About to buy my first ever Civic (2016) LX with sensing, what should i expect?

masterDoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
First time Honda owner coming from a background of 2 Toyota's. Was mind blown with all the tech the Civic 2016 and the test drive, especially handling curves, what should I expect, pros and cons of 2016 LX with sensing?

Thanks!
Sponsored

dash-dot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Congratulations on your new purchase!

It's no exaggeration to say that this engineering marvel blew my mind, too; I just couldn't believe the deal I was getting considering its price (I own an EX with Sensing myself).

The only con for me thus far is that my 2.0L engine is part of the recall (you're probably in the clear since you only just bought it), but I'm actually rather reluctant to take it in, since hardly any of the recalled cars seem to have had any actual issues requiring work. It'd be a crying shame to take this engine apart for nothing, since it drives so great right now (I've had it since November). Another issue that's more of an annoyance than a con proper is the terrible touch based HMI for the Infotainment and HVAC functions--hopefully this gets redesigned for future iterations of Gen X, but I guess I'm able to live with it.

I'm happy to report that it's all Pros for me save for the one caveat above. I love Honda Sensing! One thing to keep in mind about the LKAS is that the Assist bit is key--it actually doesn't have terribly intelligent situational awareness (no big surprise there) and you can often tell the car might depart the lane while negotiating a sharp bend or a stretch of road with variable curvature. Once you apply appropriate corrective inputs, however, the wheel requires very little by way of force/torque, and so it greatly minimises steering effort overall. :)

OP
OP

masterDoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Congratulations on your new purchase!

It's no exaggeration to say that this engineering marvel blew my mind, too; I just couldn't believe the deal I was getting considering its price (I own an EX with Sensing myself).

The only con for me thus far is that my 2.0L engine is part of the recall (you're probably in the clear since you only just bought it), but I'm actually rather reluctant to take it in, since hardly any of the recalled cars seem to have had any actual issues requiring work. It'd be a crying shame to take this engine apart for nothing, since it drives so great right now (I've had it since November). Another issue that's more of an annoyance than a con proper is the terrible touch based HMI for the Infotainment and HVAC functions--hopefully this gets redesigned for future iterations of Gen X, but I guess I'm able to live with it.

I'm happy to report that it's all Pros for me save for the one caveat above. I love Honda Sensing! One thing to keep in mind about the LKAS is that the Assist bit is key--it actually doesn't have terribly intelligent situational awareness (no big surprise there) and you can often tell the car might depart the lane while negotiating a sharp bend or a stretch of road with variable curvature. Once you apply appropriate corrective inputs, however, the wheel requires very little by way of force/torque, and so it greatly minimises steering effort overall. :)
Thanks dash-dot for your input. Actually I haven't bought it yet and very reluctant to buy it. I've been offered the LX-CVT with Honda Sensing for 24,800 CAD. Best I could find shopping around Ontario. The problems I read in the issues and recalls section terrified me. Went to find a good car with reasonable similarities couldn't find something on par. Shall I be worried or just buy it? The dealer kinda hate me right now :s

CRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic
Country flag
Thanks dash-dot for your input. Actually I haven't bought it yet and very reluctant to buy it. I've been offered the LX-CVT with Honda Sensing for 24,800 CAD. Best I could find shopping around Ontario. The problems I read in the issues and recalls section terrified me. Went to find a good car with reasonable similarities couldn't find something on par. Shall I be worried or just buy it? The dealer kinda hate me right now :s
Have you considered leasing? With the lease rates being fairly low I think leasing makes more sense. Less money upfront and if the car does turn out to have issues (being a new model filled with tech etc) you can simply return it at the end of the lease. If you can afford to get the EX-T or Touring imo, much more features, more torque etc. You should be able to negotiate an EX-T down to ~$29000 all in. Another thing to keep in mind is that in September Honda will drop its lease and finance rates to .99% to get rid of the remaining 16s.

