jessea25

First Name
jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring
Country flag
my AC has quit on me over the last few months. first the drivers side went, and then the whole thing just stopped blowing cold air. i really hope it's the condenser and not some other random part. of course, i'm just a few 1000 miles out of warranty. i am going into the dealer next week, armed with the SB and having them look at it. anything else i should do, to ensure they don't try to skirt the issue?

thx
ok, so i went in the dealership and presented them with the problem. i barely had to mention the service bulletin. the service guy was well aware. they took the car and called me a few hours later. they wanted me to pay $483 to evac and refill the freon, because there wasn't enough to perform the test. i got into it with them, because it clearly states in the service bulletin, "to add refrigerant as needed, to perform the test". guy understood, but still tried to chisel me out of $483. he said he called honda and got them to cover all but $98 of the $483. stating that the $98 would be waived, if it came back as the condenser. i relented and had them go ahead. it was the condenser. so everything is covered. bad news, condensers are on back order. they might get to me by mid october. all in all, i'm happy with the outcome. and so far, 2 weeks, the air is still blowing cold.
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
ok, so i went in the dealership and presented them with the problem. i barely had to mention the service bulletin. the service guy was well aware. they took the car and called me a few hours later. they wanted me to pay $483 to evac and refill the freon, because there wasn't enough to perform the test. i got into it with them, because it clearly states in the service bulletin, "to add refrigerant as needed, to perform the test". guy understood, but still tried to chisel me out of $483. he said he called honda and got them to cover all but $98 of the $483. stating that the $98 would be waived, if it came back as the condenser. i relented and had them go ahead. it was the condenser. so everything is covered. bad news, condensers are on back order. they might get to me by mid october. all in all, i'm happy with the outcome. and so far, 2 weeks, the air is still blowing cold.
My condenser was in stock this week. They probably use defective ones cause I have a hatchback.

UnhappyCivic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Hey Guys, I'm in the same boat as most of you. Wife leased a 2016 civic which ac gave out less than a year in, we went to the dealer and they claimed a stone punctured the AC condenser after paying the 150 diagnosis. I'm wondering if it at all makes sense to try and get them to take another look? Reading the extended warranty it says if the puncture didn't hit the tubbibg then proceed with the repair.

I took a quick video of what I believe is my condenser. Though after watching the video I think the condenser might be behind this? I was just hoping to get some advise on if I should go back to the dealership and fork over another 150 and hope it gets covered under warranty.
Honda Civic 10th gen AC PROBLEM finally on warranty Screenshot_2020-07-09-17-31-38-667_com.miui.videoplayer
Honda Civic 10th gen AC PROBLEM finally on warranty Screenshot_2020-07-09-17-31-33-118_com.miui.videoplayer
Honda Civic 10th gen AC PROBLEM finally on warranty Screenshot_2020-07-09-17-31-24-783_com.miui.videoplayer
Honda Civic 10th gen AC PROBLEM finally on warranty Screenshot_2020-07-09-17-31-09-682_com.miui.videoplayer
Honda Civic 10th gen AC PROBLEM finally on warranty Screenshot_2020-07-09-17-31-06-214_com.miui.videoplayer
Honda Civic 10th gen AC PROBLEM finally on warranty Screenshot_2020-07-09-17-30-37-663_com.miui.videoplayer
Honda Civic 10th gen AC PROBLEM finally on warranty Screenshot_2020-07-09-17-30-22-193_com.miui.videoplayer

Honda Civic 10th gen AC PROBLEM finally on warranty Screenshot_2020-07-09-17-31-24-783_com.miui.videoplayer

ChrisC8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Hatchback LX
Country flag
My 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX is currently blowing hot air out of the drivers side and not that cool air out of the passenger. My Compressor is engaging. Took it to the dealer and without using the dye, they said the condenser shows that it's leaking. I looked at as much as I can see without a borescope and cannot find the leak. 37K miles so 1000 out of Warranty.
Have a claim with Honda America and they said my VIN was not covered by the Extended Warranty for all the condensers that are failing and being replaced. They said 3 weeks before there is a decision on how much Honda will pay. Dealer estimate was $995 for condenser replacement.
I might have them do a full leak test for $300, at least the AC will work for a while, and I would know that my compressor is still good.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
My 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX is currently blowing hot air out of the drivers side and not that cool air out of the passenger. My Compressor is engaging. Took it to the dealer and without using the dye, they said the condenser shows that it's leaking. I looked at as much as I can see without a borescope and cannot find the leak. 37K miles so 1000 out of Warranty.
Have a claim with Honda America and they said my VIN was not covered by the Extended Warranty for all the condensers that are failing and being replaced. They said 3 weeks before there is a decision on how much Honda will pay. Dealer estimate was $995 for condenser replacement.
I might have them do a full leak test for $300, at least the AC will work for a while, and I would know that my compressor is still good.
I can also suggest to you if you can refill your freon as well like what other members did after they were quoted the same thing.

