FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Excellent. Cant wait to see the comparison and if data shows some tangible difference.

Good luck w install tomorrow.

OP
OP
Drew36

Drew36

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Quick update, almost 100 miles on it and before even breaking it in, I am really happy with the feel of it, I also threw in a hasport 62a RMM. First thing I noticed is under low rpm the engine does not bog like it did before also rev matching is wayyy better

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I'm planning on buying an ACT clutch and single mass flywheel in the spring. I've been facinated by the discussion about how the single mass flywheel causes "chattering".

This is the first car that I've ever driven that had a dual mass flywheel, and I don't like it.

On the other hand, after driving nothing but single mass flywheels all of my life, I can only imagine what you guys are talking about when you talk about "chatter".

As far as I know my Volkswagens didn't have it. My Dodges didn't have it. My Triumph didn't have it. My Nissan didn't have it. My Toyota didn't have it. My Mazda didn't have it. My Prelude didn't have it. But somehow if you put a single mass flywheel in a tenth gen Civic, you'll most always have "chatter". What am I missing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drew36

Drew36

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm planning on buying an ACT clutch and single mass flywheel in the spring. I've been facinated by the discussion about how the single mass flywheel causes "chattering".

This is the first car that I've ever driven that had a dual mass flywheel, and I don't like it.

On the other hand, after driving nothing but single mass flywheels all of my life, I can only imagine what you guys are talking about when you talk about "chatter".

As far as I know my Volkswagens didn't have it. My Dodges didn't have it. My Triumph didn't have it. My Nissan didn't have it. My Toyota didn't have it. My Mazda didn't have it. My Prelude didn't have it. But somehow if you put a single mass flywheel in a tenth gen Civic, you'll most always have "chatter". What am I missing?
Well I can tell you that so far, the engine seems very happy with the 17.5lb flywheel. As for the clutch goes, right off the bat the pedal is barely heavier than oem and the clutch seems to bite a lot quicker and there is no longer a mushy feeling pressing the clutch in.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag

I think people are assuming the smf is causing the chatter. I dont think that to be the case in these cars. Poorly designed pressure plates and disc compounds are the culprit.

If your flywheel is causing chatter that means it has hot spots and you have other problems. Smf havent been the issue for this community, just finding the rest of the assembly that performs well is our problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drew36

Drew36

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I think flexrex is assuming the smf is causing the chatter. I dont think that to be the case in these cars. Poorly designed pressure plates and disc compounds are the culprit.

If your flywheel is causing chatter that means it has hot spots and you have other problems. Smf havent been the issue for this community, just finding the rest of the assembly that performs well is our problem.
Very well said, but I think it was repeet and not flexrex who said it

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Oh i know smf causes chatter. Not cuz of hot spots but because of its single mass. You should read up on it, its unavoidable.

@repeet you sure all those cars had a smf? I doubt it unless you put it in.

In case you don’t believe the chatter then hop into the other thread where op and another poster both have chatter. I experienced it with two of my other cars as well. Its inevitable really with smf.

Lets wait a few weeks and see if op here discovers he hears some new noises too, wouldnt expect any less from a smf.

just a random search for chatter

Honda Civic 10th gen ACT Clutch + Lightweight Flywheel Unboxing & Review 47A1BFC2-C9B3-48CE-8782-141C0CB93AC9

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh i know smf causes chatter. Not cuz of hot spots but because of its single mass. You should read up on it, its unavoidable.

In case you don’t believe the chatter then hop into the other thread where op and another poster both have chatter. I experienced it with two of my other cars as well. Its inevitable really with smf.

Lets wait a few weeks and see if op here discovers he hears some new noises too, wouldnt expect any less from a smf.
Im confused, by that logic the type r and my mk4 jetta both should chatter from factory

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And to be clear for anyone else reading. Rex doesnt "know" as he doesnt have a civic. He is assuming based off his readings.

Absolutes arent too helpful to new people trying to learn.

OP
OP
Drew36

Drew36

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

So far (obviously not broken in yet) reverse has a very faint amount of chatter at very low rmp there is also a slight vibration that has developed in my car, but I am certain that is due to the RMM I put in. Just got the car back so I will continue posting updates.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
@Maroco i am not confused man. I have experienced it firsthand. Twice. Using smf twice. You can stay confused, your choice.

But chatter is real. Now some ppl may never hear it w 62 or 70 durometer mounts and other mods like exhaust.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Maroco i am not confused man. I have experienced it firsthand. Twice. Using smf twice. You can stay confused, your choice.

But chatter is real. Now some ppl may never hear it w 62 or 70 durometer mounts and other mods like exhaust.
There is multiple reasons for chatter is my point. Confirmation bias aside. Saying a smf absolutely will cause chatter isnt true. Can it cause it, sure. Will it? Depends on many factors including flywheel weight, disc comp etc.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Lol @Maroco. At least i know where to classify you from now on as far giving weight to your posts.

@Drew36 no noise at all when idling in neutral with clutch not depressed to the floor? How about if you just depress the clutch? Any changes/noises?
Sponsored