baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The DC2 Integra Type-R was, and is, an iconic Honda. From the handbuilt engine to the extensive chassis modifications, it is one of the purest driving cars ever sold. However, the result of the bespoke additions to the car meant that Honda lost money on every one sold. The company also developed, to a high level, a supercharged all-wheel-drive version of the DC2. Road tests at the time placed it as far more capable than its contemporaries, such as the Toyota Celica GT4, Lancia Delta Integrale and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Nevertheless the production, frontwheel-drive DC2 Type-R did more than enough to leave a lasting impression on the industry.
From Vehicle Dynamics International magazine, May/June 2015, http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/6d0c58a3#/6d0c58a3/74

http://www.vehicledynamicsinternational.com
Sponsored

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The DC2 chassis wasn't meant for AWD drivetrain. It would require some extensive modification and wouldn't make financial sense.

The FK8 is built on the Honda global platform, which is shared with the CRV. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda is already testing an AWD CTR.

Ultimately, if an AWD CTR doesn't produce faster dry lap times, then there's really no reason to make one for the public IMO. This isn't an STI or RS, where the car is marketed to be a 365 day car.

I think Honda would have to bump up the power considerably if it were to make a competitive AWD version. As it stands, FWD would be faster in the dry.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
The DC2 chassis wasn't meant for AWD drivetrain. It would require some extensive modification and wouldn't make financial sense.

The FK8 is built on the Honda global platform, which is shared with the CRV. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda is already testing an AWD CTR.

Ultimately, if an AWD CTR doesn't produce faster dry lap times, then there's really no reason to make one for the public IMO. This isn't an STI or RS, where the car is marketed to be a 365 day car.

I think Honda would have to bump up the power considerably if it were to make a competitive AWD version. As it stands, FWD would be faster in the dry.
Why not? It has a better street ride than the STI and RS so it's already a better daily driver and let's be honest hear in that probably more than 80% of owners will never be tracking their Type R's.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Why not? It has a better street ride than the STI and RS so it's already a better daily driver and let's be honest hear in that probably more than 80% of owners will never be tracking their Type R's.
Personally the CTR would be last on my list if I had to drive the car in the snow. Yes you can put on snow tires, but AWD will always be superior. Not to the mention ground clearance, all the plastic panels, etc. This is coming from someone who just picked up his CTR.

Reactions: GNS

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag

DB9 was awd and thats not far off a Dc2 chassis.
Honda Civic 10th gen A little nugget of history for those wanting an AWD Type R IMG_3791.PNG

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Personally the CTR would be last on my list if I had to drive the car in the snow. Yes you can put on snow tires, but AWD will always be superior. Not to the mention ground clearance, all the plastic panels, etc. This is coming from someone who just picked up his CTR.
It's not really any lower than an STI which has a low hanging front lip and the majority of STI's are winter driven.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
It's not really any lower than an STI which has a low hanging front lip and the majority of STI's are winter driven.
Sti doesn't come standard with a front lip. It's an optional accessory.

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

There is absolutely ZERO evidence they are testing an AWD version. This is 100% speculation.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
While an AWD version of the CTR will appeal to the masses, those who feel they car lacks something in comparison to other cars in its segment, it will be way more expensive to justify for Honda. It is more suitable for Acura. You might get AWD, but at what cost..? Euro sport car money, used GTR, etc.
CTR needs no AWD at this point.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
While an AWD version of the CTR will appeal to the masses, those who feel they car lacks something in comparison to other cars in its segment, it will be way more expensive to justify for Honda. It is more suitable for Acura. You might get AWD, but at what cost..? Euro sport car money, used GTR, etc.
CTR needs no AWD at this point.
Wouldn't it be priced in line with its primary competitors (~$40k), i.e. Focus RS, Golf R, STI? None of those are premium brands by any means. Not counting ADM of course....

lbiaggi

First Name
Light
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Honda Prelude SI
Sorry to disagree with you i drove FWD in snow ( by snow i talk even 1+ foot with no issue , it is about how you drive not about awd . and btw i drove all season not even winter wheels.

I do not know about your state but in Maine driving in snow is like driving in a sunny day at california

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Sorry to disagree with you i drove FWD in snow ( by snow i talk even 1+ foot with no issue , it is about how you drive not about awd . and btw i drove all season not even winter wheels.

I do not know about your state but in Maine driving in snow is like driving in a sunny day at california
I agree. FWD with winter tires is capable for 95% of the winter weather most will encounter in North America. I think this "have to have AWD in the winter" mentality has been hammered into the heads of people due to Subaru popularity growth of the past decade as well as CUV/SUV's. It's nice to have but for most people it's not an absolute need for winter driving. Tires will always been the most important factor when it comes to winter driving. The Honda Civic has been the perennial best selling car in Canada for decades and it's FWD and we get a lot of snow and cold weather up here so clearly AWD is not an absolute need for most.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag

I'd have to agree with this. I grew up driving Honda in the snow where a foot or more was a norm. To make things worse, our house was at the very top of a steep hill. It's all a matter of knowing how to drive in the snow. I know folks with 4x4 trucks who have gotten stuck more than my FWD cars because of how much confidence they had. Ice, on the other hand, is a different beast. No AWD can save anyone from icy roads.
Sponsored