macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
Just installed this. Very solid shifter. I initially had setting at the least gate spacing, shortest throw, shortest height but itbit really too tight. I tan adjusted to about half fate spacing and it feels so much better. Still have to get use to very stiff feel from 2nd to 3rd gear, is thst normal?
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Just installed this. Very solid shifter. I initially had setting at the least gate spacing, shortest throw, shortest height but itbit really too tight. I tan adjusted to about half fate spacing and it feels so much better. Still have to get use to very stiff feel from 2nd to 3rd gear, is thst normal?
thats how i felt with the gate spacing at the least setting so i put it at the middle too.

The stiff feeling is from the stiffer centering springs.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
This is a copy and paste from my review but here it is!

I came from the stage 2 kit I’m addition to using a 3rd party shift lever and shift knob

Settings used:
Gate Spacing... 2
Throw... 3.5
Knob... 1

Initial observations:

Shifter is solid as a rock and quite stiff (side to side stiffness)

First Drive:

The reduction in throw is insane. You have to be more deliberate when shifting, due to the increase spring stiffness. I I thought was gonna have to readjust my settings.

A few drives later with no adjustment:

Completely got accustomed to the stiffness. The shifting is now stupid quick. Everything feels solid, every shift is as clean and crisp as the first. Plus I really like how stiff the spring is; second to third is a simple forward push.

Side notes:

For my preference, a cylinder style shift knob would be easier for leverage and grip using this shifter. So far I’ve been driving it with a ball shift knob which is fine but I will go back to a cylinder style.

Conclusion:

Amazing quality and results. If you haven’t had a full shifter kit before and haven’t done any shifting modifications I would suggest the stage 2 kit. If you don’t mind the extra stiffness, get it!! It’s levels beyond the stage 2.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
This is a copy and paste from my review but here it is!

I came from the stage 2 kit I’m addition to using a 3rd party shift lever and shift knob

Settings used:
Gate Spacing... 2
Throw... 3.5
Knob... 1

Initial observations:

Shifter is solid as a rock and quite stiff (side to side stiffness)

First Drive:

The reduction in throw is insane. You have to be more deliberate when shifting, due to the increase spring stiffness. I I thought was gonna have to readjust my settings.

A few drives later with no adjustment:

Completely got accustomed to the stiffness. The shifting is now stupid quick. Everything feels solid, every shift is as clean and crisp as the first. Plus I really like how stiff the spring is; second to third is a simple forward push.

Side notes:

For my preference, a cylinder style shift knob would be easier for leverage and grip using this shifter. So far I’ve been driving it with a ball shift knob which is fine but I will go back to a cylinder style.

Conclusion:

Amazing quality and results. If you haven’t had a full shifter kit before and haven’t done any shifting modifications I would suggest the stage 2 kit. If you don’t mind the extra stiffness, get it!! It’s levels beyond the stage 2.
Have you had the dreaded 2nd gear grind when speed shifting? And if so did this do anything to help with the issue?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I believe we spoke on IG, but the issue you're having with 1/2 is because the shift knob height is set below the "1" setting. Adjusting to "1" or higher will remedy the issue.

I hightly recommend using a flashlight and looking closely at the mechanism. Watch our video here (click here) and go to around 4:10. It shows some good examples of getting the cable out up close.

Height and rotation of the knob position can be adjusted by removing the bezel around the shift boot that holds the buttons. It's pretty quick. To adjust throw or gate spacing, the full console must be removed. When installing, take some times to play with the gate and throw adjustments and test shift before reinstalling the console. Also, if you want a longer-term test, you can actually omit the lower, large plastic portion of the console, reinstalling only the metal support bar behind the shifter and the upper parts of the console. We drove like this A TON during development of the shifter so we could access it quickly for adjustments and tests.

