9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I soooo want one of these to get the point where they can be recommended without reservation. :) But also one other feature missing from all of them is HD-radio.
Sponsored

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
What functionality have you gained and lost from this? Is the install relatively simple? I've got the color audio (2019 Sport hatchback model) and would really like to have android auto.
I can only speak for my base model 2017 LX Coupe, but it had a color audio head unit as well.

I have gained a much larger and functional touch screen, 2 extra USB Ports, a subwoofer input, the ability to install various apps/software (like a customizable launcher, Waze, OBII reader, a music sensing visualizer, SoundCloud, etc) along with internet connectivity, a better equalizer, GPS functioning, and animations that flash on the screen when sensors detect the doors are opened. Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head.

As for functionality that I have lost? Absolutely nothing at all that I can think of (well, the stock head unit does have a really garbage non-customizable equalizer setting that restricts the bass output progressively at higher volumes and made my sound system sound like complete crap, so I can't say I miss that at all).

The install was really simple, just get some trim panel removal tools and pull off the L-looking things on both sides of the head unit and you can unscrew/unplug everything from there and swap them out. You can also easily wire the GPS thing and mic if you want.

Here's the installation instructions I used:

Gmgunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
I can only speak for my base model 2017 LX Coupe, but it had a color audio head unit as well.

I have gained a much larger and functional touch screen, 2 extra USB Ports, a subwoofer input, the ability to install various apps/software (like a customizable launcher, Waze, OBII reader, a music sensing visualizer, SoundCloud, etc) along with internet connectivity, a better equalizer, GPS functioning, and animations that flash on the screen when sensors detect the doors are opened. Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head.

As for functionality that I have lost? Absolutely nothing at all that I can think of (well, the stock head unit does have a really garbage non-customizable equalizer setting that restricts the bass output progressively at higher volumes and made my sound system sound like complete crap, so I can't say I miss that at all).

The install was really simple, just get some trim panel removal tools and pull off the L-looking things on both sides of the head unit and you can unscrew/unplug everything from there and swap them out. You can also easily wire the GPS thing and mic if you want.

Here's the installation instructions I used:

Did you get the daisata model? If so which one and from where? Also did you lose the ability to track oil life ? If so can you still reset your maintenance reminder when it comes up? Sorry there are so many questions, have been looking for a while but can’t find concrete answers for some questions. Thanks.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Did you get the daisata model? If so which one and from where? Also did you lose the ability to track oil life ? If so can you still reset your maintenance reminder when it comes up? Sorry there are so many questions, have been looking for a while but can’t find concrete answers for some questions. Thanks.
This is the model I got about a year and a half ago:
https://www.amazon.com/Dasaita-Andr...ead+unit&qid=1579981335&sr=8-1#productDetails

My original LX head unit did not have any oil-life related display to begin with (to the best of my memory at least), the Maintenance Minder and oil gauge is on the same display where the speedometer is when you press that long thin button. I think it might be different for higher trims. Is the head unit the only way you can check the Maintenance Minder and oil gauge info?

Gmgunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
This is the model I got about a year and a half ago:
https://www.amazon.com/Dasaita-Andr...ead+unit&qid=1579981335&sr=8-1#productDetails

My original LX head unit did not have any oil-life related display to begin with (to the best of my memory at least), the Maintenance Minder and oil gauge is on the same display where the speedometer is when you press that long thin button. I think it might be different for higher trims. Is the head unit the only way you can check the Maintenance Minder and oil gauge info?
I asked daisata on amazon and they said that you lose the ability to check oil life in the tachometer. I took that to mean the display w the speedometer that has the long button. This is the model I am looking at. https://www.amazon.com/Dasaita-Andr...&pd_rd_r=d7f6ecb6-f535-41bb-b9f4-4c40dbb34d26
Pic of answered question included. Maybe I misinterpreted?

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) BA83DBE7-C7DF-48DA-A353-5F737B89F49D

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
I asked daisata on amazon and they said that you lose the ability to check oil life in the tachometer. I took that to mean the display w the speedometer that has the long button. This is the model I am looking at. https://www.amazon.com/Dasaita-Andr...&pd_rd_r=d7f6ecb6-f535-41bb-b9f4-4c40dbb34d26
Pic of answered question included. Maybe I misinterpreted?

BA83DBE7-C7DF-48DA-A353-5F737B89F49D.jpeg
That looks like the updated version of what I have so there's no logical reason I could think of for them to eliminate the ability to see your oil life. Does your dash look like mine? If so, I don't even think it's connected to the head unit in the LX trim.

