AC Whistle Noise - 2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ?

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Good news is I'm gonna try a different dealer this time, bringing in a video as well showing the noise issue when turning on and off the AC, was trying to figure out if I'm doing anything specific when it happens but it was hot the first day and 55 last night, so ambient temperature makes no difference. Really hoping it makes noise tomorrow and will make sure they check and record pressures.
Sponsored

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Definitely good to get all the data and video evidence possible. The one thing that I did have a little trouble with at service was them not believing that it stopped and started with the on and off of the AC. I got lucky on the third visit in total that it was in full trot and made all kinds of noise so they could see it happen for them.

On the pressures side though, remember that my levels were all proper. The specified quantity of refrigerant was in the system and the issue persisted even after they recharged it.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Did y'all try switching fan speeds and venting modes to see if it has any effect?

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did y'all try switching fan speeds and venting modes to see if it has any effect?
The key info to keep in mind is that the moment you disable just the AC (Go into the touchscreen and press OFF), the sound stops. The sound immediately starts again when you force it to ON. This is an exceedingly specific and system isolating test and result.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK, reporting back in from today's visit.

The condenser was replaced and they also did replace the suction hose that was part # superseded. No hint at all of the sound on the drive home or later in the evening today. As always, the proper test will be tomorrow in the morning.

Best part at least so far is no cost still.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The key info to keep in mind is that the moment you disable just the AC (Go into the touchscreen and press OFF), the sound stops. The sound immediately starts again when you force it to ON. This is an exceedingly specific and system isolating test and result.
Without knowing all the details of how the system works, I'm not sure it's so specific. Turning the AC on and off could also simultaneously activate some gates that redirect the flow of air. E.g. those gates that redirect the flow of air to different vents can be controlled by wire either manually or automatically.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Without knowing all the details of how the system works, I'm not sure it's so specific. Turning the AC on and off could also simultaneously activate some gates that redirect the flow of air. E.g. those gates that redirect the flow of air to different vents can be controlled by wire either manually or automatically.
Not an unreasonable assertion but at this point, exceedingly unlikely for one good reason...

Today, the car made no noise at all. None first thing in the morning. None when I had to shuttle around for over an hour in the middle of the day and none coming home or going back out for an errand.

Also, keep in mind that when I am describing the issue it is as follows:
  • All climate systems off = no noise
  • Only AC off = no noise
  • Fan at any speed with AC off = no noise
  • Outlets set at any point and AC off = no noise
  • Fan at any speed with AC on = noise
  • Outlets set at any point and AC on = noise
  • Recirc on or off with AC on = noise
Also note, I did mention that the service dept did tell me that there are changes to the air pathways when AC is activated but even they couldn't find noise around those specific points. They had just first assumed back pressure from my very dirty cabin filter. After replacing it, the issue still persisted.

Now that I have the siphon tube replaced, no noise for over 24 hours with almost 3.5 hours of drivetime in that period. I will be reporting back in at least one more time, that being regarding if it passes the morning start again tomorrow. If so, this will be the first time since last summer or earlier that I have had ANY days, let alone two in a row where it doesn't do it like clockwork first thing in the morning.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Alright. Reporting in with good news once again. Day two with NO noise from the AC at all. I am calling this licked at this point. I have the work order from this last service if anyone wants to see it. Keeping in mind that I have a 2.0 NA and not the 1.5T and that the W/O has the warranty replacement for the condenser too.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Five days on now and no sign of the noise at all. Not first thing in the morning, not warmed up, nothing.

Stick a fork in this, it is done.

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
So the question is how how do we convince Honda that our cars make a noise that they are aware of because they replaced the part in 2019, yet we ain't paying for the replacement?!? Not all of us are lucky to have a dealership like yours, can you share you're dealer paperwork with us so we can try to take it to our dealer?

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here is the W/O with all the sensitive parts taken off. Don't care about the plate # as they aren't the issue that some people think they are :)

And to anyone that uses this to help them through the process, note a couple things:

• The work on this also included an unrelated but discovered during the investigative work, need to replace the condenser under warranty.
  • They show that they tried replacing the cabin air filter (Which was filthy and I did have to pay for)
  • My car is the 2.0 NA and not the 1.5T so if you have the turbo, you need to reference the part # as they appear on the first page of this thread

Good luck to all who are dealing with this issue! I kept as cool a head as possible when dealing with everyone at the dealership.

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? 0002_190616092106_001

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Well i have not had a chance to contact the dealer yet to take it back. Although i have not heard a whistling noise lately, it has transformed into a new noise when the AC is running. It literally sounds like water is rushing through my dashboard whenever the AC is running. Could this also be a sign that the refrigerant is low? I'm reluctant to take it back to dealership as it seems like they are just complete morons or are aware of the issue but Honda is pushing it down they're throats not to fix these issues as to avoid a massive recall on all AC systems before 2019...... thoughts?

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
yes, the whistle is pretty much gone and is replaced with this awful noise now, it reminds me of the noise my old truck made that had coolant issues and every time the system surged you could hear the coolant rush through your dash except its constant.
Sponsored