9th gen Si vs 10th gen Si, a short comparison.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
The new one has much better usuable power .
I agree with you. However, better usable power doesn't always equate to fun for some people.

very true statement, just seems like some are overly harsh. Perhaps some aren't used to turbo cars. Entirely different feel to that of a N/A car.
but whatever. I'm not a fan of turbo lag but with all the other really good points on the new car I can look past it. Its not detrimental to me. No car is perfect, never has been a single one and never will be.

You guys want a fast raw car, get an EVO (VIII) - those are pretty brutal to me (having owned one). Very fun car but I'll take my new SI any day.
TBH I think most of the harsh statements are maybe due to them putting the same 1.5t that is in the base civic line. Before, the Si would totally have a different motor with much more power output but now, theres barely anything different from the power pnt.

Different car for different ppl. Every single person has different needs/wants in a car. It's like ppl justifying their purchase of the SI over the base, and the base owners justifying their purchase of the base over the SI lol. I appreciate all cars in general and don't get stuck in the past or to a certain brand.

I would definitely buy an Evo 8 if i had the opportunity to. It's just impossible to find one that hasn't been modded and they're all either modded or put back to stock. I'm holding off on buying the SI because I want to see if I have a chance to purchase the Type R.
Sponsored

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
also good statement. I too was hoping and wishing for a "detuned" Type R motor but didn't happen.

Not saying the EXT is not worth it, but the SI is worth the extra cash for the larger brakes, LSD and seats alone. Can never have enough stopping power IMO! I like these brakes a lot.

Be careful if you find yourself with an EVO. The EVO's power comes on abruptly and strong, it feels awesome but can catch you off guard. Brought the wife to tears the first time she rode with me. I thought she would think its fun, but nope....
Probably not a popular concept but I'm a firm believer I think people should be rated for the cars they drive, in terms of power, capability and size. Just because you have the means to buy a super power car doesn't mean you have the ability to control it. I've seen lots of times where cars get away from people and it goes badly or could even involve bystanders.

Or even power aside, the people with massive trucks and SUVs that don't seem to know the edges of their vehicle. :)

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
but how many people will really use the "LSD" on the SI. I guess it lessens torque steer to a certain point but as a daily driver stand point I don't think many people will notice the difference from having a diff or not. Brakes I agree though. Also keep in mind it doesn't have a hatch form!

With the Evo, my very good friend has a 03 and drove it a few times so I know the feel. I just can't find a stock one lol.

I've seen lots of times where cars get away from people and it goes badly or could even involve bystanders.
are you talking about mustang memes :rofl:

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
just seems like some are overly harsh
We're overly harsh because we WANTED to like it. We cared enough to make an account on a forum to post about it.

For every one of us, there are hundreds more that test drove it and moved on unimpressed, or never bothered to test drive in the first place. There's nothing more "harsh" than not even giving the car a chance. Every person who signed up here to post here about it is at least being fair to it.

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The
We're overly harsh because we WANTED to like it. We cared enough to make an account on a forum to post about it.

For every one of us, there are hundreds more that test drove it and moved on unimpressed, or never bothered to test drive in the first place. There's nothing more "harsh" than not even giving the car a chance. Every person who signed up here to post here about it is at least being fair to it.
The fact that you don't own an Civic SI X and you made an account here to tell everyone here who is enjoying their Si's just how much you don't like it... I mean come on. If you enjoy your 9th gen so much enjoy your 9th gen and stop bashing the forums. No offense but you guys sound like crybabies.

2017civicext

R-15474
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2021 CBP Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I do miss winding out my 9th gen to 7k and the sound it made ... But that's the only thing I miss compared to my 10th gen .
I am with you there, that's the only thing I can say I miss about my 9th gen. I personally love the power of the 10th si. It is my first turbo car so maybe I am just enjoying the feel of the turbo kicking in. But it really does feel quite a bit faster.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
The

The fact that you don't own an Civic SI X and you made an account here to tell everyone here who is enjoying their Si's just how much you don't like it... I mean come on. If you enjoy your 9th gen so much enjoy your 9th gen and stop bashing the forums. No offense but you guys sound like crybabies.
:rolleyes1:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I wholeheartedly agree about the lack of "punch" from the motor. And to be honest, even the GTI feels slower than it really is. The linear power delivery combined with the relative lack of torque is primarily to blame on the Si. It's not bad, it's just more consumer friendly for daily driving.