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) 20200127_194131

Gmgunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
That looks like the updated version of what I have so there's no logical reason I could think of for them to eliminate the ability to see your oil life. Does your dash look like mine? If so, I don't even think it's connected to the head unit in the LX trim.

20200127_194131.jpg
Yes dash looks exactly the same. There is nothing on my stereo(not the color display)that has anything about the oil life. Just the dash. Thinking abt buying it and returning if there is a problem w the oil life or maintenance reset. About halfway to an oil change now I think.

Topcat

First Name
Morten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T Sport+
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone who knows why all these headunits is not compatible with the digital amp. and oem satnav?
What is the problem?

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport cvt, 2003 Acura RSX (totaled)
Country flag
Just recently installed my Android stereo I purchased from Phoenix Automotive Inc. I received their RK-PK6 64G model, and so far have one foot out the door to returning it.

1.) FM/AM radio reception is noticeably poorer than the stock LX/Sport head unit which is sad. I checked for a FM module shown in previous posts, but I guess the Sport hatch doesn't have one. Their radio app also leaves a lot to be desired. Apparently hitting that search button also clears your presets, and there is no way to fine tune the frequency without using a slider. Anyone know if the FM module is located somewhere else in a Sport hatch, or have any ideas on how to improve the reception in general?

2.) The biggest issue I have is there is a constant faint buzzing static-like white noise when nothing is being played. Almost as if it's trying to do noise-cancelling on headphones, but it just brings the audio quality down. Muting the stereo is the only way to get rid of it, as the volume of this buzzing does not change. When the engine is not running and the music is off, you can "hear" the screen. For example, I had an analog clock on my screen, and could hear frequency noises ticking along with the hands of the clock. I'm told this might be a grounding issue?

3.) I need to mess around with it more, but the sound quality for music is worse than my stock unit so far. The stereo seems to think more bass throughout your speakers equal high quality. Messing with their Amplifier app so far doesn't seem to help. This may be related to the white-noise issue.

4.) When I connect via bluetooth and play apps like Spotify, the sound comes through their Music app, but I can't control the playback either on the steering wheel or unit itself. I can control the playback on their A2DP app, but no sound comes out. Any suggestions?

5.) The microphone is terrible according to the people I've called. I'm told my voice is a little muffled, and the background noise is not filtered out like on the OEM microphone. I think there's a tutorial on hooking up the OEM mic, so I'll try to do that.

The only things I like about this unit so far is that it looks OEM, and I can run Android apps on it. If any current owners can give me some advice and/or solutions, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll likely be returning my purchase.

Yuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic X 1.0 exclusive
Country flag
normally you have a fm amp in rear right if you don't power this unit(or bypass) signal is very slowly

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) sublocatio

for without amp stereo premium

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) speaker location 5inchcolor audio no amp2

for sound change speaker because speaker stock are very bad

Last edited:

elefas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 4dr MY2017
Country flag
Hi! I just installed the Dasaita HU (MAX6), does anyone know how to import contacts from phone (without having to sync via google account)? I paired the phone via BT, I can make calls etc but the contacts list is empty on the HU.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Just recently installed my Android stereo I purchased from Phoenix Automotive Inc. I received their RK-PK6 64G model, and so far have one foot out the door to returning it.

1.) FM/AM radio reception is noticeably poorer than the stock LX/Sport head unit which is sad. I checked for a FM module shown in previous posts, but I guess the Sport hatch doesn't have one. Their radio app also leaves a lot to be desired. Apparently hitting that search button also clears your presets, and there is no way to fine tune the frequency without using a slider. Anyone know if the FM module is located somewhere else in a Sport hatch, or have any ideas on how to improve the reception in general?

2.) The biggest issue I have is there is a constant faint buzzing static-like white noise when nothing is being played. Almost as if it's trying to do noise-cancelling on headphones, but it just brings the audio quality down. Muting the stereo is the only way to get rid of it, as the volume of this buzzing does not change. When the engine is not running and the music is off, you can "hear" the screen. For example, I had an analog clock on my screen, and could hear frequency noises ticking along with the hands of the clock. I'm told this might be a grounding issue?

3.) I need to mess around with it more, but the sound quality for music is worse than my stock unit so far. The stereo seems to think more bass throughout your speakers equal high quality. Messing with their Amplifier app so far doesn't seem to help. This may be related to the white-noise issue.

4.) When I connect via bluetooth and play apps like Spotify, the sound comes through their Music app, but I can't control the playback either on the steering wheel or unit itself. I can control the playback on their A2DP app, but no sound comes out. Any suggestions?

5.) The microphone is terrible according to the people I've called. I'm told my voice is a little muffled, and the background noise is not filtered out like on the OEM microphone. I think there's a tutorial on hooking up the OEM mic, so I'll try to do that.

