9th gen Si vs 10th gen Si, a short comparison.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
I haven't test driven it yet but having owned an 8th and 9th gen (and before that a Miata and an RX-8 - two other "underpowered" normally aspirated vehicles) I can't imagine the driving experience to be more enjoyable given the traits of this engine even though it's more powerful than any of those. The engine is supposed to be a primary attribute in the fun factor stakes - not the least desirable thing. I'd rather they kept the K24 and tuned it a little at this point.

Like the OP, I'm ready to buy a new car now. But there's none out there that truly appeal to me like I was hoping the new Si would. I've looked at the WRX (too "bro", unrefined interior, shit gas mileage, common as **** around here), GTI (don't trust the reliability but maybe on a three year lease I wouldn't have to worry about that), the Mini Countryman All4 and it's cousin the X1 (same feelings as GTI but they are a lot more expensive), the Civ Sport Touring (hatchback or sedan - but I couldn't stomach paying 5k more for an even less sporty ride) and of course the Type R (thanks Honda for making it unattainable at a reasonable price).

Maybe the best car for me is the one I already have until something else shows up. Or Honda wises up and makes the 2018 more appealing somehow.
Yep, this is exactly what I meant by "leaving us with a void." There is nothing out there now that successfully replaces and improves on the K series. For now, hanging on to the last K in my LX and enjoying this engine eagerly talking to me on my spirited drives is the only option I have. I really wanted the other sportiness that came with the Si.
Sponsored

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I apologize in advance since I know a lot of people already picked one up and are enjoying the car, and honestly If you never experienced the K series engine - this car will feel great and is a perfect daily, but for anyone who touched an 8th or a 9th gen - definitely expect to feel the pain.
No need to apologize - your experiences and opinions are valuable even though they don't make me any less smitten with my '17.

The more reviews I read, it sounds like the Si of the past wouldn't have been as good of a fit for me as the '17. Reviews like yours help validate my purchase of a '17.

Last edited:

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
No I had a 9th gen. I always felt like it was the bastard child of Honda. The ninth gen Civic was so bad they had to go back to the drawing board and come back with upgrades for the next model year. Which is absolutely amazing on Honda's part. And I always felt like it could have been better but in my eyes it wasn't. It was held back by the first year model. Sure I had fun driving it around and the interior was nice but it was ugly as hell from the outside. The car felt like it should have been better but it wasn't. But I hate how this has turned into a discussion all I hear now is which is better. 9th or 10th and how Honda had betrayed everyone and how this isn't an SI. Well to the people who have 9th gen Si's... Unfortunately this car is a Civic with no VTEC and it comes from Honda's factories with an SI badge... That makes it an SI. And it's definitely the best one to date. If you don't like it take your conparisons and negativity elsewhere.

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
Your power problems will be easily solved by a Ktuner basemap. I’m currently running the 23psi map and it’s a completely different car even with 120 degree F Intake air temps. This morning on the way to work with 70ish F IATs, and the car was a BEAST. I’ve given elusiveaura a ride, so he can validate the big improvement...

I am sure everyone here is sick of reading reviews; but for anyone curious about what a 9th gen Si owner thinks, read on.

A little background about my past and current vehicles that I will be using as a baseline to assess the new gen.
I currently daily drive a 9th gen Si with around 45k miles on the clock that I owned since its inception in 2012.
Honda Civic 10th gen 9th gen Si vs 10th gen Si, a short comparison. {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen 9th gen Si vs 10th gen Si, a short comparison. 5d363849cc29e6cab1d01851e63

my weekend toy is a 370z 6mt, which won't really be compared due to being a completely different type of animal, but still being relevant as a baseline.

I am no stranger to honda, my first being an 05' s2000 which in my book is still the best sports car that I've driven to date.

Honda Civic 10th gen 9th gen Si vs 10th gen Si, a short comparison. 5d363849cc29e6cab1d01851e63

-----

The review:

Interior: I love everything in this car from material feel, it punches above its weight and far supersedes the 9th gen interior in both ergonomics and quality of plastics/soft touch materials. The seats are a 10/10 - immense upgrade over the 9th gen, very nicely bolstered. In fact I like the seats even better than my 370z, they actually remind me of the s2000 buckets in terms of feel and grip.
Being cloth is a huge plus for me as it provides the perfect grip/ doesn't feel too cold or hot with the seasons.
I didn't get to play much with the HU or apple/android playy but the layout/gauge cluster felt right at home in this car.

