A/C Making Weird Noises

navynate88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Good afternoon all,

New to the forum here, but I have a quick question for the masses. It seems my Air Conditioning unit is making some weird noises and I want to know if anyone else is experiencing it. The noise kind of sounds like a screeching or metal rubbing but is very subtle but annoying. You can only hear it when the radio is off but it isn't constant.

Maybe I am just crazy but I want to see if anyone else is hearing things!

Thanks!
Sponsored

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Good afternoon all,

New to the forum here, but I have a quick question for the masses. It seems my Air Conditioning unit is making some weird noises and I want to know if anyone else is experiencing it. The noise kind of sounds like a screeching or metal rubbing but is very subtle but annoying. You can only hear it when the radio is off but it isn't constant.

Thanks!
Can you make a recording? Can you hear it from outside the cabin? Does it stop when the A/C is turned off?

OP
OP
navynate88

navynate88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
You cannot hear it from outside the cabin. I also noticed that when in aux power and the fan is running you can't hear it either. It is only when the car is actually running. It won't let me upload any sound files... but I have one.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Good afternoon all,

Thanks!
The A/C compressor doesn't run continuously but cycles for better fuel economy and performance. This is likely what you're hearing. It shouldn't be too loud but you may be able to feel it in the engine load. You should also be able to hear and perhaps determine where it's coming from with the hood open, engine running, and the A/C on.
Have the dealer's tech listen when you take it in for servicing. (In the "old days" you could sometimes get a squeal or screech from a loose A/C or power steering belt slipping but those days are (hopefully) gone.)

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The A/C compressor doesn't run continuously but cycles for better fuel economy and performance.
2016 Civic has a variable displacement A/C compressor, so should cycle on and off much less. (The point of the VDC.) It will modulate the displacement. Can't say as this makes any new noises one way or the other, but I will not be surprised if ti sounds "different".

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
2016 Civic has a variable displacement A/C compressor, so should cycle on and off much less. (The point of the VDC.) It will modulate the displacement. Can't say as this makes any new noises one way or the other, but I will not be surprised if ti sounds "different".
Thanks - that's a feature I missed in reading up on the new Civic.

OP
OP
navynate88

navynate88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for the assistance! It is at the dealership right now, they had one of their tech's take a ride with me in both my vehicle and another Touring on the lot. The sound was only present in mine so they kept it for diagnosis. Will let everyone know what they find!

NickfromSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey nate, Made an account as soon as i saw your post. Im having a similar problem in my '16 EX. I have been describing my problem as more of a fluttering noise. It seems to be primarily coming from my driver-side center vent. It almost sounds like a piece of paper fluttering/rustling in a breeze. It's really subtle, and some people (especially older folks) cant even hear the noise. I am 23 years old and i can hear it loud and clear, and it has been driving me absolutely nuts. My dealership seems to be busy more often than not so i decided to squeeze under the dash and pop out the squirrel cage AC filter in the hopes that there was a leaf or something fluttering in there causing said noise... Unfortunately that wasn't the case so i'm stumped. I ended up taking it to the dealer and leaving it over night for them to diagnose the problem. They called me the next morning to tell me that they wanted me to drive it 1000 more miles to give it a chance to "break in" in the hopes that it would go away on its own. I feel that they're just delaying tearing apart the dash... because i doubt this noise will fix itself. I'll record a video on my phone if anyone is interested; though, as i mentioned earlier it is a very faint noise. Its probably more detectable by human-ear.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
What was that ruckus?
Uh, what ruckus?
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.
Could you describe the ruckus, sir?

OP
OP
navynate88

navynate88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
My dealership did a complete evacuation and recharge with a deep vacuum and it appears as though that actually fixed the problem. It only takes a couple of hours to complete. I would have them give that a shot. I'm very impressed with how quick my dealership has been with getting every little issue fixed with my new car.

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
My dealership did a complete evacuation and recharge with a deep vacuum and it appears as though that actually fixed the problem. It only takes a couple of hours to complete. I would have them give that a shot. I'm very impressed with how quick my dealership has been with getting every little issue fixed with my new car.
Hi
Can you upload the sound file you have as there is a option of uploading a file from your computer and/or cellphone just besides the post reply button. I think I am having the same issue but want to make sure first. Thanks

OP
OP
navynate88

navynate88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to upload the sound file but it said it doesn't have the right type of extension. Please PM me and I can send it another way if you'd like.