Accidentally put Premium for First Fill-up...

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I was out of gas, happened to be at an advanced auto parts and bought a bottle of 108 octane fuel to get me to a gas station. Felt Peppy, but probably my imagination. I went to fill up with 87 and wasted a few dollars on a few bottles of octane booster as a joke. Still feels peppy on the throttle, but again probably my imagination.:)
Placebo effect
Sponsored

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
Placebo effect
The ecoboost 4 cylinder mustang runs 12 hp lower on 87 vs 93 ... in theory with the Si being a dud and the numbers "too close" ... perhaps ... knowing that the 1.5L is suggested to be "underrated" ... there could be some relevance here. Is the "sport" nothing more than marketing "lingo" ... LOL ... from the group who marketed brilliantly the "I hit vetech" buzz ... is putting 93 in my coupe going to grant me "sport" HP?

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The ecoboost 4 cylinder mustang runs 12 hp lower on 87 vs 93 ... in theory with the Si being a dud and the numbers "too close" ... perhaps ... knowing that the 1.5L is suggested to be "underrated" ... there could be some relevance here. Is the "sport" nothing more than marketing "lingo" ... LOL ... from the group who marketed brilliantly the "I hit vetech" buzz ... is putting 93 in my coupe going to grant me "sport" HP?
Apparently you actually do gain a HP boost from this 1.5L with higher octane.

I read somewhere here that the non sport models get 180hp if you fill it with 91 octane as well lol.

Sometimes I don't understand the point of the sport model.

It was a lot more than the base model.

Fill the base model with 91 octane or get a tune, wouldn't it make it faster than the sport model lol.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd like to see some actual evidence that shows putting 91 octane in the non Sport models with turbo will give you the extra performance boost, instead of all the "I read that somewhere" comments.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I'd like to see some actual evidence that shows putting 91 octane in the non Sport models with turbo will give you the extra performance boost, instead of all the "I read that somewhere" comments.
I'm convinced enough to try Premium in my LX, next fillup. I got mid grade in there now.

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
Nothing will happen to your de-tuned 1.5T, I am running my Sport Touring on 94 all the time... Still not make enough power than I expected

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nothing will happen to your de-tuned 1.5T, I am running my Sport Touring on 94 all the time... Still not make enough power than I expected
You seem to post a lot about how much you dislike that the engine doesn't make enough power. In all seriousness, did you not test drive it first before you bought it? Whether a car makes enough power is one of the first things you will notice when you test drive a car.

I find it funny that many people who drive cars that recommend premium fuel are always asking if hey can use lower octane fuel because they want to save money on gas. Yet so many Civic owners I find are willing to throw as much money as they can at the already rich oil companies on the highest octane fuel, when their cars only require 87. This was same back when I had my 96 Civic. Even back then people were throwing their money away on 91 octane in their 106 HP 1.6L D-series engines.

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You seem to post a lot about how much you dislike that the engine doesn't make enough power. In all seriousness, did you not test drive it first before you bought it? Whether a car makes enough power is one of the first things you will notice when you test drive a car.

I find it funny that many people who drive cars that recommend premium fuel are always asking if hey can use lower octane fuel because they want to save money on gas. Yet so many Civic owners I find are willing to throw as much money as they can at the already rich oil companies on the highest octane fuel, when their cars only require 87. This was same back when I had my 96 Civic. Even back then people were throwing their money away on 91 octane in their 106 HP 1.6L D-series engines.
When I went for a test drive, the salesperson told me "you just drove a de-tuned version of this engine, yours will have 20 more hp" that's how I got owned..... seriously I always put 94 in small displacement engine because when I got that Focus RS the check engine light will come when I use 91..... So if it is a small displacement turbocharged engine I will throw money at them. If this is a Hemi 392(which is what 392 in my user name stands for) I will just put 89 in it.......

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
The only reason you want to use higher octane is to prevent knocking, usually in high-compression engines. Honda doesn't sell high-compression engines. Don't waste your money. (Trust me, I have a sweet BMW F30 Sport Line which requires high octane - paying an extra $0.60 per gallon sucks)

Octane ratings measure a gasoline's ability to resist engine knock — a rattling or pinging sound that results from premature ignition of the compressed fuel-air mixture in one or more cylinders. Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane), and premium (usually 92 or 93). The ratings are posted on bright yellow stickers on each gas pump.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0210-paying-premium-high-octane-gasoline

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I went for a test drive, the salesperson told me "you just drove a de-tuned version of this engine, yours will have 20 more hp" that's how I got owned..... seriously I always put 94 in small displacement engine because when I got that Focus RS the check engine light will come when I use 91..... So if it is a small displacement turbocharged engine I will throw money at them. If this is a Hemi 392(which is what 392 in my user name stands for) I will just put 89 in it.......
The 1.5L (non-Si) comes with either 174 HP or 180 HP. There is no 20 HP difference. Sounds like you test drove a Civic with the 2.0L, which is a completely different engine, not a "de-tuned" version of the 1.5. Or the sales person lied to you.

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 1.5L (non-Si) comes with either 174 HP or 180 HP. There is no 20 HP difference. Sounds like you test drove a Civic with the 2.0L, which is a completely different engine, not a "de-tuned" version of the 1.5. Or the sales person lied to you.
I think I got scammed......Anyway, I am planning on rebuilding my engine with my own designer as a project later this year, instead of trade it in for a type R

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
The only reason you want to use higher octane is to prevent knocking, usually in high-compression engines. Honda doesn't sell high-compression engines. Don't waste your money. (Trust me, I have a sweet BMW F30 Sport Line which requires high octane - paying an extra $0.60 per gallon sucks)

Octane ratings measure a gasoline's ability to resist engine knock — a rattling or pinging sound that results from premature ignition of the compressed fuel-air mixture in one or more cylinders. Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane), and premium (usually 92 or 93). The ratings are posted on bright yellow stickers on each gas pump.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0210-paying-premium-high-octane-gasoline

Yes and ... no. The Ford ST forum does suggest that you CAN use 87 octane but when you do use 93 the price hike pays for itself and MORE with the gas mileage realized over time. I am suggesting the same "may" be true with the 1.5L. I dropped in the panel K&N filter for more "air" for the air fuel mix and with 87 octane run consistent 37/38 MPG with my daily run to work back and forth combo of highway and stop lights. with the higher octane (93) I am running over 40 so far (still doing my experiment) so frankly it MAY be a "wash" to pay more for gas day one but getting more out of it over time plus as suggested a bigger punch off the line. Agreed ... we need real numbers here and not just a bunch of chatter. It's human nature to stand on one side of this issue and ONLY one side: "I heard from an inside source at Honda we get this under rated engine AND with premium fuel get 180 HP and 200 ft lbs torque for free." or "My dad is a wise man and has told me that putting in high octane results in butt dyno placebo effect plus dry on-detonated hydrocarbons gooooing up the engine internals - don't play the fool - and don't be the one to waste your hard earned money". LOL ... this is our Country ... republican vs democrat ... LOL LOL LOL
Sponsored