I highly recommend getting seat time in a flashed Si or even an EX-T. The higher TQ-over-HP relationship is on par with most other sport compacts in this category, and brings back some of the midrange grunt you'd experience on cars like the Focus ST, Fiesta ST, and even the WRX to a degree. It's still down on HP, but it adds some of that extra spice I think you are after.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I wholeheartedly agree about the lack of "punch" from the motor. And to be honest, even the GTI feels slower than it really is. The linear power delivery combined with the relative lack of torque is primarily to blame on the Si. It's not bad, it's just more consumer friendly for daily driving.

I highly recommend getting seat time in a flashed Si or even an EX-T. The higher TQ-over-HP relationship is on par with most other sport compacts in this category, and brings back some of the midrange grunt you experience on cars like the Focus ST, Fiesta ST, and even the WRX to a degree. It's still down on HP, but it adds some of that extra spice I think you were expecting.
I think the fact that the torque plateaus up top makes it feel lacking maybe. When I went for a test drive, I didn't really floor it so idk how it feels up top but the low end torque was good enough for me as a DD.

Although If I buy it, first thing I'd do is catless downpipe, tune and a clutch.

My only gripe is the lack of LED headlights. I really wish it came with it. The car just looks more upscale with it imo.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LEDs would be awesome.

do catless downpipes cause a stink? never did one before.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
LEDs would be awesome.

do catless downpipes cause a stink? never did one before.
Yeah. I'd probably have to buy LED headlights too if i get it. I'm just personally not a fan of the halogen projector lay out.

As for the catless, it stinks for ppl behind you mostly but you can still smell it at times. TBH, it's really not bad at normal driving/warm idle but Pretty harsh when you WOT lol

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
one of my bigger gripes about the SI - mainly because they put it on the Canadian ones, but not the US ones. I wouldn't complain if it was same-same. One could complain about the spare tire debacle too. It doesn't bug me as much but it does seem strange to omit that on countries sharing a border (not asia vs north america vs europe)

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
TBH I think most of the harsh statements are maybe due to them putting the same 1.5t that is in the base civic line. Before, the Si would totally have a different motor with much more power output but now, theres barely anything different from the power pnt.
Yes!

If Honda would have installed the 2.0L NA in all "regular" Civics (which itself is a significant step up from the 1.8L in the previous generations) and saved the 1.5 T for the Si, I think we'd see far fewer complaints about the Si. But, if they did that we would lose the economy of scale. If the 1.5 T was exclusive to the Si, the price would probably be closer to $30K than $25K.

The opinion that Honda put too much motor in the EX-T, EX-L, Touring, and hatchback may very well have some validity.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Here are three readouts from the same dyno at Church Automotive in Wilmington, CA. The top is from a 2012 9th Gen Si Coupe. The middle is from my 2009 MS3 (2 baseline, 3 after installing intake with 30-45 miles driving). The bottom is from Hondata's 2017 Si (green represents baseline, yellow represents +6 flash).

Honda Civic 10th gen 9th gen Si vs 10th gen Si, a short comparison. 11089-taking-my-ecu-bisimoto-monday-capture1

Honda Civic 10th gen 9th gen Si vs 10th gen Si, a short comparison. 3145670203_large

Honda Civic 10th gen 9th gen Si vs 10th gen Si, a short comparison. 2017civisi-plus6-plus9-power-torque-500x500

• On the 9th Gen, notice how torque peaks at 2K and holds consistently through 6K.
  • On the MS3 base map, torque peaks at 3K, holds to 4K, and dips steadily through 5.5-6K. This is what is responsible for midrange "punch."
  • On the 10th Gen baseline, torque appears to top out at 2-2.5K RPMs and decrease steadily as RPMs increase.
  • On the 10th Gen +6 map, torque appears to spike 25 ft/lbs higher and hold through 4.5K, then dip steadily at higher RPMs. This curve is more in line with other platforms in this category, including my MS3, and provides more of the midrange grunt that some drivers crave.

It should be mentioned that low RPM torque is comparatively lower on Dynojet and Mustang dynos, due to the presence of rotational mass.