mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Here is a comparison of the acuity knob and the factory knob. I weighed them and the factory knob is heavier by an ounce. But once you add the weight of the collar then they should be exactly the same weight. But as you can see in the picture the esco knob is a little longer which might provide a little leverage while shifting. But like I said I wasn’t able to install it because I need a boot collar. I just ordered the stainless collar. So once it comes in I will install the esco and see how I like it.

Honda Civic 10th gen ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review CAC7CEDA-95C5-4DBE-B3AC-84487E67B41C
Sponsored

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just ordered the other parts to make a stage 2 setup lol. I should’ve just ordered the stage 2 in the first place. I need to start listening to that little voice in my head that was telling me to just go for it! Lol

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
One piece of advice is there really is no need to remove the the two c clips that are holding the shift cables. You see them being pulled off in the video on the acuity website, but isn’t necessary. That just makes the install harder. I left them on and had no problems.
While possible, doing this increases the risk of over-extending the angular range of the pivot joint where the cable goes from the flexible mid section to the rigid section that actuates the lever on the gearbox. If that joint is ever damaged, it requires replacement of the cables (we have another video that goes into more detail about this). While it makes for extra work, removing the clips that hold the cables to the gearbox helps to make it less likely to damage the cables during bushing installation, which is why we generally recommend it. Just posting this so that people can be aware they need to be gentle if they attempt to skip this step. :)

Glad you're enjoying everything so far. Let us know what you think of it once you get the Esco and stainless boot collar on! :)

~Russ

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
While possible, doing this increases the risk of over-extending the angular range of the pivot joint where the cable goes from the flexible mid section to the rigid section that actuates the lever on the gearbox. If that joint is ever damaged, it requires replacement of the cables (we have another video that goes into more detail about this). While it makes for extra work, removing the clips that hold the cables to the gearbox helps to make it less likely to damage the cables during bushing installation, which is why we generally recommend it. Just posting this so that people can be aware they need to be gentle if they attempt to skip this step. :)

Glad you're enjoying everything so far. Let us know what you think of it once you get the Esco and stainless boot collar on! :)

~Russ
Oh I see. Yes I was really gentle and kept the cable as straight as possible the whole time I installed the bushings. But yes if someone was to rough it could damage the cable. But mine came out great. Just need to install the knob. Plus I went ahead and ordered the rest to make it a stage 2.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

~Russ
I got a question Russ. I applied some grease to the cable bushings to. It doesn’t look like any is applied in the video but figured it would be a good idea to help things move more smoothly. Is this recommended?

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I got a question Russ. I applied some grease to the cable bushings to. It doesn’t look like any is applied in the video but figured it would be a good idea to help things move more smoothly. Is this recommended?
Generally, we do not recommend greasing anything that we don't provide grease for or recommend greasing of in install guides. We also suggest using care when picking greases as different types of grease can attack plastics and rubber. Generally speaking, the grease that mechanics normally have on hand for suspension components is not recommended for plastics and rubbers unless it's paired correctly. Silicone grease is generally pretty inert and safe. None the less, the cable bushings are self-lubricating by virtue of the plastics used. Grease on something like that can potentially attract dirt and increase the long-term wear rate. I'd recommend grabbing a rag and wiping off as much of the grease that was added as possible to be safe.

~Russ

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Generally, we do not recommend greasing anything that we don't provide grease for or recommend greasing of in install guides. We also suggest using care when picking greases as different types of grease can attack plastics and rubber. Generally speaking, the grease that mechanics normally have on hand for suspension components is not recommended for plastics and rubbers unless it's paired correctly. Silicone grease is generally pretty inert and safe. None the less, the cable bushings are self-lubricating by virtue of the plastics used. Grease on something like that can potentially attract dirt and increase the long-term wear rate. I'd recommend grabbing a rag and wiping off as much of the grease that was added as possible to be safe.

~Russ
After doing some research on the grease I used, you were right. The grease I used is not good for plastics or rubber. So I’m not gonna be able to get to it for about a eight days. So I’m a little OCD on things like that, so I just ordered some new ones. That way I’ll change them when I’m putting my other new parts in. That was my mistake lol

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
After doing some research on the grease I used, you were right. The grease I used is not good for plastics or rubber. So I’m not gonna be able to get to it for about a eight days. So I’m a little OCD on things like that, so I just ordered some new ones. That way I’ll change them when I’m putting my other new parts in. That was my mistake lol
How much did new cables cost?

