9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

btonetbone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
No luck on resetting network. Giving up on FlashPro connecting to this unit.
Have you looked into updating to Android 8.0? There are updates available for most of these stereos on the XDA forums.
Sponsored

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Have you looked into updating to Android 8.0? There are updates available for most of these stereos on the XDA forums.
Frankly, I've had a hard time identifying this unit. It shows up as an Allwinner T3 in the Google Store.

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
One thing I lost when I factory wiped the system is the app that allows you to change the panel light colors through an RGB wheel. I can't find the APK on the system and my online searches have been fruitless.

akaarg9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had purchased the phoenix unit and tried installing it, but at the moment have no sound. I contacted the company, they said i have to bypass the OEM amp? Has anyone had this issue? If so, how do i do that and are there any alternatives?

Gaelic Vyk

First Name
Ander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Don't know about OP, but I've had zero problems with mine since I installed it the beginning of December, 6 months ago. Phone and OBD2 bluetooth work fine, Torque works. I installed the CarWebGuru launcher and PowerAmp, and it's been solid.

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@OP how is this u it performing 6 months later? Any issues??
Well, I have some catching up to do in this thread, but I sold my LX civic last week to upgrade to an Si. However during the past 6 months I did have an incredible experience with the Phoenix HU.

I have owned both versions of this head unit from Phoenix and they have worked wonderfully. The first version that I had is the one that I posted the review video on in the beginning of this thread. I later upgraded to the 32gb RAM / Android 6.0 version so that I could have sleep mode (faster boot time). I think that the head unit froze 2 times in the last 6 months and it was on startup, all I had to do was turn the car off and back on. My final impressions on these HU's is that it is 100% worth the cost for a base model civic HU replacement. However, I am hesitant to recommend installing this into any trim level that has the upgraded HU as there is too much functionality already tied into it and more things that could go wrong. With the base model civic radio (LX/ hatch sport) there really isn't anything that an aftermarket HU can break since it basically just plays music and shows the backup camera footage. Both of these HU's increased the audio quality significantly from the base model head unit with the built in equalizers. I switched back to the base head unit a few weeks before selling my LX and the drop in audio quality was obvious after using the Phoenix HU for 6 months.

I made several road trips (500+ miles) in my LX after buying these head units and being able to use Apple CarPlay and have navigation made driving experience much better. The other awesome thing with these head units was using the PowerAmp app from Google Playstore which automatically organizes music files on a flash drive / external hard drive that is plugged into the usb port (automatically downloads album art, organizes by title/artist/album etc). Now that I own an Si and am experiencing honda's version of an infotainment system, I am realizing that the Phoenix HU's are way ahead of what honda considers a good HU. I am actually considering risking it and just installing the Phoenix HU into my Si just to see if everything works as intended so that I can have the full android experience and faster processor instead of a dumbed down version of android that takes 3 seconds to respond when you touch the screen. The honda infotainment system is lacking in many respects. The audio quality is ok, but there is no way to organize music files that are on an external hard drive and the overall system is really slow compared to the phoenix HU.

If you have an LX/hatch sport I highly recommend the Phoenix android head unit. Maybe I was just lucky, but I had a great experience with it.

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Glad to hear you had a good experience with your head units. The fact you are considering upgrading your Si after saying you are hesitant recommending others with up-model units doing so says a lot for these.

As for my HU, I am glad to report I finally got the FlashPro working with mine. The fix was making the passcode on the HU the same as the FlashPro. Once I did that, it pairs just like you'd expect it to. So I no longer have any "major" issues.

I still have minor issues. The biggest is the climate control app in AUTO mode. That thing is SO annoying. It comes up whenever the fan adjusts itself. The reason it sucks besides blocking the screen with useless information, is it stops certain apps like video playback. It's annoying to dismiss it and then having to hit play again. If I'm streaming video, the pausing can cause buffering issues. Just today, I found out it kills Hondata - HARD! It causes the FlashPro to disconnect, so I have to hit the lightning bolt to pair again.

Overall, very happy with purchase. People I've shown are impressed with it and surprised it's not factory and/or expensive.

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Hi all,

I consider replacing the original HU too due to low audio quality. The only concern I have with the aftermarket ones is: do I still have access to a vehicle settings? (things like oil maintenance reset, tires pressure calibration and all others)

thank you.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I finally got my RMA from Phoenix Android so I'm gonna send it back and get a replacement. Maybe that one will last longer.

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
So I finally got my RMA from Phoenix Android so I'm gonna send it back and get a replacement. Maybe that one will last longer.
I hope your next one and mine stand the test of time. *Knocks on wood.

elefas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 4dr MY2017
Country flag
Hi everybody, this is my first post on civicx, you guys are a great community!
I am from Greece, and I own a civic 1.5T sedan with the basic infotainment system (color audio system). Recently I found a greek website (https://navismedia.gr/honda-civic-car-multimedia/) which offers an android headunit for our cars.
It's specs are:
  • 1GB RAM
  • Intel Atom 1.6 quadcore
  • 16GB storage
  • 8" inch
  • 1024x600 screen resolution
Screenshots:
Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) Honda-Civic-Navismedia-Multimedia-Android-6-mi

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) car-multimedia-golf6-android-2-mi

Its rather expensive for the old specs 695 euros, and I am wondering if somebody here can identify which headunit model it is (e.g. dasaita, joying etc) because it is obviously a chinese android unit rebranded.

Many thanks!

EDIT:
Found it! http://www.cardvdstereos.com/car-dvd-player-for-honda-series-t10-9052a

Last edited:

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Well it's an European company. I feel a bit better about it!