Accidentally shifted to R in Si briefly...

Is it alright?

• Total voters

RiceIsBliss

First Name
Wen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2018 Coupe
Country flag
Heya!

So today, stupidly, I shifted into reverse in my 2018 Si very briefly (~1 second) while not stopped (I would say ~5 mph?) I heard a gnashing noise and with my hands still on the shifter, took it off right away.

How much damage have I done? I've seen some forum posts that say it's alright, but... Is it just a bit of synchro wear/tear?

Needless to say, from now on I'll be making sure I'm at full stop before shifting.
Sponsored

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I researched this once before, and most people said that if your car is traveling at a decent speed it won't do anything.

I always imagined maybe the same thing would happen as if you shut off your car while cruising:

Anyway, if yours made a sound maybe you weren't going "fast enough," but I don't think you destroyed anything either.

OP
OP

RiceIsBliss

First Name
Wen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2018 Coupe
Country flag
I researched this once before, and most people said that if your car is traveling at a decent speed it won't do anything.

I always imagined maybe the same thing would happen as if you shut off your car while cruising:

Anyway, if yours made a sound maybe you weren't going "fast enough," but I don't think you destroyed anything either.
Hm, weird. I would have figured it would do more damage the higher speed.

For the record, it's a manual transmission.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, that's all I drive as well but I looked up both. I'll look at it all again in a second. But yeah, they basically said that the car is aware it's not supposed to go into reverse to it just treats it like neutral or something. Of course, that's dependent on the makers as well.

Actually now that I recall, I think it's the automatic that it does nothing, and for a manual I believe it was near impossible to actually make happen.

I'm kind of afraid of driving a 6-speed and have that happen when shifting from 5th to 6th. I just think that's something that could actually happen by accident. I've gone 1st to 4th before in my 5-speed by accident as well (though 3rd to 2nd is a more common mishap).

OP
OP

RiceIsBliss

First Name
Wen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2018 Coupe
Country flag
Yeah, that's all I drive as well but I looked up both. I'll look at it all again in a second. But yeah, they basically said that the car is aware it's not supposed to go into reverse to it just treats it like neutral or something. Of course, that's dependent on the makers as well.

Actually now that I recall, I think it's the automatic that it does nothing, and for a manual I believe it was near impossible to actually make happen.

I'm kind of afraid of driving a 6-speed and have that happen when shifting from 5th to 6th. I just think that's something that could actually happen by accident. I've gone 1st to 4th before in my 5-speed by accident as well (though 3rd to 2nd is a more common mishap).
Alright, so it basically gnashed at me as a big warning to never do it again, but didn't fuck up my transmission? That's a relief.

I think with the 10th gen, the reverse actually locks out after some speed, so I physically can't move my shifter over there.

Thanks!

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I could be totally wrong though! I'm just saying based on what others said.

Seriously though, it would be hilarious if your car just flipped. Like in a morbid kind of way...

OP
OP

RiceIsBliss

First Name
Wen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2018 Coupe
Country flag
I could be totally wrong though! I'm just saying based on what others said.

Seriously though, it would be hilarious if your car just flipped. Like in a morbid kind of way...
Yeah what kinda whack physics... LOL

Hoang_Honda

First Name
Hoang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Accord V6 Touring. 17 Civic Si Coupe.
Country flag
You did it once? I think its totally fine. Its nothing compare to my coworker which I carpool with, his driving habit is worse. He always shift before the car completely stop from D to R or R to D. For me one time I was in Sport mode I didnt know my rpm can go over 8k so fast in 1st gear that I hold for couple of sec, and I constantly lost all the power and my rpm drop really fast to 3k. Luckily I managed shift to 2nd gear and the car was still running.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I wouldn’t worry it takes a lot of those accidental shifts to break something. If anything you wore the synchros and the reverse gear down, probably so little you wouldn’t be able to tell honestly. Just try to keep those occurrences rare!

TheAsianNguyen

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Alright, so it basically gnashed at me as a big warning to never do it again, but didn't fuck up my transmission? That's a relief.

I think with the 10th gen, the reverse actually locks out after some speed, so I physically can't move my shifter over there.

Thanks!
I can confirm that at 10mph+ It will lock out reverse gear.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Over the years, I’ve probably grinded reverse 100 times either being inpatient or the gears weren’t aligned in Honda’s I put many miles on w never a problem. I wouldn’t make a habit of it but I wouldn’t worry about it either. You’re pretty much going to grind a gear from time to time...imo

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Over the years, I’ve probably grinded reverse 100 times either being inpatient or the gears weren’t aligned in Honda’s I put many miles on w never a problem. I wouldn’t make a habit of it but I wouldn’t worry about it either. You’re pretty much going to grind a gear from time to time...imo

This

I've at least 10 years of experience driving stick and as good as you can be you will never drive perfectly ALL the time.

You can get tired, irritated, distracted, and you make some mistakes and I even got a VW to 100k on the original clutch and transmission so.....

You'll be okay

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
how do you accidentally hit reverse at low speeds? it takes extra effort to push over into R and that area is where 5th and 6th is..

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
It prevents you from shifting in the opposite gear at speed to prevent damage. If you ground it a bit at low speed, it probably popped back out almost immediately. You'll be fine.
Sponsored