A simple way to improve any sound system

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
I'm a newbie here, so this may have already been discussed. As a classically trained musician, I'm always surprised riding in cars that more folks don't realize the big improvement in sound you get when you adjust the Front/Rear balance to be just in front of your ear rather than have the sound seeming to come from the dash/front. If you do experiment I'd like to know if you agree. Picked up my new Civic Touring last Friday, and good as the sound was, it improved when I moved the balance back.
Sponsored

Last edited:

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'm a newbie here, so this may have already been discussed. As a classically trained musician, I'm always surprised riding in cars that more folks don't realize the big improvement in sound you get when you adjust the Front/Rear balance to be just in front of your ear rather than have the sound seeming to come from the dash/front. If you do experiment I'd like to know if you agree. Picked up my new Civic Touring last Friday, and good as the sound was, it improved when I moved the balance back.
What are your settings at? I guess you can let us know by the amount of bars you have to the left/right on the settings.

I assume this would also have a good impact on non touring models considering the difference in sound system?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
+3 Treble, +3 Bass, +2 Mid, Turn surround off and leave all other settings to default. Let the system break in a bit too. It sounded better after a couple months

OP
OP
DjinTonic

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Newflyer 3 said: +3 Treble, +3 Bass, +2 Mid

Does that give the same result as just setting Mid to -1 and volume a tad higher? I need to turn my subwoofer down -- it's too much for speaking voices and probably too much for music as well. Of course your settings will also depend on the type of music you're playing and personal preferences.

But my suggestion had to do with sound source location (Front/Back) rather than pitch equilibrium. IMO the sound is much fuller when the rear speakers are making a definite contribution.

Last edited:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
It's all personal preference...

zaver5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
In previous cars, I tended to place the balance just behind my ears/ headrests. That was my personal preference.

I have yet to figure out how to change the settings with Android Auto on. The car seems to lock me out of the balance settings...

civic5x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R, '16 Civic Sedan Touring, 2016 Land Rover LR4
Country flag
I just wish my Touring came with a cd player.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
In previous cars, I tended to place the balance just behind my ears/ headrests. That was my personal preference.

I have yet to figure out how to change the settings with Android Auto on. The car seems to lock me out of the balance settings...
Same here, have not figured out how to adjust it. Maybe we would need to use an equalizer within the phone to adjust those?

OP
OP
DjinTonic

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can transfer your CDs to a thumb drive. Think of all those CDs and cases you won't have to bring back and forth from the car.

I've adjusted R/L to be one notch to the R side (since I, the driver, am on the left), and the Front/Back to be around my ears. I'm now using the Neural/Surround setting. And I set the subwoofer a couple of notches left of midpoint. All-in-all a big improvement for the classical music (and voice) I listen to (FM and Sirius). With regard to equalization (Treble/Mid/Bass), that will most likely be an average for the type of music you listen to and your preferences -- you don't want to have to readjust them for each recording.
Sponsored

Last edited: