best to think of all the sensing features as a helper that might catch something you've missed rather than able to take over any duties.

t3xn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
can't get my ACC to work. What am I missing? I played with it the first day I had my car but now it never works. The "ACC" green light shows as active when I hit the 'MAIN' button but the distance bars never show up when I enable cruise control.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
can't get my ACC to work. What am I missing? I played with it the first day I had my car but now it never works. The "ACC" green light shows as active when I hit the 'MAIN' button but the distance bars never show up when I enable cruise control.
Its a multi-step process.

1) Hit 'MAIN'
2) Hit 'SET'
3) Choose your speed with the up and down buttons
4) Choose your distance with the right button

And all of that fun stuff will appear in between the 'ACC' and 'LKAS' indicators.

t3xn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Its a multi-step process.

1) Hit 'MAIN'
2) Hit 'SET'
3) Choose your speed with the up and down buttons
4) Choose your distance with the right button

And all of that fun stuff will appear in between the 'ACC' and 'LKAS' indicators.

Yeah I guess I am not missing anything then. Using the right button to change the distance doesn't do anything for me. The distance bars never show up at all. Maybe I have some sort of software or hardware failure. I made sure that the radar was clean on the bumper and that didn't solve it either.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Someone pointed out that you could hold down that distance button and turn off the distance feature and have old fashioned cruise control. Maybe yours is in that mode. Try holding down on the distance button for a few seconds and see what happens.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Someone pointed out that you could hold down that distance button and turn off the distance feature and have old fashioned cruise control. Maybe yours is in that mode. Try holding down on the distance button for a few seconds and see what happens.
That was going to be my suggestion. I once inadvertently put it into "regular cruise control mode" and had no idea why it wasn't working. I had to hold the distance button down for a second to make it switch back to ACC.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I found it to work well when traffic is generally moving along but might occasionally slow down 10-20 mph. Let's say you're going 70 and occasionally you slow down to 50-60. But where you have large swings in speed, it gets a bit weird. I have found it to be too slow to get back up to speed. Let's say you're going 75, a car going 60 pulls in front of you and it slows down (fine), then the car leaves your lane and it takes the Civic a good long while to decide to accelerate again, and it does it slowly. Which leaves people behind you angry if you're in the fast lane. So you have to manually disable it and get back up to speed yourself quickly, then re-enable it. And at that point it's more trouble than it's worth.

It's frustrating, I wish you could tweak how aggressively it accelerates back up to speed. I guess if you drive like a grandmother and in the slow lane, it would be less annoying because you probably wouldn't accelerate fast anyway. Me, I don't like to waste time.
You can 'tweak' the acceleration by just hitting the gas pedal 'you will see the instruments show the ACC adjusting by blinking' then when you let off gas it then goes back to what it was doing beforehand and you will see the ACC instrument go solid again. So you do not have to 'disable' it then 're-enable' it
I see others did point this out already. I figured I would post again.

t3xn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Thanks, this worked.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I like it. I won't use it in moderate-to-heavy traffic, but open freeways make it a treat. I usually don't set it so it's the farthest away from the car in front of me because it literally slows you down significantly with ample distance in front of you, which is gonna really honk off other drivers.

I have noticed it slows me down significantly from the speed I was going (70 down to 45 at one point). At that point, I overrode the system (press and hold the cruise control button - the right circle pad's right button) and it'll beep to put you in 'normal' cruise control mode.

It also takes an exorbitantly long time to pick speed back up to your original setting once it activates if you're in ECO mode. If you're not, that time is drastically shortened.

Rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
With the adaptive cruise, does the set mph correspond with the actual mph? When I set mine - the speedometer is always 1 mph less than the setting. Only when I'm going downhill do they match.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
With the adaptive cruise, does the set mph correspond with the actual mph? When I set mine - the speedometer is always 1 mph less than the setting. Only when I'm going downhill do they match.
I see the same behavior. It doesn't really bother me... The ticket will be for 1 MPH less. Saving money!

Reactions: Rob

MRsm1th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 civic ex 2012 Crc exl
I wonder if they will get this in the SI or TyPE R model or any other Manuel transmission. I suspect not. I'm still trying wait to see what they are going to push out for SI. I also wonder if the 2017 model will have significant improvements.​

zeradx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-T
How does the ACC handle curves on the highway which go in a 360 loop? If I had it at 50, will it try to make the 360 turn while going 50, will it know to apply some brakes and slow down to say 25-30 to make the turn smoothly or will I have to manually brake and guide the wheel so I don't end up with an abrupt auto-brake somewhere in the middle of the loop?
Sponsored