9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's a question, since I am an Android Auto noob. Do you have to have AA on the radio and your phone or does this thing even work with AA yet? I got screen mirroring to work, but it makes me leave the phone on to have that work which is distracting and if the phone falls over the wrong way the screen rotation goes away. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's a question, since I am an Android Auto noob. Do you have to have AA on the radio and your phone or does this thing even work with AA yet? I got screen mirroring to work, but it makes me leave the phone on to have that work which is distracting and if the phone falls over the wrong way the screen rotation goes away. Any help is appreciated.
Yeah I am not a fan of the EasyConnect app either. As far as Android Auto goes, they make a usb dongle for that. I am an iPhone user so I purchased a dongle that activates CarPlay. But they make one that can enable both on your headunit. Phoenix sells it but you can probably also find it on GearBest / AliExpress

https://phoenixandroidradios.com/co...arlife-module-for-android-head-units-usb-port

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I've never used either before, does that stuff auto connect without your phone screen being on, once there is a bluetooth or USB connection?

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I've never used either before, does that stuff auto connect without your phone screen being on, once there is a bluetooth or USB connection?
Yes it automatically connects. Your phone has to stay on but you can turn the screen off. With the usb dongle, you just plug it in and it automatically turns on CarPlay after a few seconds. Then everything is controlled by the head unit display. I would imagine that AA is similar but I don't have any experience with AA.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it automatically connects. Your phone has to stay on but you can turn the screen off. With the usb dongle, you just plug it in and it automatically turns on CarPlay after a few seconds. Then everything is controlled by the head unit display. I would imagine that AA is similar but I don't have any experience with AA.
Thank goodness because that screen mirroring shit is annoying AF.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Ah I see. This makes sense. The older model I have installed in my own civic can map keys with the app, but I attached the key1 and key2 wires during installation. Thanks, I'll check that out on XDA.
So after getting a new decoder and harness, still no dice,can you show me what you did with the key1 and key2 wires? Thanks

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So after getting a new decoder and harness, still no dice,can you show me what you did with the key1 and key2 wires? Thanks
Here are the photos that the engineer sent me:
Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) IMG_3572.PNG Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) IMG_3573.PNG

Basically, you remove the corresponding wire from that harness that attaches to the decoder, and instead connect it to the Key1 or Key2 wire directly.

The first image is showing that the white wire running to the decoder should be cut, and then attached directly to Key1 (green wire with white stripe).
Second image is showing that you should cut the orange wire that goes to the decoder, and attach it directly to Key2 (also an orange wire).

Being that these images were sent to me regarding the older phoenix unit, the colors of the wires may be different - so pay attention to which slot they come out of on the harness. The placement in the harness may even be different. However, given how similar these 2 units are to each other and the fact that they are both made by the same company, it is probably safe to assume that the wiring is near identical.

Report back and let me know if it works for you!

Is there a reason that you decided not to return the head unit to Phoenix for a fully functional one?

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMG_3572.PNG IMG_3573.PNG

Basically, you remove the corresponding wire from that harness that attaches to the decoder, and instead connect it to the Key1 or Key2 wire directly.

The first image is showing that the white wire running to the decoder should be cut, and then attached directly to Key1 (green wire with white stripe).
Second image is showing that you should cut the orange wire that goes to the decoder, and attach it directly to Key2 (also an orange wire).

Being that these images were sent to me regarding the older phoenix unit, the colors of the wires may be different - so pay attention to which slot they come out of on the harness. The placement in the harness may even be different. However, given how similar these 2 units are to each other and the fact that they are both made by the same company, it is probably safe to assume that the wiring is near identical.

Report back and let me know if it works for you!

Is there a reason that you decided not to return the head unit to Phoenix for a fully functional one?
I have two wire harnesses at this point so I can modify one to work in the meantime while I see what the seller has to say

Edit: Thanks! That did the trick! While I was at it, I unpinned 3 wires of an unused plug, repined them into the stock microphone slots, cut the plug on the provided microphone, resoldered it up, and I have a working stock microphone.

Last edited:

panda_fk7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP FK7
Country flag
I have two wire harnesses at this point so I can modify one to work in the meantime while I see what the seller has to say

Edit: Thanks! That did the trick! While I was at it, I unpinned 3 wires of an unused plug, repined them into the stock microphone slots, cut the plug on the provided microphone, resoldered it up, and I have a working stock microphone.
mind sharing which wires to do that?

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Awesome! Were the wires on your head unit the same colors as in the images? One of the major benefits for doing this is that you should be able to now map the SWC's to your liking since you bypassed the decoder.

I am also curious about getting the stock microphone to work. Can you provide any more information about locating the wire from the OEM microphone?

tareqhatab

First Name
Tareq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2017 & 1999
Country flag
I have a 9" Android car radio as the down picture.. But I have problem with sterring wheel buttons.. I trying but it's don't work.. If anyone know how it's work I will be soo glad...

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 1386616824-1162170162

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IMG_3572.PNG IMG_3573.PNG

I have a 9" Android car radio as the down picture.. But I have problem with sterring wheel buttons.. I trying but it's don't work.. If anyone know how it's work I will be soo glad...

1386616824-1162170162.jpg
Follow the instructions in this post. That unit looks to be the same as the newer Phoenix model. They are commonly re-branded and sold by companies on eBay.

Once you follow the instructions above, use the WheelKey Study app to map the steering wheel controls.

Last edited:

tareqhatab

First Name
Tareq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2017 & 1999
Country flag
Follow the instructions in this post. That unit looks to be the same as the newer Phoenix model. They are commonly re-branded and sold by companies on eBay.

Once you follow the instructions above, use the WheelKey Study app to map the steering wheel controls.
Her is the screen for the sterring wheel learn in car settings in the radio car .. It's will work?

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) Screenshot_20180101-224454

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Awesome! Were the wires on your head unit the same colors as in the images? One of the major benefits for doing this is that you should be able to now map the SWC's to your liking since you bypassed the decoder.

I am also curious about getting the stock microphone to work. Can you provide any more information about locating the wire from the OEM microphone?
The colors were different, on mine it was a pink and grey wire, but luckily I have the pin out diagram that showed me what was what.
Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 0366EC4E-2635-4E5F-BA56-34D14FD1AE0A

For the mic I basically unpinned the three wires from this unused plug and cut them from the harness.
Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 04C7F724-18EB-4ABD-9981-F86BE021AA8B
You basically take a tiny screw driver, push it into the slow above the pin to release the table then pull out the back.
Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 14E96FE8-F823-4D62-B642-1A10D7F15AE4

One done I cut the microphone provided with the head unit for it's plug, you will see a red center wire and copper wire around it as a ground/ shield. I soldered a single wire to the center wire, and two to the copper ground/ shield wire.

I then consulted this diagram to figure out where to plug the pins.
Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 9E17B048-07A6-4BDF-BDB0-DD3C37901071
22 goes to the center red cable, and the two grounds go to 23 and 6

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 0472EA43-115F-46C7-A8ED-9C3315358B85