AC Whistle Noise - 2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ?

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Wish you every success, however you plan to get there.
The goal is to get it fixed .. so good luck ... let us know how it goes ...
You got it! My plan is to trust the process that Honda has laid in place and be a polite customer and let the dealer to try and figure it out. I work in a service industry, SysAdmin actually, and when a staff member waves a M$ article in my face about a KB update for an exchange server because they can't login to their email ... because they forgot their password mind you... I start to not take that employee as seriously anymore.

When you're working with a few other groups to fix your issue it's important to see it from their side too to know how to plan your approach.

Trust me, I got this. (well, we'll see.)
Sponsored

Felix2017

First Name
Connie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Bonjourno!

So I appreciate where you're coming from, but I trust my dealer and I am going to give them the chance to figure it out for themselves. They have one of the best service departments I've ever been to, and I want to see what they come up with first before I pull the TSB card, show me pressures of the AC system etc.

Will update tomorrow when I get home. Supposed to be a bit of snow here tomorrow but I'm still goin' in.
I am going to my dealer tomorrow and while I have already been told they don’t see those service bulletins, I think it might be worthwhile to request (politely) that they test the beginning and ending pressures in the system, simply because (as others have pointed out) it sort of muddies the water if they replace the compressor AND recharge the system. If the system is quite low on refrigerant then it would seem that a leak is to blame and not a faulty compressor or other part, right?

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am going to my dealer tomorrow and while I have already been told they don’t see those service bulletins, I think it might be worthwhile to request (politely) that they test the beginning and ending pressures in the system, simply because (as others have pointed out) it sort of muddies the water if they replace the compressor AND recharge the system. If the system is quite low on refrigerant then it would seem that a leak is to blame and not a faulty compressor or other part, right?
Edmonton eh? I bought my 2015 V6 Accord from Sherwood Honda!

Eh, I know my dealer, and I am much more interested in seeing what they come up with going in with me giving them no knowledge of what I know. I want to see what they say it is. Then, I will go from there.

Felix2017

First Name
Connie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Edmonton eh? I bought my 2015 V6 Accord from Sherwood Honda!

Eh, I know my dealer, and I am much more interested in seeing what they come up with going in with me giving them no knowledge of what I know. I want to see what they say it is. Then, I will go from there.
So how did you end up in Halifax? (Off topic, I know)

Reactions: jeb

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
You got it! My plan is to trust the process that Honda has laid in place and be a polite customer and let the dealer to try and figure it out. I work in a service industry, SysAdmin actually, and when a staff member waves a M$ article in my face about a KB update for an exchange server because they can't login to their email ... because they forgot their password mind you... I start to not take that employee as seriously anymore.

When you're working with a few other groups to fix your issue it's important to see it from their side too to know how to plan your approach.

Trust me, I got this. (well, we'll see.)
100% agree ...
Also
"You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar"

Reactions: jeb

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Alright! Got my car back, Looks like they found the system was low on charge and the condenser is leaking. They are ordering parts and will get back to me when they come in and make an appointment. Here are the notes.

rgUtHHF.png

r3K6eC8.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Alright! Got my car back, Looks like they found the system was low on charge and the condenser is leaking. They are ordering parts and will get back to me when they come in and make an appointment. Here are the notes.

rgUtHHF.png

r3K6eC8.png

So they found some "Spot" leaks ? HOW :dunno:
Was there already DYE in the system ? when was that put in ?

Oh well, there seems to be a pattern of the whistle here in the USA being caused by Low Refrigerant - cause by some form of leak -- typically the Condenser.

Maybe the condenser is prone to getting damage (from road debris ?)

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So they found some "Spot" leaks ? HOW :dunno:
Was there already DYE in the system ? when was that put in ?

Oh well, there seems to be a pattern of the whistle here in the USA being caused by Low Refrigerant - cause by some form of leak -- typically the Condenser.

Maybe the condenser is prone to getting damage (from road debris ?)
Incase you're not familiar with AC systems, there are leak detectors that will find them with audible alarms. There's more than one way to find a leak on an AC system. Car or home Ac.

You really have it out for dealers don't you? Lol.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You really have it out for dealers don't you? Lol.
I guess I do ... having had some very bad experiences with Honda Dealers in the past few year, one recently that was so bad that I am under a NDA not to talk about them after the settlement !!

Felix2017

First Name
Connie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

rgUtHHF.png

r3K6eC8.png
I still haven’t got the final verdict on what the problem is and it’s mainly because of the service advisor I got first time around (who was not helpful at all). But there is another guy who is going to help me get this sorted out in the next day or two, or at least he’s going to try his best.

Last edited:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Anyone out there that has had work have a reportback on how it is holding up? I still plan on taking mine in but am just curious as I don't plan to go in till I am back from a trip at the end of the month.

Although it is interesting that so far, it seems that the most common denominator is that the A/C systems seem to be low on pressure or that regardless of any part replacement, once the coolant is refilled to spec, most people aren't back here to say much of anything.

Felix2017

First Name
Connie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone out there that has had work have a reportback on how it is holding up? I still plan on taking mine in but am just curious as I don't plan to go in till I am back from a trip at the end of the month.

Although it is interesting that so far, it seems that the most common denominator is that the A/C systems seem to be low on pressure or that regardless of any part replacement, once the coolant is refilled to spec, most people aren't back here to say much of anything.
This is apparently the situation with my car—they refilled the refrigerant and then they couldn’t hear the noise—but it remains to be seen how long it will be before the noise is back. It could actually be months if it is a very slow leak. The other possibility that my service advisor mentioned is that my car could have come from the factory with a low refrigerant level. Somehow I don’t think that’s the case, although apparently there was a case where a new car had no refrigerant at all! Anyway, whatever you do, make really sure that they put contrast /dye into the system so that they can check for leaks later. I will be going back at the end of the month and apparently they will use some kind of “blue” light that will show the areas where the dye is leaking out (if in fact there are leaks in the system).

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Thanks for the followup post!

The other possibility that my service advisor mentioned is that my car could have come from the factory with a low refrigerant level.
This is not impossible. Mistakes have happened enough that the service manager actually admitted to me that other models and generations of Hondas, and recently, have come with low refrigerant and that they also made the noise I described. Mistakes can certainly happen. I remember that the 2016 Civics with the 2.0 NA were coming with improper assembly on some section of the engine and there was a recall only weeks after the cars were being shipped to the dealerships.

I will be going back at the end of the month and apparently they will use some kind of “blue” light that will show the areas where the dye is leaking out (if in fact there are leaks in the system).
That will be well timed for me at least. I do hope that this is a one and done solution for you.
Sponsored