• Start date
  • Watchers 16

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How reliable are the built in MPG calculations in the infotainment? Mine shows my MPG for the last trip at 28.8 overall with a range of 290 miles.
Sponsored

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Good article. The author mentioned a 12.2 gallon tank, I believe it's technically 12.4 according to the owners manual.

I daily drive my R in an urban area. I average about 220-240 miles per tank. I have no problems filling up on this mileage schedule. They could even make it a bit smaller before I'd probably care. That's just my take.
Dang in the Si I think it's 300+ per tank

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
but we are not comparing the fuel consumption on this car to another car. of course there are "worse" cars.

i should also clarify, the 22mpg that i am averaging according to fuelly isn't the issue. I just wish it had more range simple as that. An option like the porsche has with the extended range would have been great. Unless I commute in dead traffic hours, it's impossible for me to obtain the 300 range i need to last the week of commute.
Ey0c0xY.png

There are clearly a lot of people who feel the same way as the small gas tank has been brought up on this forum before.
The point was that 300-350 miles of highway range (or less in mixed driving) is typical for this class of car. There is likely no space in the chassis for a larger tank, since the base car doesn't need it to achieve 400+ miles of highway range.

My commute is much shorter than most on this forum, but I stop for gas much less often with the Type R than with my RS4. Around town before was 13-15mpg at best, and the CTR gets 22-25mpg. Tanks size was 16.6 vs. 12.4. In any case, filling up with gas takes like 5 mins, so not a huge deal (unlike, say, charging a Tesla).

If you want a commuter car, VW makes some great (cheap) TDIs with a long warranty that go 650+ miles on a tank.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
The point was that 300-350 miles of highway range (or less in mixed driving) is typical for this class of car. There is likely no space in the chassis for a larger tank, since the base car doesn't need it to achieve 400+ miles of highway range.

My commute is much shorter than most on this forum, but I stop for gas much less often with the Type R than with my RS4. Around town before was 13-15mpg at best, and the CTR gets 22-25mpg. Tanks size was 16.6 vs. 12.4. In any case, filling up with gas takes like 5 mins, so not a huge deal (unlike, say, charging a Tesla).

If you want a commuter car, VW makes some great (cheap) TDIs with a long warranty that go 650+ miles on a tank.
i don't disagree with you. Long freeway driving with no traffic, yeah that should be no problem. Unfortunately, that doesn't really happen that often around here. The time to fill up gas isn't that big of a deal like you said but i just get really lazy after driving 1hr 45 mins to drive 29 miles home that i'd rather just go straight home and get some rest lol.

I've already posted here in this thread that it's this small because it's based off of the civic and it has enough range.
It's not for weight, it's because the car is designed off of a base civic which in that trim has more than enough range with that fuel capacity.
i already have a commuter car actually. I don't daily drive it. I am just giving you my opinion on why i wish it was larger and why some people would want a bigger gas tank. If i was daily driving it, i definitely would prefer a bigger gas tank.

Dipz

First Name
Dipz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Type R
Country flag
Awesome article, can't wait to pick this up :D

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
How reliable are the built in MPG calculations in the infotainment? Mine shows my MPG for the last trip at 28.8 overall with a range of 290 miles.
It's not accurate. For the most part, I am getting about 1.5MPG less than what is being reported by the car.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not accurate. For the most part, I am getting about 1.5MPG less than what is being reported by the car.
Well that's dumb. Guess I need to look into Fuelly or some other similar app then.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Range is comparable to my last 2 GTI, less than MK7, better than MK6. I drive pretty conservatively in DD situation(Midwest doesn't exactly have great road to beat on), so I tend to be in the right lane on the highway and keep the speed close to speed limit(2-5 over). And I get probably between 27-30mpg(calculated). 280-320miles per tank is pretty average. I've gotten as much as 380miles out of a 11+ gal fill up. So its livable for me, but a taller 6th will help a lot with that....

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I love that parting shot at the end of the article - go buy a Buick if you want to be an old fuddy duddy about everything! The article nails why I love the R so much - such a wide range of personality and incredible utility.

I get pretty much 1 week of fuel with average driving habits and commute. I can stretch it to 9 days but usually every Sunday I'm filling up. That isn't bad to me at all. Not as good as my old Accord with a 16 gal tank and average fuel economy of 33 mpg, filling up every 2 weeks, but still not bad.

Also, the "how many miles do I have left" estimate on the Civic is way conservative. I think you have an extra 50-75 miles plus what the computer says. When I "fill up", it's usually only around 10.5 gallons.

And if I'm going on an interstate road trip, I pull closer to 30 mpg than 22 mpg like in the article. At 30 mpg, 360 miles in range is plenty.

CTR88

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
My CTR constantly reads about 1.5 mpg higher than actual. My Ford Expedition also constantly reads 1.5-2 mpg high. I think these manufacturers do this to make you feel good because there is no reason with modern computer technology and electronic fuel injection they can’t calculate an accurate mpg. In typical German precision, Porsche’s in-dash mpg is spot on.

The small fuel tank is a big issue for those that track their vehicles. My mpg on track is about 8.5 mpg and the Type R has fuel starvation issues if you get down to ÂĽ tank. That leaves 8-9 gallons or around 70 miles of racing which invariably means you need to fuel up once or twice a day which can be a hassle.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
How are you calculating MPG? Because unless my odometer is wrong, mine is basically spot-on.
I keep track of mileage at each fill up as well as the gallons of gas pumped at each fill up. So for the tank of gas, it can be computed as (C - P) / G where C = current mileage, P = previous mileage, and G = gallons of gas. This does assume the odometer is correct. If I want to compute the "lifetime", I do (C - P') / G' where P' = first measured mileage and G' = sum of all gallons of gas. Unfortunately for me, I started computing these around 17k miles, but currently have about 31k miles on the car. Most of these calculations are easy to do in Excel if you have your tables set up right with your data logged properly.

Edit: that said, my car says that I'm averaging 27.8-27.9 MPG right now (I believe this is since I got my new wheels) but I have only a computed average MPG > 28 for 3 fill ups accounting for 700 miles of driving (wheels have approximately 3k of mileage on them (calculated 26.8 MPG average for the past 3k miles).
Sponsored

Last edited: