Accidentally reset my break in oil life in maintenance minder

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I think I accidentally reset my oil life counter in the system settings (maintenance info). I think it was around 80% but honestly it might have been 70 or 60%. This is a brand new car so it still has the break-in oil which I hear is bad to switch out before running it's course. Should I just estimate when it will reach 0%?

Why on earth is there no confirmation? I did it again today while it still reads 100% just to see if it's possible to do accidentally and from what I can tell there's no confirmation before you do it and not even a confirmation after that it was done. The rest of my Maintenance Minders should be ok right? It's not possible to reset them all with one click? Also is it possible an ECU flash reset the oil life (and also the rest of the MM schedule)? I did that this week as well as messing around in the menus so is it possible I didn't reset it but Ktuner did?
Sponsored

blond183

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I did the same thing on my car. I just did the oil change as soon as I reset it. It should not affect the break in of the vehicle, most people say to change out the oil as soon as you hit the break in miles. Honestly just do what ever you feel is right.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
So I think I accidentally reset my oil life counter in the system settings (maintenance info). I think it was around 80% but honestly it might have been 70 or 60%. This is a brand new car so it still has the break-in oil which I hear is bad to switch out before running it's course. Should I just estimate when it will reach 0%?

Why on earth is there no confirmation? I did it again today while it still reads 100% just to see if it's possible to do accidentally and from what I can tell there's no confirmation before you do it and not even a confirmation after that it was done. The rest of my Maintenance Minders should be ok right? It's not possible to reset them all with one click? Also is it possible an ECU flash reset the oil life (and also the rest of the MM schedule)? I did that this week as well as messing around in the menus so is it possible I didn't reset it but Ktuner did?
Every 5000 miles

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

I would suggest taking the step that would recover you from this mistake, and ESTIMATE when the Counter would have reached the recommended "1st Oil Change".

ie Subtract the pre mistake usage amount (100-60%) = 40% from your current reading, so when it's down to what would have been say 20%, and it is reading 20% + 40% = 60%, it's time for the 1st oil change.

Might be worth taking a picture of the Current State ie Mileage and 100% oil, so that if need be, and you are getting a dealer to change the oil, you can prove what happened.

Dealers are told by Honda not to do the 1st oil change until the usage gets below a certain amount -- one assumes Honda has a good reason for doing this, so unless you know different, I would (in this case) follow Honda's recommendations.

After the 1st Oil change, I see no reason why you cannot change the oil as prematurely as you want -- It's your money !!!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Every 5000 miles

I agree,

DAILo, oil change / break in is not a rocket science.
What do we do when cars have no Maintenance Minder ? :lol:

To me MM is only a gadget I don't need.
An accessory like so many others in our modern life that should not prevent us from thinking for ourselves

ZestiCarLover

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
LOL I did the same thing my only concern is I get free oil changes from Honda dealership up to 60k miles I only have 6k miles whats the normal mileage for oil changes I did one at 5k isnt it 10K for the mileage reminder oil life?????

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
LOL I did the same thing my only concern is I get free oil changes from Honda dealership up to 60k miles I only have 6k miles whats the normal mileage for oil changes I did one at 5k isnt it 10K for the mileage reminder oil life?????

M Minder check your driving habits.

Short answer;
1- Short city driving, 5K miles
2-Long hgw driving , 10K
Sponsored