9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

1. arbies

arbies Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Sedan EX-L CVT
    I take back what I said. Wireless carplay has been working flawlessly for me since yesterday. I'm not sure why it wasn't working before. As soon as I turn on the car, it automatically launches Zlink, and then a few seconds later shows "Connecting", then a few seconds later carplay is up and running.

2. C10MaX

C10MaX Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic LX
    Got it! Where can I download the zlink app?

3. arbies

arbies Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Car(s):
    Zlink was pre-installed on my Dasaita PX6 head unit. Also, it may be a coincidence, but if the last thing I use before turning off the car is the Zlink app (with wireless Carplay), then the next time I turn on the car, Zlink automatically launches and wireless Carplay connects fine. However, yesterday I was playing around with the FM radio app last before I turned off the car. The next time I turned on the car, Zlink did not auto-launch, and when I manually launched Zlink, it wouldn't connect to wireless Carplay.

Then I turned off the car (while Zlink was open), turned it back on, it auto-launched Zlink and wireless Carplay connected fine.

4. SovietSnyper

SovietSnyper Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Hatch EX
    Anyone near CNY who would install one of these for me? :)

5. Gmgunter

Gmgunter Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic LX Sedan
  6. mrturtle8088

mrturtle8088 Senior Member

First Name:
    Ivan
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic
    It’s basically the same that Phoenix automotive sells. I ordered mine from Phoenix and it came in a dasaita box. In my opinion i love thw headunit much better than the stock touchscreen.

7. KYRGYZ

KYRGYZ Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic LX, 2018 Nissan Rogue Sport, 2014 Tesla Model S85
    Can someone please post the list of all GOOD head units that work without a single issue and truly plug and play?
    Tried to get a kit off amazon for my nissan rogue, while it was big and shiny, it was terribly slow, maps never worked, wifi was cutting off, bluetooth never connected etc, it was horrible.

8. long_meats

long_meats Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
  9. raulnor516

raulnor516 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
    What functionality have you gained and lost from this? Is the install relatively simple? I've got the color audio (2019 Sport hatchback model) and would really like to have android auto.

10. arbies

arbies Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Car(s):
    I've had this Dasaita PX6 installed for about two weeks (the one with built-in Android Auto/Carplay):
    https://amzn.to/2GkZUyC

I really wanted to like it, but I'm going to return it and go back to the stock head unit. My goal is to use the head unit without having to take my phone out of my pocket... either using native Android apps w/hotspot or wireless Carplay. Neither have worked reliably for me. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS:
    1. Big screen... this was one of the primary reasons why I bought it. There are, however, cons about the screen that I get into below.
    2. The sound quality is improved. Being able to adjust the EQ allows you to better tune the sound quality, and it is much better than the stock head unit. I was surprised how much additional bass I could squeeze out of the speakers (not like having a subwoofer in the car, but still, a decent improvement).
    3. Running native Android apps on the head unit is pretty sweet. I bought a hotspot for the car (which I'll be returning), so I could run Waze, Pandora and other apps on it. The apps launch quickly and run fairly well. There is also a con to the way that some of the native apps behave on this head unit, however.
    4. Phone calls sound great on both ends. I'm using the included external mic.
    5. When you enable sleep mode on this head unit (which is not the default, if I remember correctly), it boots up very quickly when you turn on the car.
    CONS:
    1. The screen doesn't seem as bright or as high resolution as the stock head unit screen. The biggest issue with the screen is it's extremely difficult to see it when you're wearing sunglasses unless you move your head to the right and face the screen straight on. And when you do move over to see the screen while wearing sunglasses, you can see deformities in the screen... it's hard to describe, but the screen looks uneven. I'm assuming this has something to do with having polarized sunglasses. It's so bad that I try not to wear sunglasses, even when it's sunny.
    2. Another con of the screen is the touch sensitivity, specifically when using the keyboard. I swear, every single time I try to type something on the keyboard, it either misinterprets a short press as a long press or misses my touch completely. Using the keyboard on this head unit really tests your patience. I haven't tried a third-party keyboard, but that may help. Otherwise, swiping around on the screen and touching the screen in apps usually works ok.
    3. Regarding the con about native Android apps on this head unit... most of the services that I use are with Google, including my Contacts. If you install Google Contacts on this head unit, it won't pull down your contacts. If you go to Android's Settings -> Accounts -> your Google account -> Contacts does not appear here, even after installing Google Contacts. On xdadevelopers site, I think there is a workaround to this, but I haven't tried it. The pre-installed phone app on this head unit is lacking. I was able to pair my phone with the head unit via bluetooth and sync contacts into the phone app, but the steps to call one of your contacts is not intuitive. Using native Android apps, I haven't found a way to make hands free calls. If you hit the voice button on the steering wheel to mute, and say "Hey, Google" to invoke Google Assistant, and then say "Call John Smith", it will not launch the built-in phone app. It doesn't do anything. I think there is also a lengthy workaround to this on xdadevelopers, but I haven't spent the energy to try it. Another app issue... I can't login to my Waze account. I have no issues logging into Waze on any other device I've used in the past, but this just refuses to do so.
    4. The built-in wireless Apple Carplay usually connects, and sometimes doesn't. When it doesn't, it's a pain to troubleshoot to get it connected again. This relies on a pre-installed Zlink app to use Android Auto & Apple Carplay. Every once in a while, that app would not auto-launch when I turned on the car, and sometimes when it did, it wouldn't connect to wireless Carplay on my phone. Most of the times, however, it did work.
    5. Speaking of Carplay, I haven't found a way to map the voice button on the steering to invoke Siri. Same with Android Auto. The voice button on the steering wheel just does a mute/unmute. When the audio is muted, they want you to say "Hey, Siri" or "Hey, Google" to invoke those assistants. I confirmed with support that there's no way to override this.
    6. GPS sometimes has an issue locking on. I have the GPS module routed to the windshield. Most of the time, GPS works great, but the past two days when I left work, Waze couldn't lock on to GPS until about 3 minutes later.
    7. The side lanewatch camera works, however, it has its quirks: 1) The lanewatch button on the turn signal stalk behaves differently... you have to hold down that button to view the camera; as soon as you let go, it stops the video. 2) There is a delay to show the video. It's not a huge delay, but it's noticeable. In fact, if you tap (but not engage) the turn signal stalk to do the quick 3-turn-signal-blinks, it temporarily shows a black screen and no video because of the delay. 3) When your right turn signal is on (not a tap of the stalk, but engaged), and it's showing the lanewatch video, you cannot disable the video by pressing the lanewatch button like you can with the stock head unit.
    8. Climate control has a weird quirk: periodically, the climate control info will pop up at the bottom of the screen (and then disappear 1 or 2 seconds later), even when I'm not adjusting any settings. I think there's a bug where if it reaches the set temp, then it will show the climate control info... or something like that. Haven't quite figure out why it randomly pops up.

