About to upgrade the audio... but which route should I take?

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
My 2019 EX coupe is also a lease so it's going to be speakers for the doors and that's it. Bought some Polk DB 6502 but haven't had a chance to put them in yet. My hope is they will clean up the sound and add a little volume.
Mine is also a lease, but I do think that an amp is the way to go. You can check on the tiny class-D amps such as the Alpine KTP-445U or the Pioneer GM-D1004 which provide CEA certified 45Watt RMS per channel which should be more than adequate to get 75-80% out of your aftermarket medium price range speakers. These are so small that you can even place them behind the HU and power them from the existing radio power, so it is very easy to remove and convert back to stock once your lease is over.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I also have an 2018 lx sedan. My A/C controls are separate from my stereo. So I was able to replace my head unit without affecting the A/C. Can you show a picture of your dash. This is mine with the Kenwood Excelon head unit.

A49DBEEC-37A6-49EC-8B27-1ECEE5CF8A0B.jpeg
So the only thing you had to give up was the factory backup camera options? Well... that and the shitty audio?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
So the only thing you had to give up was the factory backup camera options? Well... that and the shitty audio?
Actually I still have my backup camera. I just can’t switch the view. It stays in wide view, which is the one I usually used anyway so I’m not to upset about that

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
I replaced all my speakers and installed two subs and a 1000 watt amp to push it all. Trust me on one thing, if you install any aftermarket speakers they are going to require an amp to sound right. Aftermarket speakers require more power than stock speakers. You could actually hurt the aftermarket speakers by not giving enough power to them. You’ll be lucky to get 10 watts of continuous power to those speakers with the stock head unit. Most aftermarket speakers require a minimum of 35 or up. Look up the power requirements for the speakers you are installing so you can give them adequate power.
This is correct for non amplified cars like the lx yes, but on higher trims like Si and Touring who have amps built in, they would sound significantly better than that of a stock speaker. BUT yes aftermarket amps are the way to go :thumbsup:

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
This is correct for non amplified cars like the lx yes, but on higher trims like Si and Touring who have amps built in, they would sound significantly better than that of a stock speaker. BUT yes aftermarket amps are the way to go :thumbsup:
So how much does each channel of power does the premium stereo have? RMS and Peak. I haven't seen it posted here.

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
So how much does each channel of power does the premium stereo have? RMS and Peak. I haven't seen it posted here.
well given that the touring sedans have 10 speakers and 450 Watts, thats 45 per speaker if split evenly but of course the subwoofer will have alot more power to it than the doors and also doors will have more than the tweeters and center channel just because of what they can handle. i seen somewhere around here someone measured the speakers and gave a pretty accurate representation of how much power is going to each, if i can find it ill post it for you bro.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
well given that the touring sedans have 10 speakers and 450 Watts, thats 45 per speaker if split evenly but of course the subwoofer will have alot more power to it than the doors and also doors will have more than the tweeters and center channel just because of what they can handle. i seen somewhere around here someone measured the speakers and gave a pretty accurate representation of how much power is going to each, if i can find it ill post it for you bro.
Yes I have the 450 watt so called premium. Could be 5 watts of clean power and 40 watts of distortion. If that is the case a quality amp would help a lot.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes I have the 450 watt so called premium. Could be 5 watts of clean power and 40 watts of distortion. If that is the case a quality amp would help a lot.
This goes back to what I mentioned before. The factory stereos, even the “premium” sound systems, don’t usually put out much power. And the 450 watts advertised is going to be peak power rating. This is not the continuous power rating. So you’ll be lucky to get over 10 watts of continuous power to your speakers because the sub gets most of it.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I also have an 2018 lx sedan. My A/C controls are separate from my stereo. So I was able to replace my head unit without affecting the A/C. Can you show a picture of your dash. This is mine with the Kenwood Excelon head unit.
And you have a "push to pass" button. I'm probably going to have to find an older LX manual now.

Honda Civic 10th gen About to upgrade the audio... but which route should I take? push to pass

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And you have a "push to pass" button. I'm probably going to have to find an older LX manual now.

push to pass.jpg
Pretty sure I've seen a thread with a working climate control swap. You just lose dual zone

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
OP: Same boat here.
Least expensive route is what you mentioned (FIX86 and new speakers)
Next step up in terms of cost would be a new HU and speakers. Aftermarket HU would no longer really need the FIX86 at that point....but overall it's still more $$ than the first option.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

push to pass.jpg
Yes mine is exactly like that. It’s the civics that don’t have the infotainment system that has this style A/C panel.

OP
OP

willcivic

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10'th gen
Country flag
OP: Same boat here.
Least expensive route is what you mentioned (FIX86 and new speakers)
Next step up in terms of cost would be a new HU and speakers. Aftermarket HU would no longer really need the FIX86 at that point....but overall it's still more $$ than the first option.

Thought about it a bit more today and I think I've found the thing about the mystery of the Air conditioning controls: If you have Heated seats on your car, you will get MY Air climate controls (the one with the big CLIMATE button right under the radio). If you do not have Heated seats, you will have the other air climate controls which shows the temperature and has dedicated AC button.

So Unless I go with an Android HU, I will not be able to turn on the AC, (which to be honest I dont really care most of the times cause nothing beats rolled down windows during summer time). AC might be useful from times to times thought.

I'm guessing, considering my situation with the lease / warranty and no AC, it might just be a better compromise to just live with the dung radio and put a fix 86 in it.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thought about it a bit more today and I think I've found the thing about the mystery of the Air conditioning controls: If you have Heated seats on your car, you will get MY Air climate controls (the one with the big CLIMATE button right under the radio). If you do not have Heated seats, you will have the other air climate controls which shows the temperature and has dedicated AC button.

So Unless I go with an Android HU, I will not be able to turn on the AC, (which to be honest I dont really care most of the times cause nothing beats rolled down windows during summer time). AC might be useful from times to times thought.

I'm guessing, considering my situation with the lease / warranty and no AC, it might just be a better compromise to just live with the dung radio and put a fix 86 in it.
Climate swap thread

As soon as I realized the stock climate control unit lacked a physical fan speed knob (or buttons), I was skeptical that I would adjust to relying on using the touch screen (and hitting the "Climate" button each time) to change the fan speed. It's been 8+ months now and I still dislike not having a physical control for the fan speed.

As a result I ordered a climate control unit from a different model 2017 Civic in hopes that it would be plug and play. Other than swapping out the bezels and airbag status light, this "upgrade" is 100% plug and play. I went onto eBay, searched for "2017 Civic climate control unit," I browsed the listings until I found a unit that had both a fan speed knob along with my normal functions (heated seats, windshield defrosters, heated side mirrors, etc... The only "downside" to this swap, is that you will lose the dual climate control feature.

Top: Stock 2017 Civic Si climate control unit. Also, note the darker color trim.
Bottom: New climate control unit from a 2017 Civic.

IMG_8074.jpg

Back of units:

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8076.jpg

First remove the airbag status light housing (2 screws). Then firmly tug off the 2 knobs, then remove the 4 outermost screws, which is whats holding the bezel to the unit itself. Swap the climate control unit with your bezel, airbag status light housing, and install back into your Civic.

IMG_8077.jpg

Note that the right knob is now a fan speed knob:

IMG_8080.jpg

No AC button, but thermostat, and fan speed controller
Sponsored