The only things I like about this unit so far is that it looks OEM, and I can run Android apps on it. If any current owners can give me some advice and/or solutions, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll likely be returning my purchase.

1) I looked up your model online and it looks like there is a tuner unit for your model https://www.hondafactoryparts.com/o...it-39800tbaa21?c=bD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM= as shown in the diagram @Yuma posted. Try using the bypass connector thing that came with the head unit (there is another recent thread where you can find with more details on that) and check if it works better before putting everything back together.

2) My guess is that when you installed the head unit, a loose wire somewhere is in contact with the some metal that is connected to the vehicle's ground which is known to cause the sound you're describing. Make sure all wires are secured in a way they aren't in contact with any metal surfaces, and also double-check your GPS and mic cables (along with any other cables you recently added that are connected to your head unit) as well.

3) Try solving the white noise issue first since that is probably a major factor.

4) If your phone is is the source of the music via bluetooth, then I recommend just getting a decent phone mount like one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXV6K1S/ref=twister_B07NSXLXZL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 to use your phone to control the playback since i'm not really sure if there's a way you can use your steering wheel or head unit to be compatible with the specific app that is running on your phone. The alternative is to install Spotify directly on your head unit and steam data via your phone's wifi hotspot so you can use the steering wheel and obviously the head unit to control it.

5) Did you install the extra wired mic? If so, try removing it and see if the built-in mic is better. If not, try adding it and routing it on the surface right behind the top of the steering wheel.

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Blue Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Hi! I just installed the Dasaita HU (MAX6), does anyone know how to import contacts from phone (without having to sync via google account)? I paired the phone via BT, I can make calls etc but the contacts list is empty on the HU.
If I remember correctly, I had to do two things. In my iPhone's bluetooth settings where it listed the headunit (I think mine was called "CAR-KIT"), I had to click on the info ("i") button next to it and enable Sync Contacts. Then in the head unit in the phone app, go to the contacts section, and I think there was a refresh or circular arrows-type of button at the bottom that syncs the contacts via bluetooth.

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently installed an aftermarket 9" android head unit and was asked to do a review / overview of features. The price was $325 after shipping from China. The device works with all existing features in the 10th gen civic and adds some other features:
  • Backup camera - all angles available, also has trajectory lines that follow steering wheel movement
  • Lane watch - Can be disabled in the settings
  • Bluetooth - works with both Iphone and android-based phones. Downloads your contact list.
  • GPS antenna - Can use pretty much any GPS app from the play store. If you want to use ones that also require data (Waze, Google Maps) then you either have to tether your phone or download the offline maps to the device
  • Wifi - Works great with tethering
  • 2 USB ports - one routes to the OEM USB input, the other one goes behind your dash to the glove box. I keep a 1TB external hard drive connected with all my music / videos etc.
  • Steering wheel controls - Fully functional, can map any button to perform whatever function you would like. (The cruise control buttons are not able to be mapped however).
  • EasyConnect - a phone mirroring app - works with both iphone and android-based devices. Also allows you to play music over wifi.
  • Update: Apple CarPlay - possible through the purchase of this USB dongle.
System Specs:
  • 1 GB of DDR-3 RAM
  • 16 gigabytes of ROM storage
  • SD slot
  • 2 USB ports
  • CPU: A9, Quad Core 1.6GHz frequency
  • Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600
I have had the unit installed for over a week. Overall I am very happy with it so far. It is a major upgrade from the LX head unit. Music quality is at least equal to that of the OEM headunit, however I am only using the stock speakers. I am not sure how well it would handle an AMP and aftermarket speakers. It does come with the connectors to hook up that equipment however. An equalizer is included and does a decent job, but there are plenty of other ones that on the play store.

I made a video showcasing everything that I could think of. I am not an audiophile, or a master reviewer for head units / sound systems so take it for what it's worth. I made the video by request to show what you can do with this head unit.

I am working on an installation video next. The install was relatively easy and took a little over an hour for me, but could easily be done in less time. The unit is basically plug and play, with the exception of having to connect 2 wires which are clearly labeled.

If you are interested in the head unit or have any questions let me know.

IMG_3622.JPG IMG_3623.JPG IMG_3625.JPG IMG_3626.JPG IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3617.JPG

Link to head unit.

-----UPDATE-----

CarPlay / Android Auto is now able to be used on this head unit. You just have to purchase this dongle. Works like a champ!

Link to latest firmware for ZBox dongle

See this video on how to update ZBox firmware.

-----UPDATE 2 ----

Video showing how to use Apple CarPlay with this headunit (ZBox):
Does it handle the maintenance settings?
Sponsored