10/10 - good job honda,
-------

Handling/suspension:

I kept the car in sport mode so I can't give you a baseline on the normal mode; but basically - it feels even lighter vs the 9th gen, the spring rate feels perfectly dialed in for street use and firm enough to carve some corners, make no mistake the car is dialed in for understeer but I am sure with a nice rear sway bar it will dial out just like the 9th gen.

My only gripe here is the turning radius is much worse vs. the 9th Si, also not a big deal but for a daily driver I prefer a much tighter steering rack with a narrow turning radius.

I drove the car equipped with summer tires on a hot & humid day, pushing the car inspires confidence and the chassis definitely has A LOT of room for more power, this car could easily handle another 50-60hp/tq on the current suspension/tires without pushing the boundaries too much.

As far as the LSD goes, I do not feel it on my 9th gen just like I didn't on the 17', I think you really have to push the car at 10/10 on a racetrack to feel the benefit, maybe im just a noob but I feel like its more of a gimmick/something to put down on the spec sheet because in the real world I just never felt the benefit, including the VLSD in my 370z.

8/10 - impressed.
---
Drivetrain;

I swear the shifter feels nearly identical to the 9th gen, which is a great thing since the 9th gen was rated as the best transmission in MT back in '12, and it still has some of the s2000 feel as well - making this transmission far superior in terms of feel vs many cars above its price category - it puts the 370z manual shifter to shame, the Si has a satisfying engaging point for each gear and clearly defined shifter gates making a money shift/miss-shift nearly impossible, again adding to the ease of driveabiltiy.

The clutch is surprisingly slightly lighter, this is interesting since it makes the car much easier to drive for a beginner but does take away some of the visceral feeling, it has become more like an on/off switch in this iteration, meaning its nearly impossible to stall it/ drive train lash. I'd prefer a stiffer clutch but I can understand why an entry lever performance sedan has a feather clutch, ultimately its for driveability - your foot will never tire in heavy traffic and driver fatigue will never be an issue.
To the people who are used to stiffer clutches you may be disappointed as I was, but ultimately I can get used to the feel.

Unfortunately this is where the fun stopped and I got a dagger stabbing pain behind my right eye, I am not sure what honda was contemplating when they put the 1.5T in this car, compared to the K24Z7 in the 9th gen this engine is a huge downgrade in terms of feel (at least stock for stock), the torque hits much earlier vs the k24 but that is the only upside, after the initial surge - the car is just dead, in the 9th gen you would first get an initial surge at 4400 and it would keep building all the way to 7000 rpm allowing you to ride the wave of exhilaration with anticipation of the next gear pull.

Don't get me wrong, on paper and in real life the 10th gen is most likely as fast or maybe even faster vs the 9th Si, but sitting behind the wheel of both, the excitement of acceleration is just not there - maybe its partially due to the 10th gen exhaust being at least half as loud or the much narrower power band, but the end result is not good in stock form - this car needs a tune badly.

This chassis is a gem, but the motor honda chose was a huge mistake, this car needed the 2.0 from the CTR, period.

I came with full intent of trading my 9th gen in, and left with teary eyes and a broken heart, going to wait and see what the tuners can do and maybe redeem the let down that honda bestowed upon us.

4/10 - heart broken.

edit:
I apologize in advance since I know a lot of people already picked one up and are enjoying the car, and honestly If you never experienced the K series engine - this car will feel great and is a perfect daily, but for anyone who touched an 8th or a 9th gen - definitely expect to feel the pain.

This really threw a wrench in to my plans since I already had financing lined up from my bank, not sure what I am going to do next.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Not everyone wants to flash a car though. Some people are scared that the car won't get warrantied if something goes wrong.

He's also not necessarily complaining about the power output of the 1.5 I think. he's more complaining about how the motor plateaus up top while the K series will keep building power higher you go.

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
Not everyone wants to flash a car though. Some people are scared that the car won't get warrantied if something goes wrong.

He's also not necessarily complaining about the power output of the 1.5 I think. he's more complaining about how the motor plateaus up top while the K series will keep building power higher you go.
Understood, and the improvement is across the whole rev range. Just stating it can be remedied fairly cheaply if desired.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
That's what I don't understand where the problem is. I had a 9th gen tuned as well. The K series does build power all the way but why do you want to wind it out every time to "build". You get all that sexy goodness from low thru most of powerband now on the new SI. The delivery is so much more appealing how it is now. My opinion anyways. And yes, CM's flash is nasty. I'll be getting ktuner and Vit in next couple months.

