A fix for interior rattling / clicking noise near central dash (2018 Si Coupe)

Do you experience interor rattles / clicking noise / buzzing sound?

• Yes

Votes: 74 88.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 11.9%

• Total voters

bigdodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 18 / Civic Type R 19
Country flag
Hey folks. I've been experiencing a weird rattling / clicking sounds near my central dash area since day 1 i owned my 2018 Civic Si Coupe. I looked up many threads on this forum; I took my car to the dealer; and I tried to diagnose the issue myself for 2 months. Eventually I think I have a solution. My car hasn't rattled for 5 days now. I know many people are suffering from rattling / clicking noises, so I think it is time to share what i did. This is definitely NOT the cause of every rattling / clicking issue. I am sorry in advance if it doesn't help you.

First of all, these are two video clips showing my symptoms:

I've watched videos from other guys. Different issues have different sounds. So listen carefully.

The root cause of the issue is that the complicated central console structure. Yeah we get it Honda, it does provide a little bit more space and can hide some phone wires. However, the excessive gaps in between the hard plastic pieces are creating vibration thus the clicking sounds. The solution is very straightforward: add damping materials in between the gaps. I purchased some Sorbothane pads hoping to absorb the vibration. After inserting 6 pieces in different locations and a month of trial and error, here is what I went through:

The first location I tried is:
https://imgur.com/66VDlc8
Honda Civic 10th gen A fix for interior rattling / clicking noise near central dash (2018 Si Coupe) {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen A fix for interior rattling / clicking noise near central dash (2018 Si Coupe) {filename}

This is the location where the upper level plastic phone holder meets the back of the panel. It did help a bit. However, I heard the same clicking noised only after 1 day.

The second location I tried is:
https://imgur.com/bdux0Wb

This is the bigger panel on the bottom. It is incredibly floppy and loose. Although when i shake it it made a different noise, I was mostly certain this might contribute to the rattle. After 2 days, I heard the same clicking noise again after a 20 mile drive. I was very frustrated.

The last and final location I tried is:
https://imgur.com/voWAveZ

I believe this is the key location that makes most of the clicking noise. When my wife tapped her hand against this gap, the noise was completely gone. The gap is located underneath the upper phone holder, in between the shifter and the side plastic panel. It's been 5 days now. I've tried various engine loads and have been driving the car to work every day. There is a rough freeway exit on my way to work. It is a good tester for rattles and I did not hear a thing. I am finally free from the clicking noise! Thank god!

I hope this post can somehow help you. Sorry about my rant. I know I am not buying a luxury car and I don't expect a perfectly quiet ride. I even search online with every make and model + "rattle" to comfort myself. (See, that Mustang also rattles!) At the end of the day, I am simply not convinced that a brand new car should have such an interior rattle. I went to the dealer hearing this noised on my way there and on my way back. All the answer i got was "not able to hear it". I am very disappointed in Honda and how they treat customers. I will certainly be more careful when I pick my next car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hawkman199

First you get smooth, fast comes all by itself.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000 (sold), 2018 Civic Si, 2021 Type R (pending)
Country flag
Thanks for this. I get a buzzing sound from the dash, especially when cold. I'll try this out and report back.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I have what sounds like a wire vibrating on the plastic under the center of the dash. Only happens when it's cold but it's annoying as all hell. Also, my doors and dash ends make noise when the music is up at about 20+ Also very annoying. Winter with this car has been a pain with these noises but I tell myself I'll get around to hunting down the sources and fix it myself. No way I'm going into the dealer for them to hunt down noises only to be told they wont do anything about it or they want to rip apart the whole thing.

CoconutsRnuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 10th
I have what sounds like a wire vibrating on the plastic under the center of the dash. Only happens when it's cold but it's annoying as all hell. Also, my doors and dash ends make noise when the music is up at about 20+ Also very annoying. Winter with this car has been a pain with these noises but I tell myself I'll get around to hunting down the sources and fix it myself. No way I'm going into the dealer for them to hunt down noises only to be told they wont do anything about it or they want to rip apart the whole thing.
Philly area here too, mine mostly vibrates from stop, but i didn't know the cold had something to do with it too.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Philly area here too, mine mostly vibrates from stop, but i didn't know the cold had something to do with it too.
Plastic gets brittle in the cold weather so it sounds terrible. Your car will always be noisier in the cold weather.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
I have what sounds like a wire vibrating on the plastic under the center of the dash. Only happens when it's cold but it's annoying as all hell.
Something of a thread revive I know, but I'm suffering the same problem - Were you ever able to pin it down?

