ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
If I recall correctly, it's capable of over 50% reduction even on the CTR (although wait for the final specs to be released to be sure). I believe the final version is even going to have a note recommending against combining the lowest knob position and shortest throw as it can get unimaginably short. We let it got that short in throw as the tall knob position can make good use of it. Very easy to make the throw a little longer at the lowest knob setting though.
Oh man.....I already want this full shifter bad :drool:
Sponsored

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Man, didn't see the shifting video first......that would help me on the track and the street tremendously.
The throw is so short it would really help on days I'm down to one arm.
Is it your shifting arm that gives you trouble or your other arm? Just keep in mind that throw reduction and shift effort are inversely proportional (so halving throw will double shift effort), and the centering spring on this shifter is stiffer than even our upgraded spring on the OEM shifter. Most people will notice the change at first and quickly get used to the additional effort of the short throws, narrow gates, and heavier spring over perhaps 2-3 weeks at which point it feels quite natural. I just wanted to make the note though in case the additional force might aggravate a prior arm injury. :)

~russ

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Is it your shifting arm that gives you trouble or your other arm? Just keep in mind that throw reduction and shift effort are inversely proportional (so halving throw will double shift effort), and the centering spring on this shifter is stiffer than even our upgraded spring on the OEM shifter. Most people will notice the change at first and quickly get used to the additional effort of the short throws, narrow gates, and heavier spring over perhaps 2-3 weeks at which point it feels quite natural. I just wanted to make the note though in case the additional force might aggravate a prior arm injury. :)

~russ
Both unfortunately. I figured it would require a little more effort in certain directions but the massive reduction would really help me, as with the adjustments.
Appreciate your info!

FK7_ASM

Honda Service Advisor
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT
Oh man...I'm so happy I waited for this! Might have a birthday/Christmas combo present for myself this winter. I can only imagine what this feels like without boost threshold and rev-hang. Guys, just take all my money please!! @ACUITY

OP
OP
baldheadracing

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
FYI, the shifting video is with the shifter set at shortest throw, narrowest gate, and knob set at max. height.

I have been playing around with settings constantly as I want to be sure of my settings before I put the console back on. ATM I have the red leather Type R knob installed at lowest height, throw set at 3.5/5 (5 is shortest throw), and gate at narrowest.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Hmm, well I have alot of mods done to my TypeR shifter setup but this will be purchased and the old stuff sold if it comes in at the mentioned 400 mark, will get with a quickness!

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Hey guys, for those who haven't seen it, here's the Youtube version of the video we premiered on Instagram and Facebook earlier this week.

~russ

summivox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FK8)
Country flag
Which one would you prefer, that knob, the stock one, or the acuity one?

OP
OP
baldheadracing

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Which one would you prefer, that knob, the stock one, or the acuity one?
I don't have a preference. It all depends on how you shift. The ACUITY ESCO is designed for "pistol grip" shifting - like in @powow66 's excellent video in post #23, above. The stock knob lends itself to a "claw grip." The red leather knob is designed for either (according to a Google Translate of the Honda Japanese site). To me, height is the critical dimension.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Two questions and I hope they haven't been answered already but since I'm almost certainly getting this shifter, I must ask...

Does it come with the knob (I'd rather use my own) and does this include all shifter related upgrades or are there still others to consider?

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
baldheadracing

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Two questions and I hope they haven't been answered already but since I'm almost certainly getting this shifter, I must ask...

Does it come with the knob (I'd rather use my own) and does this include all shifter related upgrades or are there still others to consider?

Thanks in advance
I believe that the shifter will be available as a complete kit or just the shifter stand-alone.

IIRC, the stand-alone shifter will not include a knob or shift boot collar. It will include its own shifter base bushings. (The base bushings are a captive design - so much less fuss to install!)

You will want shifter cable bushings in addition to the shifter.