ChrisC8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Hatchback LX
Country flag
I can also suggest to you if you can refill your freon as well like what other members did after they were quoted the same thing.
Good point. I might do this depending on what happens with my next call with Honda.

teatub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2002
Country flag
I would like to provide an update for whoever in similar situation:

I have a 2018 Honda Civic SE, in Ontario Canada.

Issue with AC in December 2020. Didn't notice it till March 2021. Still within 3 years warranty, but mileage at 67000 km, out of 60,000 km coverage.

Randomly came across the Honda Warranty extension letter searching the AC issue online.

I was never sent a letter. Went to dealership, who said they will do a diagnosis and if Condenser it should be covered. They did the diagnosis and it was the condenser. But they said my VIN number doesn't show it is covered by the special warranty! They wanted to charge me $1005+tax to fix it!

I contacted Honda Canada and explained it is the same issue as other Honda civics. After, Honda Canada got in touch with the dealership and got the diagnosis showing it's in fact the condenser. The dealer made a form to claim out of warranty. Honda Canada approved it and they fully covered the costs of repair.

No out of pocket expenses.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
....... Randomly came across the Honda Warranty extension letter
I was never sent a letter. Went to dealership, who said they will do a diagnosis and if Condenser it should be covered. They did the diagnosis and it was the condenser. But they said my VIN number doesn't show it is covered by the special warranty! They wanted to charge me $1005+tax to fix it!
I contacted Honda Canada... No out of pocket expenses.
For my 2018-SI, they changed my condenser on Sept-18 under warranty (not a recall at the time).

Good for you to call Honda Canada. My dealership is better because they did call Honda Canada on my behalf for certain warranty items. I think your service adviser is lazy.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
For my 2018-SI, they changed my condenser on Sept-18 under warranty (not a recall at the time).
Drove yesterday with outside temp 29C, no cold air from the AC again. Damned. These Honda AC are not reliable at all.

I myself am not familiar on how automobile AC works. Other than the condenser, what other components can go wrong? What is and what is not covered by extended warranty?

Shirls

First Name
Shirlee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Expect to see the compressor and evaporator soon lol
How about a powerful AC Honda???

2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 40,000 miles and a year left in my lease… I used to sell Honda’s until Covid…. I sold myself my first brand new car! I complained not long after I got the car to my dealer whom I worked for that Ac didn’t seem cold. They informed me of the new Freon isn’t like the old days. Well ok hmmm…. Last month driving from Illinois to Florida I noticed my AC was blowing hot air… checked everything no cold air…. little later into driving 1200 mile trip I hear rattling in my dash… next thing I know, white stuff comes blowing out my vents… I pulled over off the interstate to figure out what was going on… IT WAS ICE CHIPS, like slushee ice coming out of my vents…. Stopped for the night, happened next day AGAIN… ugh now living in Florida… take it to the dealership…. they called and asked if I bought an extended warranty… umm no… I’m leasing…. why would I do that? Proceeds to tell me that it’s the compressor not the condenser therefore not covered under the extended 10 year warranty they just put out there. I said that’s not acceptable, now they called and said the regional manager said it would be 50/50 because i’m 4,000 miles over my warranty in a lease…. WOW… I sold these cars to people and own one… This is completely unacceptable Honda! I’ve sold you many many cars…

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
If ice is coming out of the vents that sounds like the evaporator is freezing up because it's too cold. Moisture is freezing up & blocking the flow of air through the evaporator. It could be that the AC is very cold & it's very humid. And/or the drain tube that drains water from the evaporator to the outside of the car is blocked.

If you shut off the AC for several minutes in order for the evaporator to thaw, do you then get cold air from the vents?
When stopped with the engine & AC running do get water dripping from under the car, from under about where the front passenger's feet would be?

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Got a letter about the extended warranty and.... AC goes out a week later lol..
Sponsored