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
Just a quick update on the shifter from me - it felt like it's broken in a little after a week or two or use. The centering spring is still firm, but definitely more compliant than when it was first installed.

The throws were starting to feel a bit too long with the more conservative settings I had originally set, so I basically went back in maxed everything out. Its definitely a little bit looser than when new, felt a bit too short and tight when first installed and I was having a hard time feeling out the gate spacing. The shifts are the perfect distance now with a decent amount of definition, still very happy with how snappy everything is!

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just a quick update on the shifter from me - it felt like it's broken in a little after a week or two or use. The centering spring is still firm, but definitely more compliant than when it was first installed.

The throws were starting to feel a bit too long with the more conservative settings I had originally set, so I basically went back in maxed everything out. Its definitely a little bit looser than when new, felt a bit too short and tight when first installed and I was having a hard time feeling out the gate spacing. The shifts are the perfect distance now with a decent amount of definition, still very happy with how snappy everything is!
So would you say the stage 2 was probably a better fit for you, or the stage 3 is better?

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
I had the stage 2 kit for about 6 months and it was really great, but I highly recommend the stage 3. It has more adjustability and feels like a complete unit. It's hard to describe but as someone mentioned, stage 2 feels like an enhanced OEM shifter but stage 3 is kind of it's own thing. It's just very direct and "bolt action", there's not much wiggle room or play.

I don't know if it helped that I had the stage 2 first but I also appreciate that the stage 3 kit includes everything you upgrade plus a few extras. Gate spacing, short shifter, centering spring, and base bushings are all part of the stage 2 but you can adjust the gate and shifter settings individually plus the height and position/angle of the lever with the stage 3. It even includes a fix for the cable shutter in even gears built in!

Again, I highly recommend the full shifter but if your on the fence and/or don't have the dough to throw around you can get stage 2 incrementally. Then, if you like the upgrades, you can always take the dive later for the full kit.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I got the stage 2 shift kit installed. Just gotta drive in now to see how I like it. It looks good though. I will post later to give my opinion. Here’s a couple pictures

Honda Civic 10th gen ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review 511639C4-FE2F-43B3-B4E8-79142F828E39

Honda Civic 10th gen ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review A28BBC1D-1637-4B76-B941-2F812CDB664B

Honda Civic 10th gen ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review 35AD4F29-D95C-440E-BD7D-52FAFB20F223

Honda Civic 10th gen ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review 618800FB-698F-43B5-B9D8-0F9BCE8797C2

Honda Civic 10th gen ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review 63A88B51-04CC-427F-84DB-E4191C220BF9

Honda Civic 10th gen ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review 0004285B-300A-418F-885B-04874F61E24F

Honda Civic 10th gen ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review 47A8D5B8-C9F3-49A2-9131-05370803DFC2

Honda Civic 10th gen ACUITY Prototype 10th-gen Shifter - My review E6A3EF16-E065-475F-BDB7-278414614505

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok I’ll have to admit it took a little getting used to. But it didn’t take long. The stage 2 shift kit is awesome! I’m not going to upgrade. The stage 2 is perfect. The combination of all the upgraded parts work perfectly together. I love it! It feels so precise going through the gears. I highly recommend it. Don’t get the stage 1, just get the stage 2. It is exactly what I wanted. I give thanks to Acuity

dgordon7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - 6MT
Country flag
Ok I’ll have to admit it took a little getting used to. But it didn’t take long. The stage 2 shift kit is awesome! I’m not going to upgrade. The stage 2 is perfect. The combination of all the upgraded parts work perfectly together. I love it! It feels so precise going through the gears. I highly recommend it. Don’t get the stage 1, just get the stage 2. It is exactly what I wanted. I give thanks to Acuity
My experience exactly also and well said. Only difference is I knew at once it was perfect. :) The stage 2 kit is aces. You do this or hope to do it as a one time expense. So glad I did on mine also. Outstanding kit.
Sponsored