AC Whistle Noise - 2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ?

Felix2017

First Name
Connie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Yeah... well... here's hoping I'm more of a...
Linny.jpg
Guess what—it looks like I’ll be joining the guinea pig club! At least that’s what I’m told - but I find it hard to believe that I’m the first owner (in my city or region or Canada?? I don’t know) to be dealing with this problem! I know there are other Canadian owners who have posted about this same issue.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guess what—it looks like I’ll be joining the guinea pig club! At least that’s what I’m told - but I find it hard to believe that I’m the first owner (in my city or region or Canada?? I don’t know) to be dealing with this problem! I know there are other Canadian owners who have posted about this same issue.
Well... my guinea pig experience to try and get the TSB to happened turned out more like this...
Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? pig1218_small

Still... I did get warranty work done that was covered that did make the noise go away. I don't have high hopes it's going to stay away though, to be honest. I just hope if it comes back, it comes back in the next 1.5 years before the bumper to bumper warranty is toast.

Felix2017

First Name
Connie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Well... my guinea pig experience to try and get the TSB to happened turned out more like this...
pig1218_small.jpg

Still... I did get warranty work done that was covered that did make the noise go away. I don't have high hopes it's going to stay away though, to be honest. I just hope if it comes back, it comes back in the next 1.5 years before the bumper to bumper warranty is toast.
LOL — yes, well I have the same concern as you—I want to see this really and truly solved before the warranty runs out!

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
I need to get this done but on top of getting them to acknowledge the issue and fix, I don't want to deal with having to a) uninstalling parts and reverting back to stock or b) explaining that the installed bolt ons have are unrelated to the AC compressor

:hmm:

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I need to get this done but on top of getting them to acknowledge the issue and fix, I don't want to deal with having to a) uninstalling parts and reverting back to stock or b) explaining that the installed bolt ons have are unrelated to the AC compressor

:hmm:
In that case, buy the 2019 part for about $50, and pay an independent Auto shop to swap out the part & recharge your system.

The replacement part is Honda Oem, and I doubt if any Dealer would be able to tell the part had been changed, unless they removed it and examined it closely, comparing it with the 2018 part vs 2019 part.

Note: It may be that all that is needed is your system topped off / recharged.
Seems to have worked for Charles :) (so far)

But as you probably appreciate, if some Dealers see ANY Mods, they use it as an excuse not to do anything, no matter how unrelated the mod is.
Maybe if your Dealer is like that, it's time to find another Dealer ... plenty of them around, all competing with each other in the SHARK POOL of Honda Dealerships.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
In that case, buy the 2019 part for about $50, and pay an independent Auto shop to swap out the part & recharge your system.

The replacement part is Honda Oem, and I doubt if any Dealer would be able to tell the part had been changed, unless they removed it and examined it closely, comparing it with the 2018 part vs 2019 part.

Note: It may be that all that is needed is your system topped off / recharged.
Seems to have worked for Charles :) (so far)

But as you probably appreciate, if some Dealers see ANY Mods, they use it as an excuse not to do anything, no matter how unrelated the mod is.
Maybe if your Dealer is like that, it's time to find another Dealer ... plenty of them around, all competing with each other in the SHARK POOL of Honda Dealerships.
Luckily I haven't needed to test the waters with my Honda Dealership yet, but I remember years ago, I had a Hyundai service rep try to dismiss warranty on a blown turbo that had a known issue and TSB fix because I had a strut bar installed. The service rep who obviously knew nothing about cars saw a mod and instantly spewed something along the lines of "the change of stiffness and spring ratios can cause the ECU to react differently which can stress the engine which can cause turbo issues" ???? I was dying inside lol. I ended up speaking to the manager and telling them to cut the BS and look at the damn TSB.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Well... the tech is in the back working another job. Here's my paperwork that has virtually no info. Sitting in the car now and can't hear any noise thus far after a few.minutes as idle. I've got to get the car back, an oil change, clean, and ready for an early start to the Tail of the Dragon tomorrow. I'll post up if the noise comes back.
@charleswrivers

Hope you are having a fun time at the "Tail of the Dragon" event this week.

Hopefully the weather is warming up a bit for the weekend .. hope the A/C continues to run well and silently ..

Also hope you get some Pictures or even Video to share with those of us who could not make the event ...

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@charleswrivers

Hope you are having a fun time at the "Tail of the Dragon" event this week.

Hopefully the weather is warming up a bit for the weekend .. hope the A/C continues to run well and silently ..

Also hope you get some Pictures or even Video to share with those of us who could not make the event ...
A few 'dam pictures'. One is a panoramic 180 degree from the top. One at night from the base.
We drove the Dragon yesterday but will try to get a picture or two.

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? received_444492812758499
Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? IMG_20190405_141032859

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? IMG_20190405_141131504_HDR

Honda Civic 10th gen AC Whistle Noise -  2000-2700 rpm - The Answer ? IMG_20190405_140946677

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks like great fun ... even at 30 mph !!! :drive:

Keep safe !

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Well I’m subscribing. Add me to your list of Canadians with this issue.

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to get this noise looked at.

Will update with what my dealer says!

I am also getting them to fix the locking fuel door, that doesn’t lock anymore. Likely just didn’t hook it up after they replaced the capless filler thing after I broke it in freezing temperatures this winter, and a brake service.

Edit: Typos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I’m subscribing. Add me to your list of Canadians with this issue.

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to get this noise looked at.

Will update with what my dealer says!

I am also getting them to fix the locking fuel door, that doesn’t lock anymore. Likely just didn’t hook it up after they replaced the capless filler thing after I broke it in freezing temperaturesthia winter, and a brake service.
Jeb

See if you can get them to find and give you a copy of the Service Bulletin.
The dealers down here in their USA "Claim" they cannot find it on their system.

Also, BEFORE they do any diagnostics or work on the A/C, I assume they will first test the Pressures to determine if the system has lost any refrigerant.

Please can you INSIST that they give you those pressures (and the temperature - Important), and then if they recharge the system, the final pressures that they leave the system with when returning the car.

While most customer's will not ask for this, it is NOT an unreasonable request, and if they have issue giving you those numbers -- well-- there is no reason why they should not -- unless they either don';t do the work, or have something to hide !!

The initial pressure will help determine if the noise COULD have been caused by low pressures, and the final reading will clearly show if they know what they are doing, and have charged the system back up correctly.

My experience with Dealer's Techs here in the USA will lead me to believe that most do not have even a reasonable grasp of A/C systems.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Bonjourno!

So I appreciate where you're coming from, but I trust my dealer and I am going to give them the chance to figure it out for themselves. They have one of the best service departments I've ever been to, and I want to see what they come up with first before I pull the TSB card, show me pressures of the AC system etc.

Will update tomorrow when I get home. Supposed to be a bit of snow here tomorrow but I'm still goin' in.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bonjourno!

So I appreciate where you're coming from, but I trust my dealer and I am going to give them the chance to figure it out for themselves. They have one of the best service departments I've ever been to, and I want to see what they come up with first before I pull the TSB card, show me pressures of the AC system etc.

Will update tomorrow when I get home. Supposed to be a bit of snow here tomorrow but I'm still goin' in.
Wish you every success, however you plan to get there.
The goal is to get it fixed .. so good luck ... let us know how it goes ...
Sponsored