Understood, and the improvement is across the whole rev range. Just stating it can be remedied fairly cheaply if desired.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
That's what I don't understand where the problem is. I had a 9th gen tuned as .well. The K series does build power all the way but why do you want to wind it out every time to "build". You get all that sexy goodness from low thru most of powerband now on the new SI. The delivery is so much more appealing how it is now. My opinion anyways. And yes, CM's flash is nasty. I'll be getting ktuner and Vit in next couple months.
It's just a different feeling compared to having all that torque down low and losing the feeling as you go higher up. That's the same thing ppl who own cars with higher displacement says. "Why do you want to rev it out so high to move the car when I can just have 300 ft of torque at 2k rpm and move the car cause i have a V8"

I drive an AP1 and although being slow, there is nothing like the feeling of winding the motor up to 9k and hearing it scream at that rpm.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
Yep, this is exactly what I meant by "leaving us with a void." There is nothing out there now that successfully replaces and improves on the K series. For now, hanging on to the last K in my LX and enjoying this engine eagerly talking to me on my spirited drives is the only option I have. I really wanted the other sportiness that came with the Si.
I think the new Si is great, but I know what you mean. I don't have a 9th gen Si, but a 2G Acura TSX with essentially the same engine and 6MT. I've had it for almost eight years and 109k miles, so I'm thinking about a replacement. I have driven the new Si, and I think it's a fantastic overall package, but I wasn't sufficiently blown away to want to replace my TSX with an Si in the near term. So I've decided to just enjoy one of the last vestiges of Honda NA VTEC/6MT goodness for awhile longer.

I'm intrigued by the Type-R, and very curious about what the next Acura ILX will offer, so maybe one of those will motivate me to move on from the TSX. I thought the Type-R would be out of the question, but the reviews indicate it has excellent DD-worthy ride quality, so it just might work.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
@Redglare :grouphug:

I cried after the test drive this past weekend. I wanted to like this so much, too, and be wowed by its new identity and character. My initial conclusion is that for those who have never had an Si will love this Si. For most of those (not all) who lived with the K series will not like the new Si.

Which is perfectly fine. I'm okay that everyone has different needs, wants, and past history / experience with different cars. I definitely disagree that, as a car, this is a fail or a dud as some may say. And, I'm very happy for those of you who already live with this car and are enjoying it. :thumbsup:

What made me sad is that with so many darn trims and styles the 10th gen has, the FEEL (not the specs) of all the turbos are just too similar, and left us with a void. They ALL ride/drive the same, and the hatch and Si are even more similar. I had test driven an EX-T before and was hoping that the Si would kick it up a notch in the driving-experience department.

I never thought that my *LX* would feel closer to the 9th gen Si. 10th gen is already a great platform; it only makes sense. To me, the new Si is missing the rawness and liveliness that I was looking for in a sporty car. Overall, it felt too subdued. I understand some people are looking for that. I never considered my LX to be raw, but it is now compared to this Si.

I'm going to give it some more time, test drive again, and see how I feel. It took me a few test drives before deciding to buy the 15 Si so the same could happen.
pretty much spot on. I keep checking back and looking at the Si hoping I'll like it, but I just can't forgive Honda for such a lazy effort on the 17 Si. I know the powertrain is capable of WRX-like numbers with a much better chassis, but I want the Si to be what it's always been best at - being a thrill from the factory. That's the whole reason people lusted for TypeR's for years - Honda reliability/reputation to an actual performance package - not just an option trim. Add to fact that it needs a clutch to make good power and you have the same problem of WRX vs STi - the TypeR doesn't seem so expensive anymore after you look at how much money you put modding an Si with clutch job, tires, tune, etc.

Pretty much in-line with my review.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/lacking-character-my-long-si-review.11859/

VTEC was an excitement multiplier. The VTC Turbo engine makes better power everywhere, but in the same way that people defend the 200hp on the 17 Si with "power isn't everything", VTEC was the reason we forgave 200hp on previous Si's in the first place. It is truly a thrill that is un-like anything else in any price bracket. It didn't matter that you weren't going that fast - you just wanted to rev the motor out over and over. You wanted to go faster because it sounded so good. You didn't want to slow down for the corner because you were rewarded for going faster.