~russ
I have an lx sedan. It has the 6 speed manual. Since my shifter was designed with the least performance in mind and more for comfort. Is it safe to say that I would probably benefit the most on upgrading to this shifter since stock it is not very impressive? I love my little 2.0 vtec with my six speed, it’s a blast to drive especially since I tuned it. But the shifter seems like it could use some help if you know what I mean

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Have you had the dreaded 2nd gear grind when speed shifting? And if so did this do anything to help with the issue?
I experienced some “crunchiness” when my car was stock brand new (2018 model). I’ve been told the transmission has a break in. Maybe @Jason@USR can speak to that. USR hooked me up with some Amsoil trans fluid at around 5k miles. Even when I had the stage 2 setup I didn’t have any issues. I’m now around 10k miles.
But now the shifts don’t have any “hesitation” if that helps. I was able to rip through gears with this shifter without any issues, felt amazing.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have an lx sedan. It has the 6 speed manual. Since my shifter was designed with the least performance in mind and more for comfort. Is it safe to say that I would probably benefit the most on upgrading to this shifter since stock it is not very impressive? I love my little 2.0 vtec with my six speed, it’s a blast to drive especially since I tuned it. But the shifter seems like it could use some help if you know what I mean
Not to speak for Russ, but I would strongly consider a stage 1 or 2 kit before the stage 3. The results are impressive either way you go. But stage 3 definitely requires greater force.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not to speak for Russ, but I would strongly consider a stage 1 or 2 kit before the stage 3. The results are impressive either way you go. But stage 3 definitely requires greater force.
Well I looked on the website and it states that the stage 1 and 2 kits are for Si, CTR, and sport models. Mine is an lx

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And I also looked on the website and they got the fully adjustable shifter and the stage 3 shifter. So what’s the difference? The stage 3 the same thing but with a shift knob and a couple extra parts?

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@mvela any of the 10th gen manual civics should be compatible with the different kits. The stage 3, in addition to the shifter comes with the cable bushings and the shift knob. The cable bushings alone make a noticeable difference in shifting. If you’re looking just to tighten a few things up then get the stage 1 along with the upgraded centering spring. Their shift knob is super nice. Or get the parts individually without the knob if you have your own you prefer.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I experienced some “crunchiness” when my car was stock brand new (2018 model). I’ve been told the transmission has a break in. Maybe @Jason@USR can speak to that. USR hooked me up with some Amsoil trans fluid at around 5k miles. Even when I had the stage 2 setup I didn’t have any issues. I’m now around 10k miles.
But now the shifts don’t have any “hesitation” if that helps. I was able to rip through gears with this shifter without any issues, felt amazing.

I have about 10k on mine as well. I have less issues with it as it has gotten more miles for sure. But don't know if that is the trans breaking in, or me getting more familiar with the finicky nature of this transmission. Either way, I still can't speed shift 1-2 as fast I am capable. I have to slow it down for the trans to synchronize. I need to change the fluid myself to see if that helps at all.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have about 10k on mine as well. I have less issues with it as it has gotten more miles for sure. But don't know if that is the trans breaking in, or me getting more familiar with the finicky nature of this transmission. Either way, I still can't speed shift 1-2 as fast I am capable. I have to slow it down for the trans to synchronize. I need to change the fluid myself to see if that helps at all.
If you haven’t already while you’re changing the fluid you might as well upgrade the cable bushings.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is it really necessary to change the transmission fluid? Or is the shift kit really what it needs to make it smoother?

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Is it really necessary to change the transmission fluid? Or is the shift kit really what it needs to make it smoother?
I don’t think it’s necessary, but I did it as track prep. The kits do improve on shifting feel. I don’t want to say it makes it any smoother but it allows you to shift more “confidently” if that makes any sense. Each piece helps in removing slop in the system. Those were one of the first mods I did on my car.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So are y’all saying that the stage 3 shifter is too firm? I just like the idea of being able customize the position of the shifter to my liking. But I don’t need it to be too firm. I just want it to be accurate
Sponsored