dtr20

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Just in case anybody wasn't aware of this, if you paid to have your AC condenser replaced before the TSB came out, you can get reimbursed for it through Honda. Call 1-800-999-1009 to open a case with Honda. You will be assigned a case number and you will need to prove your payment for the service.
Sponsored

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Just in case anybody wasn't aware of this, if you paid to have your AC condenser replaced before the TSB came out, you can get reimbursed for it through Honda. Call 1-800-999-1009 to open a case with Honda. You will be assigned a case number and you will need to prove your payment for the service.

Will they reimburse all the AC repair cost or just the AC condenser replacement?
Here is my situation, I had AC failure since April and I have been to same dealer three times. The first two times dealer claimed it was some leaking for hoses, and they replaced them and charged me about $600 including inspection; Both times the AC failed after two weeks. The third time they finally found out it was the condenser and replaced it. This time, they reached out to Honda and Honda gave them goodwill so I didn't pay anything. That was around the same time the TSB was issued.

The problem was clearly because of the Condenser leaking from beginning. Can I called Honda to reimburse my $600 paid to the dealer?

dtr20

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Will they reimburse all the AC repair cost or just the AC condenser replacement?
Here is my situation, I had AC failure since April and I have been to same dealer three times. The first two times dealer claimed it was some leaking for hoses, and they replaced them and charged me about $600 including inspection; Both times the AC failed after two weeks. The third time they finally found out it was the condenser and replaced it. This time, they reached out to Honda and Honda gave them goodwill so I didn't pay anything. That was around the same time the TSB was issued.

The problem was clearly because of the Condenser leaking from beginning. Can I called Honda to reimburse my $600 paid to the dealer?
I would certainly open a case with Honda. That may turn you down, but if you are polite and annoying enough, they might just pay to get rid of you.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

For whats it worth, this is what I would do in your situation.

Now that the CONDENSER has been replaced and is being covered by Honda, Honda is really off the hook, and have done the correcting thing -- especially now the SB is released about the condenser.

You now really have to deal with the Dealer , who charged you twice, and twice misdiagnosed the issue, replacing Hoses that most likely were OK.
You need to meet with the Dealership's GENERAL MANAGER (Top guy), (DO NOT settle for anyone else, only the GM can make this good... Not the Service manager) and sit down with them, and point out that they misdiagnosed the issue incorrectly twice, and charged you for what were most likely unnecessary replacement, and because of that, you are requesting that they refund all those payments for that unnecessary and misdiagnosed work.
Be polite but firm, insisting on a full refund, and make it clear that you will not accept any other remedies, and will take it as far as you need to get full restitution.
If they still say no, start talking about the BBB, Honda Corporate, and the media (newspapers and TV) , and switching Dealers for future service work -- and be prepared to follow through with that course of action.

For $600, the GM is most likely to just pay you the $600 to make what could turn into an ugly situation, with masses of bad publicity for the Dealership, just GO AWAY. (after all, it was the Dealer who Messed up !!)

Waste of Time talking to anyone else at the Dealership, except the GM.. Only the GM has the authority to make this right voluntarily.

Lastly, take someone with you when you go meet with the GM. Both for support, and to be a witness of what is said.
Two of you against the GM puts you at a psychological advantage right from the start of the meeting.

Good luck . have fun.. at this point in time, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Last edited:

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
For whats it worth, this is what I would do in your situation.

Now that the CONDENSER has been replaced and is being covered by Honda, Honda is really off the hook, and have done the correcting thing -- especially now the SB is released about the condenser.

You now really have to deal with the Dealer , who charged you twice, and twice misdiagnosed the issue, replacing Hoses that most likely were OK.
You need to meet with the Dealership's GENERAL MANAGER (Top guy), (DO NOT settle for anyone else, only the GM can make this good... Not the Service manager) and sit down with them, and point out that they misdiagnosed the issue incorrectly twice, and charged you for what were most likely unnecessary replacement, and because of that, you are requesting that they refund all those payments for that unnecessary and misdiagnosed work.
Be polite but firm, insisting on a full refund, and make it clear that you will not accept any other remedies, and will take it as far as you need to get full restitution.
If they still say no, start talking about the BBB, Honda Corporate, and the media (newspapers and TV) , and switching Dealers for future service work -- and be prepared to follow through with that course of action.

For $600, the GM is most likely to just pay you the $600 to make what could turn into an ugly situation, with masses of bad publicity for the Dealership, just GO AWAY. (after all, it was the Dealer who Messed up !!)

Waste of Time talking to anyone else at the Dealership, except the GM.. Only the GM has the authority to make this right voluntarily.