raulnor516 thanked this.
  11. _HatchED_

_HatchED_ Senior Member

First Name:
    Eddie
    Car(s):
    2019 hatchback sport 6mt
    If anyone is having issues trying to connect their Dasaita unit to the Ktuner, try "enable bt pin code advanced". Seems to be working perfectly for me.

20200124_160150.jpg

mrturtle8088, long_meats and raulnor516 thanked this.
  12. n9yty

n9yty Senior Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
    I soooo want one of these to get the point where they can be recommended without reservation. :) But also one other feature missing from all of them is HD-radio.

13. long_meats

long_meats Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
    I can only speak for my base model 2017 LX Coupe, but it had a color audio head unit as well.

I have gained a much larger and functional touch screen, 2 extra USB Ports, a subwoofer input, the ability to install various apps/software (like a customizable launcher, Waze, OBII reader, a music sensing visualizer, SoundCloud, etc) along with internet connectivity, a better equalizer, GPS functioning, and animations that flash on the screen when sensors detect the doors are opened. Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head.

As for functionality that I have lost? Absolutely nothing at all that I can think of (well, the stock head unit does have a really garbage non-customizable equalizer setting that restricts the bass output progressively at higher volumes and made my sound system sound like complete crap, so I can't say I miss that at all).

The install was really simple, just get some trim panel removal tools and pull off the L-looking things on both sides of the head unit and you can unscrew/unplug everything from there and swap them out. You can also easily wire the GPS thing and mic if you want.

Here's the installation instructions I used:

raulnor516 thanked this.
  14. Gmgunter

Gmgunter Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic LX Sedan
    Did you get the daisata model? If so which one and from where? Also did you lose the ability to track oil life ? If so can you still reset your maintenance reminder when it comes up? Sorry there are so many questions, have been looking for a while but can’t find concrete answers for some questions. Thanks.

15. long_meats

long_meats Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
    This is the model I got about a year and a half ago:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dasaita-Andr...ead+unit&qid=1579981335&sr=8-1#productDetails

My original LX head unit did not have any oil-life related display to begin with (to the best of my memory at least), the Maintenance Minder and oil gauge is on the same display where the speedometer is when you press that long thin button. I think it might be different for higher trims. Is the head unit the only way you can check the Maintenance Minder and oil gauge info?