OP
OP

masterDoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Have you considered leasing? With the lease rates being fairly low I think leasing makes more sense. Less money upfront and if the car does turn out to have issues (being a new model filled with tech etc) you can simply return it at the end of the lease. If you can afford to get the EX-T or Touring imo, much more features, more torque etc. You should be able to negotiate an EX-T down to ~$29000 all in. Another thing to keep in mind is that in September Honda will drop its lease and finance rates to .99% to get rid of the remaining 16s.
Thanks CRX for your input. I don't like leasing. I would rather have an asset with value. Also, leasing and financing is a huge hurdle for me as I'm currently a grad student, my input/debt ratio isn't good. The quote I got is for a cash deal. According to unhuggle.com, I'll be paying 300$ CAD more than the invoice price. I don't know how reliable unhuggle.com is but seems like a good price.

dash-dot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
I can certainly understand your reluctance; it's quite a big investment for anybody, let alone a student, and you want to make sure it's a sensible one that doesn't cause any headaches right from the word go. Indeed, I was blissfully unaware of any looming recalls on the horizon when I made my purchase in November--had I known what I know now, I'd be just as reluctant to pull the trigger in a similar situation as yours. I wouldn't presume to urge you to take the plunge, or to wait for that matter--only you understand your personal situation and needs best.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty confident that most of these issues will be ironed out by the time the 2017MY hits the market, but I'm guessing you may not want to wait that long. Whatever you do, don't worry about what the dealers say, and don't let anyone strong-arm you into making a commitment with which you aren't 100% comfortable.

OP
OP

masterDoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
I can certainly understand your reluctance; it's quite a big investment for anybody, let alone a student, and you want to make sure it's a sensible one that doesn't cause any headaches right from the word go. Indeed, I was blissfully unaware of any looming recalls on the horizon when I made my purchase in November--had I known what I know now, I'd be just as reluctant to pull the trigger in a similar situation as yours. I wouldn't presume to urge you to take the plunge, or to wait for that matter--only you understand your personal situation and needs best.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty confident that most of these issues will be ironed out by the time the 2017MY hits the market, but I'm guessing you may not want to wait that long. Whatever you do, don't worry about what the dealers say, and don't let anyone strong-arm you into making a commitment with which you aren't 100% comfortable.
Thanks again dash-dot for your valuable input. I have been car-less for 4 years now and my family is bigger than before. I reached to the point where public transportation doesn't cut it anymore. Have to get a car and I suck in buying used. I just want the peace of mind experience, that's why I'm looking for new car. But it seems that all cars have their demons. As long as it's under warranty I shouldn't be worried. Right? You're right, I must be 100% comfortable with the decision I'll take. I'm going first thing in the morning to meet with the salesman. Wish me luck.

coolcaferacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RSX, 2015 Honda Fit, 2016 Honda Civic touring, 2016 Acura MDX
Thanks again dash-dot for your valuable input. I have been car-less for 4 years now and my family is bigger than before. I reached to the point where public transportation doesn't cut it anymore. Have to get a car and I suck in buying used. I just want the peace of mind experience, that's why I'm looking for new car. But it seems that all cars have their demons. As long as it's under warranty I shouldn't be worried. Right? You're right, I must be 100% comfortable with the decision I'll take. I'm going first thing in the morning to meet with the salesman. Wish me luck.
I'm curious and have to ask.......how did you make out?

OP
OP

masterDoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
I'm curious and have to ask.......how did you make out?
Hi coolcaferacer,

Unfortunately I'm going with another car. The civic is great car, but I believe it's not for me. I Was literally on the verge of signing the papers, but I had a terrible feeling about it. The salesman seemed sleazy enough and creeped me out of buying the car. I managed to reach to a good deal for it, the LX for 23,500$ OTD, including Ontario taxes, but still.

Thanks for asking:)

coolcaferacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RSX, 2015 Honda Fit, 2016 Honda Civic touring, 2016 Acura MDX
Hi coolcaferacer,

Unfortunately I'm going with another car. The civic is great car, but I believe it's not for me. I Was literally on the verge of signing the papers, but I had a terrible feeling about it. The salesman seemed sleazy enough and creeped me out of buying the car. I managed to reach to a good deal for it, the LX for 23,500$ OTD, including Ontario taxes, but still.

Thanks for asking:)
You shouldn't have let the salesman turn you off, the new civic is a great buy. My wife and I have had over two dozen Hondas and Acuras and honestly we've never had a bad one. Most of our cars we've passed on to our kids and they've continued to run trouble free. Remember, unhappy car owners come to the Internet to complain, keep that in perspective, happy owners don't come and tell everyone they're happy. Hondas have always been one of the more reliable cars. Good luck with your purchase whatever it is.
Sponsored