jacobegg

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
A friend of mine offered me his wheels for $500. Rim and tires. (Pictures attached/sorry for image quality... low light) Tire life is decent. Probably around 40%. Two wheels have some bad curb rash, other two have minor curb rash. So here are my questions

1. Is that a good deal considering damage?
2. Would it be expensive to get them fixed?
3. I have 17s and these are 18s, would that mess up anything on my car or would it adjust? (I have Honda sensing if that matters)

thanks for any help!

Honda Civic 10th gen A few questions about these wheels A5C9B636-DC61-4100-A411-2A116192405E

Honda Civic 10th gen A few questions about these wheels 97AC4666-7DD8-4765-A44C-6FBC7C490F90

Honda Civic 10th gen A few questions about these wheels 88D1CE65-8636-448A-9356-A222571CE465

Honda Civic 10th gen A few questions about these wheels 9486AB08-5724-46FF-8C13-0DE5C5282C57

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Price is reasonable. As far as fixing the wheels, a pro would probably charge a couple hundred total to fix those machined wheels, but ask around. You could also attempt to fix them yourself but a pro would do a better job of fixing them.

The larger wheels won't mess anything up as far as sensing goes because diameter is basically the same. They will give you improved handling and looks. The only "negative" comes from using a heavier, wider wheel/tire combo. MPG's will go down a touch and acceleration and braking distances could be ever so slightly worse. They would be a bit worse in snow if that's a concern and the lower profile tires would ride slightly harsher.

To sum it up, it's a good price and will give you better looks and handling with some small sacrifices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jacobegg

jacobegg

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Price is reasonable. As far as fixing the wheels, a pro would probably charge a couple hundred total to fix those machined wheels, but ask around. You could also attempt to fix them yourself but a pro would do a better job of fixing them.

The larger wheels won't mess anything up as far as sensing goes because diameter is basically the same. They will give you improved handling and looks. The only "negative" comes from using a heavier, wider wheel/tire combo. MPG's will go down a touch and acceleration and braking distances could be ever so slightly worse. They would be a bit worse in snow if that's a concern and the lower profile tires would ride slightly harsher.

To sum it up, it's a good price and will give you better looks and handling with some small sacrifices.
Thanks for the detailed answer! Would it mess up my speedometer at all?

If they have curb rash I think your buddy needs some lessons in driving :p
Parking lessons:lol:
He said it was from previous owner but I’m not sure If I believe it lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed answer! Would it mess up my speedometer at all?
Basically no. They are only like a tenth of an inch smaller diameter, so the speedo wouldn't really noticeably change at all.

Last edited:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just some unsolicited thoughts here...

I could definitely tell the difference in ride quality with those wheels versus the 16" that came on my LX vs the 17" that I have now. I'm kinda' picky about that stuff though. Additionally... the increased possibility of wheel damage from bad roads led me to pick the 17" as a good compromise.

If you're gonna' spend a couple of hundred (?) for repairs; maybe just wait for a less damaged set to come around? And if the tires are stock; check out the reviews. Lots of folks don't like them.

Not trying to talk you into/out of anything. Just trying to throw some other thoughts on the table.

Here's what I ended up with. I believe I paid $650 with shipping for the 4 wheels. No tires, though.

Good luck with it all.

Honda Civic 10th gen A few questions about these wheels IMG_20190618_193414

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I would no buy those wheels.
They are too damaged and if it is not repaired correctly they will disappoint you all the life of the car.
Not to mention the diameter which is different of which I am not certain of the consequences.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would no buy those wheels.
They are too damaged and if it is not repaired correctly they will disappoint you all the life of the car.
Not to mention the diameter which is different of which I am not certain of the consequences.
The diameter is only minutely smaller and will not be a problem. It's the same size the 2019 Touring sedan uses.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The computer is programmed with the wheel size and tire type (summer vs all season vs winter) This has to be done with a Honda tech tool but most dealerships don't know about it.

In the installation literature for the Si's HFP wheel upgrade (18" ->19") it outlines the procedure. There was one fella on here that upgraded the wheels and had issues with not having traction/too much wheelspin until he took the printed instructions into the dealership and convinced/paid them to update the wheel settings.

Why Honda didn't expose these settings via the DIC or the vehicle settings in the infotainment I don't know. Seems really stupid for such a simple change.