VTEC Hondas will be something we talk about for years. People still write articles today on how great they are today.
http://jalopnik.com/how-the-acura-integra-type-r-makes-modern-sport-compact-1795295614

I just can't see this kind of lust years later with this Si. There's nothing to write about the 2017 Si other than "it had more usable torque", "handles nicely" and "got great MPG".

The 2017 Si has made me think about grabbing a modern VTEC car now before they're gone. It's not always about going fast - it's about having fun doing it. There will always be cars that handle nicely and make decent power - there will not be another thrill like driving an NA VTEC. I would highly consider keeping your 15 Si, because there will be nothing else like it anymore. I'm debating it myself, just haven't had time to test drive all the VTEC cars, just an 8th gen almost a decade ago. Hell, the 8th gen Si I drove almost a decade ago had a more lasting impression on me than the 2017 Si.

And it's not that the 10th gen Si NEEDED VTEC - it's that they took away VTEC and replaced it with (almost) nothing. The Sport button is a wasted gimmick. The throttle response is worse with turbolag and how they tuned the powerband. The LSD isn't as useful when the powerband is so narrow and laggy. The suspension handles "nicely", but not aggressively (something that could have been accomplished with a Sport button while retaining comfort with "Normal" mode).

When you consider the fact that Ford built a more exciting car for less money (Fiesta ST), it stings to realize that fact. Yes, the Honda is more reliable and has a better reputation, but that's a weak excuse. You don't have to trade reliability for excitement. You can have both. And somehow HONDA....of all people, HONDA....wasn't able to build a car that does both for ~$25k. People flocked to the Fiesta ST. Journalists loved the Fiesta ST and was the most purchased car among them. How was Honda not able to beat that?

People who say "well that's what the Type-R is for" - that's a pathetic argument. There is no reason a 25k compact shouldn't be exciting to drive. Yes, exciting is subjective, and if you enjoy your 2017 Si, all the power to you. But the ~25k compact performance car market is so bland right now. You either gamble with a Ford ST, take your chances with a VW/GTI (even though I personally don't think they're as unreliable as the rest of the brand's lineup), deal with a small FRS/86/BRZ, or just get a WRX. The 20k-30k performance car segment is a huge market - telling people to step up to 30k-40k segment is stupid. The 2017 Si is built off a chassis and platform that is capable of being much more than a middle-of-the-road option of the above mentioned.

I will put my money down for a ~25k performance compact that I can have fun in stock form. The fun of the 2017 Si was pretty much all explored in the test drive and left no surprises. In the meantime, at least I get 90% Civic Si while having a car that drives itself through rush hour traffic (and more refined interior).

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For what its worth, stock for stock

New SI - great car, good power, strong torque, excellent handling, excellent MPG - easy to achieve 40mpg (deal with a bit of turbo lag that could be cleaned up by a tune) but I'll trade a bit of turbo lag for 10+mpg.

Old SI - great car, good power, decent torque, a bit better sound, okay handling and not nearly as good MPG for those who care about it.

both great cars and to each their own but I'm not understanding all the negativity around the new SI.
Keep in mind this is Honda's first "real" go at large scale Production turbo-engines. I'm sure they will get refined like anything else over time. I've driven all generation SI's lots of times and I enjoy my new SI Turbo very much.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
both great cars and to each their own but I'm not understanding all the negativity around the new SI.
If you've had all the generation SI's you would know that it happens every single time a refresh comes out.
when the 9th came out, 8th gen ppl was complaining that the new car is more refined and it's losing the rawness.
when the 10th came out, 9th gen ppl is complaining about how the new car is more refined and losing the rawness.

It happens with every single car when a new refresh comes out. Me personally, I love the '15 SI and I even SCed it so it's not as slow as dogsh*t but do plan on getting rid of it for either the new SI or the Type R. I have a 60 mile commute every day for work and the extra mpg, refinement of the interior is worth it since I already have a toy car for if I want to have fun.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
very true statement, just seems like some are overly harsh. Perhaps some aren't used to turbo cars. Entirely different feel to that of a N/A car.
but whatever. I'm not a fan of turbo lag but with all the other really good points on the new car I can look past it. Its not detrimental to me. No car is perfect, never has been a single one and never will be.

You guys want a fast raw car, get an EVO (VIII) - those are pretty brutal to me (having owned one). Very fun car but I'll take my new SI any day.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
The new one has much better usuable power .
Not many car makers are going to build a na 4cyl
Sponsored