I've had the headunit out, both driver and passenger under dash out, roof console - the lot; Everywhere I've found small "rattly" bits which I've padded out, tesa taped, added sound deadening material - To some progress, but I've still got a wire rattling sound.

There was one under the headunit where a bear wire was touching the HVAC, which I re-wrapped, but that doesn't seem to have solved it.

Going to have a play with OP's suggestion of the wedge under the shifter / lower console area; If that doesn't work I think I'll be having the whole center console out again ?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Something of a thread revive I know, but I'm suffering the same problem - Were you ever able to pin it down?

I've had the headunit out, both driver and passenger under dash out, roof console - the lot; Everywhere I've found small "rattly" bits which I've padded out, tesa taped, added sound deadening material - To some progress, but I've still got a wire rattling sound.

There was one under the headunit where a bear wire was touching the HVAC, which I re-wrapped, but that doesn't seem to have solved it.

Going to have a play with OP's suggestion of the wedge under the shifter / lower console area; If that doesn't work I think I'll be having the whole center console out again ?
I got a different car which fixed the problem but isn't the ideal solution for everyone haha

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
I'm only 200 miles into my SI, but I only hear a light tick/rattle when the AC is on...

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Hopefully I haven't spoken too early, but after a quick test drive tonight after stuffing some foam in that gap, I think my months long quest to cure the rattles may be cured. ?

Looks like I'll have to find something else to do with my evenings! ?

Danny2004

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring A
Country flag
Hey folks. I've been experiencing a weird rattling / clicking sounds near my central dash area since day 1 i owned my 2018 Civic Si Coupe. I looked up many threads on this forum; I took my car to the dealer; and I tried to diagnose the issue myself for 2 months. Eventually I think I have a solution. My car hasn't rattled for 5 days now. I know many people are suffering from rattling / clicking noises, so I think it is time to share what i did. This is definitely NOT the cause of every rattling / clicking issue. I am sorry in advance if it doesn't help you.

First of all, these are two video clips showing my symptoms:

I've watched videos from other guys. Different issues have different sounds. So listen carefully.

The root cause of the issue is that the complicated central console structure. Yeah we get it Honda, it does provide a little bit more space and can hide some phone wires. However, the excessive gaps in between the hard plastic pieces are creating vibration thus the clicking sounds. The solution is very straightforward: add damping materials in between the gaps. I purchased some Sorbothane pads hoping to absorb the vibration. After inserting 6 pieces in different locations and a month of trial and error, here is what I went through:

The first location I tried is:

This is the location where the upper level plastic phone holder meets the back of the panel. It did help a bit. However, I heard the same clicking noised only after 1 day.

The second location I tried is:

This is the bigger panel on the bottom. It is incredibly floppy and loose. Although when i shake it it made a different noise, I was mostly certain this might contribute to the rattle. After 2 days, I heard the same clicking noise again after a 20 mile drive. I was very frustrated.

I believe this is the key location that makes most of the clicking noise. When my wife tapped her hand against this gap, the noise was completely gone. The gap is located underneath the upper phone holder, in between the shifter and the side plastic panel. It's been 5 days now. I've tried various engine loads and have been driving the car to work every day. There is a rough freeway exit on my way to work. It is a good tester for rattles and I did not hear a thing. I am finally free from the clicking noise! Thank god!

I hope this post can somehow help you. Sorry about my rant. I know I am not buying a luxury car and I don't expect a perfectly quiet ride. I even search online with every make and model + "rattle" to comfort myself. (See, that Mustang also rattles!) At the end of the day, I am simply not convinced that a brand new car should have such an interior rattle. I went to the dealer hearing this noised on my way there and on my way back. All the answer i got was "not able to hear it". I am very disappointed in Honda and how they treat customers. I will certainly be more careful when I pick my next car.
Hi I’m just wondering what size of sorbothane you use like size? Thanks
Sponsored