Lastly, take someone with you when you go meet with the GM. Both for support, and to be a witness of what is said.
Two of you against the GM puts you at a psychological advantage right from the start of the meeting.

Good luck . have fun.. at this point in time, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Thanks, very good suggestions.
I might try that. So just a couple of thoughts:
1. how to meet the GM? should I just walk in and ask the receptionist to speak to the GM?
2. I guess I should print the TSB and make the argument that based on the TSB, if they diagnosed correctly it was the condenser problem the first time, I should have paid nothing.
3. Is the TSB supposed to cover inspection cost? I mean, if they diagnosed correctly first time, dealer supposed to waive inspection cost as well or just repair cost?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Thanks, very good suggestions.
I might try that. So just a couple of thoughts:
1. how to meet the GM? should I just walk in and ask the receptionist to speak to the GM?
2. I guess I should print the TSB and make the argument that based on the TSB, if they diagnosed correctly it was the condenser problem the first time, I should have paid nothing.
3. Is the TSB supposed to cover inspection cost? I mean, if they diagnosed correctly first time, dealer supposed to waive inspection cost as well or just repair cost?
1. Walk into the Dealership, and ask to speak to the GM - as if you own the place !!. Do not start telling anyone else what it is about, just insist, on talking direct to the GM.
What you have to discuss is for his ears only !!!

2. Print out the TSB.. does not hurt to have it with you, and will show the GM you are informed and serious. (also shows calling the Condenser repair a "GOOD WILL" warranty was BS.. its not "GOOD WILL" -- it's an expected item that is covered)

3. The TSB is to repair under warranty, A/C issues, namely the Condenser (that would seem to have been a bad batch or a design issue). The Dealer's Tech messed up twice, incorrectly diagnosing Hoses, instead of the leaking condenser, so it's an error on by the dealer, and they replaced perfectly good parts and charged you for parts & labor. (How he managed to be so wrong twice is another interesting question !!)

Personally, I believe they should refund everything, and offer you at least an apology for their technical mistakes (incompetence) , and wasting your time TWICE. (and maybe throw in a few Free Oil Changes !!)

Actually, they might well throw in the Oil changes (If they have any sense), if only to get you back into the Dealership, and open the possibility of other major service work which they can recoup their losses on !!!

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Realistically, little chance that a dealership would admit they are incompetence...

jessea25

First Name
jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring
Country flag
my AC has quit on me over the last few months. first the drivers side went, and then the whole thing just stopped blowing cold air. i really hope it's the condenser and not some other random part. of course, i'm just a few 1000 miles out of warranty. i am going into the dealer next week, armed with the SB and having them look at it. anything else i should do, to ensure they don't try to skirt the issue?

thx

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
my AC has quit on me over the last few months. first the drivers side went, and then the whole thing just stopped blowing cold air. i really hope it's the condenser and not some other random part. of course, i'm just a few 1000 miles out of warranty. i am going into the dealer next week, armed with the SB and having them look at it. anything else i should do, to ensure they don't try to skirt the issue?

thx

That sounds like condenser leaking, I had that same symptom too. amazed how can you survive for few months in summer without AC.
The thing is, if the dealer pulled some nonsense like they did to me, telling you not condenser, you can obviously take to a different dealer, but you still have to pay for the inspection, because you are out of warranty. That could be like $150 in my case.

dtr20

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Has anyone gotten a reimbursement yet? I have been approved for mine, but I am waiting for them to process it. I guess it could take 2-3 weeks. I'm glad they are so efficient with this.:rolleyes1:

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
That sounds like condenser leaking, I had that same symptom too. amazed how can you survive for few months in summer without AC.
The thing is, if the dealer pulled some nonsense like they did to me, telling you not condenser, you can obviously take to a different dealer, but you still have to pay for the inspection, because you are out of warranty. That could be like $150 in my case.
Why would a leaking condenser cause the driver's side to go first? Is that first in the loop?

Mine is behaving strangely, performing poorly after 10-15 minutes of driving. I'm taking it in an hope it's the condenser.

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Has anyone gotten a reimbursement yet? I have been approved for mine, but I am waiting for them to process it. I guess it could take 2-3 weeks. I'm glad they are so efficient with this.:rolleyes1:

How do they inform you it is approved?
I submitted my case two weeks ago. I got a call saying they received, but no hearing since.

dtr20

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I got a call from the woman handling my claim and she told me. It took a couple of weeks for this to happen. My claim is only $100 so it was probably accepted easily. Those of you that are on the hook for close to $1k, might take longer. You could always call the number back to get an update on your claim.

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
2019 might as well be added tbh. One side blows nice the other side blows ehhh not so good.
Sponsored