Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
Agreed on all counts. I love the seats, love the performance, don't mind the infotainment system, hate the small gas tank.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The small gas tank baffles me... I can’t figure out why they would have that small of a tank. Weight savings?? How much more weight would a 2-3 gal larger tank really added?

speedvagen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sgp fk8 #r-26236
Country flag
The small gas tank baffles me... I can’t figure out why they would have that small of a tank. Weight savings?? How much more weight would a 2-3 gal larger tank really added?
to be fair, though, with a car that vibrates and is as loud as the CTR, I’m not sure I’d want or need a tank much bigger because once I’ve driven 150-200mi, I’m ready to stretch the legs...so I have no issue with the tank size

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
it's a hassle when a full tank of gas doesn't last me a week worth of commute though.
I hate having to fill up mid week.

Mike_R19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 Type R, '05 Corvette Z51, '10 128i
Country flag
I didn't even consider how small the tank was until I took it on its first road voyage from NH to NC. I think I ended up refueling 4 times at least. That was all highways. Completely out of my element as compared to my Fiesta ST. With that car I could plan where to fill along my route where as the CTR I figured I could do the same...I was wrong. DC was a nightmare around 2 in the morning when it seemed like all the gas stations were closed. So I can definitley back up the 12 Gal tank size. Once I did accept the fact I would have to fill up more, its not that bad. As Speedvagen says, it is ok to give yourself a break around 250 miles. I can't imagine commuting daily with it though. I'll be making an even longer voyage with the R next month (NH to AZ) so maybe I'll do like an impromptu long roadtrip review on here.:thumbsup:

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Good article. The author mentioned a 12.2 gallon tank, I believe it's technically 12.4 according to the owners manual.

I daily drive my R in an urban area. I average about 220-240 miles per tank. I have no problems filling up on this mileage schedule. They could even make it a bit smaller before I'd probably care. That's just my take.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it's a hassle when a full tank of gas doesn't last me a week worth of commute though.
I hate having to fill up mid week.
If I just use my Type R for commuting and nothing else, I will have to fill up exactly one week from that date. ~64 miles per day

I don’t know what kind of mileage my RAV4 gets, but I assume it’s around 25-26 mpg. I do know that it seems to last a bit longer, then again in the RAV4 I don’t have a range indicator - I have to just watch the needle. In the CTR I love the estimated range for at least a general guide on how many miles I could go so long as I don’t hammer it too hard.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
A bit weird to nitpick over the gas tank size. Definitely some hyperbole in the article regarding the distance between gas stations out west and the need to fill up "wherever you see gas". On long highway trips, the car has over 350 miles of range (very easy to get 29/30mpg x 12.4 gallons = 360 miles of range). At 80mph, that's 4.5 hours of uninterrupted driving, and most people will need a food/bathroom break after that amount of time anyway.

300-400 mile highway range is pretty typical for sports sedans/sporty cars.

B7 RS4 - 320 miles
E9x M3 - 320 miles
F80 M3 - 380 miles
Focus RS - 360 miles

There are definitely worse cars when it comes to MPG/tank size. The E60 M5 comes to mind. 18.5 gallon tank (warning light comes on at 16.5) and the car gets single digit MPG around town and 16-17 highway at best (EPA ratings are 11/17). If used for in-town commuting, the effective range is ~160-170 miles. That's actually something to complain about.

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
Hey guys,

I want to give you a different perspective about the small gas tank. I used to drive a 2018 Subaru STi, and it had the identical size of gas tank. However, that 14-year-old drive train is rated 17/23 city/hwy. This means, I had to fill up "a lot" more often. I was grateful with the switch to R.

It looks like a 12 gallon tank is typical for a compact car, regardless of performance. Cheers,

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

I want to give you a different perspective about the small gas tank. I used to drive a 2018 Subaru STi, and it had the identical size of gas tank. However, that 14-year-old drive train is rated 17/23 city/hwy. This means, I had to fill up "a lot" more often. I was grateful with the switch to R.

It looks like a 12 gallon tank is typical for a compact car, regardless of performance. Cheers,
I used to drive a 2004 STi and the reason I got rid of it was because of the fuel consumption. My commute was not long, but through slow moving traffic which sucked for fuel. I was spending around $100 a week in fuel. Just was too much.

I'm with you, I think the CTR is great on fuel compared to the STi. :)

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
but we are not comparing the fuel consumption on this car to another car. of course there are "worse" cars.

i should also clarify, the 22mpg that i am averaging according to fuelly isn't the issue. I just wish it had more range simple as that. An option like the porsche has with the extended range would have been great. Unless I commute in dead traffic hours, it's impossible for me to obtain the 300 range i need to last the week of commute.
Honda Civic 10th gen A Year with Civic Type R - Automobile Magazine NOV 2019 Ey0c0xY

There are clearly a lot of people who feel the same way as the small gas tank has been brought up on this forum before.
Sponsored