Accidentally put Premium for First Fill-up...

VTECYO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Hey guys, new member here. I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but just got a new EX-T a week and a half ago and I was due for my first fill-up today. Went to a local BP and I could've sworn I hit the 87 button initially but after I finished, I saw that I was charged for 93! I'm paranoid right now as to what will happen with the engine, especially once my second fill come up. Will it be ok the 2nd time if I put 87? Thanks again all!
Sponsored

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shouldn't hurt anything. You just spent more thn you needed to. If you're concerned put in some regular at 3/4 or 1/2 tank.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't worry. The car will run fine. You might notice a little extra pep while its running higher octane but it won't hurt the car at all. Just refill with regular octane on the next fill up.

OP
OP

VTECYO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Thanks for the reasurrance guys! This is my first Honda ever; I've always been a Toyota/Scion guy before then. I'm pretty much babying the car ever since I got it ha

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
Hey guys, new member here. I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but just got a new EX-T a week and a half ago and I was due for my first fill-up today. Went to a local BP and I could've sworn I hit the 87 button initially but after I finished, I saw that I was charged for 93! I'm paranoid right now as to what will happen with the engine, especially once my second fill come up. Will it be ok the 2nd time if I put 87? Thanks again all!
I have experimented with several octanes. IMHO, I find that my new Touring runs smoothest and peppiest with 93 Shell. I have not heard that this would hurt my cool 2016 Civic.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
It won't 'hurt'. The higher the octane count, the more controlled the 'explosion' of the fuel is, so lower octane gas is potentially more 'dangerous'. That's with E85 and such aside... I'm pretty sure Shell 93 has NO ethanol content.

tmach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L (and 1988 Fiero GT for the heck of it)
I've tried a couple of tanks of each grade since getting an EX-L, and the most surprising thing I've noticed between octane levels is the mileage. I don't know if it makes sense, but I tend to average about 2 fewer MPG on 87 octane. (35/36 average on 89/93 octane vs. 33/34 on the two tanks of 87). I know that really isn't enough to definitely say there's better mileage in higher octane, but it does seem fairly consistent so far. Not that 2 MPG is enough to justify the price difference. It does seem to run a little better off the higher octane as well, but it isn't a big difference.

Didn't Honda engineers say the 1.5 puts out a couple more HP with higher octane as well, or am I thinking of something else?

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Honda engineers said it made no difference which octane you use bc the ECU will adjust the timing regardless so performance should be the same.

If you search this forum for "octane" you'll find a few threads already discussing it. In one of those threads someone posted a video of an interview with the lead engineer on this car and the reporter asked him about octane. His response was basically, we worked hard to make it so you can use regular gas in this car. Don't waste your money and buy a higher octane bc it won't do anything for you.

That being said on my most recent fill up I decided to give the 91 a try to test it out for myself. I haven't noticed any difference in performance but I have noticed a 1L/100km decrease in fuel economy.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That would follow. The performance increase you would see would be almost imperceptible, anyway. It would be more relevant with a more aggressive tune or higher boost levels.

chessman122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
I have already filled my 2016 touring coupe up with octane booster just because I like it. It just seems to run a bit smoother, but no harm buddy.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have already filled my 2016 touring coupe up with octane booster just because I like it. It just seems to run a bit smoother, but no harm buddy.
A while back, I had a 93 octane chip for my '00 VW Passat. I was looking into ways to boost the 91 at the local pumps to 93. Found those bottles of booster only increase a full tank by 0.1 or so (they call it a 'point')! So you'd need a fair bit to do anything noticeable. Marketing magic.