Accidentally shifted from S to N (EX-T CVT)

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
I was accelerating while in S and went to shift back to D when I reached around 40mph and accidentally went all the way to neutral. I heard the engine rev and immediately took my foot off the gas pedal and shifted back to D. When I looked at the RPMs while switching from N, they were around 2K, I'm not sure how high the RPMs got while I revved the engine.

I wondering if anyone knew the specifics of how the computer of the car works in this specific situation. I believe it was able to match the engine speed to the transmission because there was nothing noticeable when I shifted from N to D so hopefully the transmission is alright?

I was also wondering if anyone knew if the computer would cut off the fuel injectors when in N before the redline is reached or only when the redline is reached?

thanks.
Sponsored

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a manual, so I know it is not the same transmission, but I have missed a shift while driving aggressively next to someone(so basically in neutral) and the engine got up near the red line. I hit the rev limiter, so it does cut before redlining it.

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
Your car's fine. There is a rev limiter on it. Also it's not like you neutral dropped it for a burn out.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
It's almost impossible to back drive your engine over redline with a CVT.

Essentially the engine rev'ed because you were still on the gas and u were in neutral. Worst that happens is you bounce off the rev limiter, which is there to protect the engine, you'll be fine.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
My old accord I would gun it once in a while petal to the floor and would have it in manual mode. It wont let you hit dangerous RPMs. I wouldn't be worried.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've done it a few times on my Murano, the Tiptronic is on the gear box. I was just careless but regardless I do prefer this set up over Paddle Shifters.

Really, what can you do except cross your fingers. It's not like you can correct it.
Sponsored