6MT 1st-2nd gear feels clunky

Aiirik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback sport WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sooo ever since i got the car it feels like going from 1st to 2nd gear, it feels not so smooth in the actual gear box as I'm shifting. not the clutch or anything. sometimes it'll do it and sometimes it wont. but its annoying. its almost like it's not aligned properly. i tried shifting and pulling harder to the left, pulling straight down, fast,slow you name it. I installed boomba short shift in hopes that it would fix it. made shifting a lot better all together... but still having the same issue. also added a weighted shift knob (skunk2) and didnt fix.

it seems to only be 1->2 everything else is perfect. just want to see if this is happening to anyone else and if not, if i take my car to Honda will they complain because i have boomba's short shift and blame that??

thanks!
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No issues here. I have the Sirimoto short shifter, it was fine before and after installation. If you do need to take the car in I'd definitely go ahead and remove that short shift adapter while they are diagnosing it, otherwise they will very likely blame it and possibly be unwilling to spend any further time on it.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Mine doesn't shift smooth either when shifted fast. All I do is I take half second pause in between the shifts from first to second. Also, first gear is not always smooth...I think it's just a matter of getting used to it and slightly adjusting driving habits

jlyr3mixed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit Sport, 2017 Honda Civic EXT 6MT sedan, 2006 Mazda Miata
Country flag
Same experience here. also slightly into 3rd but not as noticable

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yup, i agree with all you guys, for me its only smooth if i'm flooring it or driving more aggressively.

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Similar experience when going into 2nd gear, it feels a little clunky a lot of the time.

Also been having an issue with the shifter kind of sticking when I am going from 2nd to neutral. It kind of sticks near the top of 2nd. I have the clutch all the way depressed so I am not sure why this is happening. Never felt that on my 2004 MT.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My shifter improved a lot over time, and I also learned better the exact way to select gears without scratching along the gates. At 10000km became perfect:)

Gsnail13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Mine does this too, I find it happens more when I shift from 1st to 2nd with lower RPM's. But sometimes it doesn't even want to go into 2nd, like it's locked out or something. I had the same issue with my 9th gen too, with the clunkyness at least.

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Mine does this too, I find it happens more when I shift from 1st to 2nd with lower RPM's. But sometimes it doesn't even want to go into 2nd, like it's locked out or something. I had the same issue with my 9th gen too, with the clunkyness at least.
I haven't had that happen, but like I mentioned mine will stick at the top of 2nd gear - never when going to 3rd, only when popping into neutral to coast to a stop or slow down. Your issue sounds way more frustrating.

I wonder if this is a widespread issue with 2nd gear or we just got unlucky. Obviously not happening to everyone but enough people chiming in to make me wonder.

Gsnail13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I haven't had that happen, but like I mentioned mine will stick at the top of 2nd gear - never when going to 3rd, only when popping into neutral to coast to a stop or slow down. Your issue sounds way more frustrating.

I wonder if this is a widespread issue with 2nd gear or we just got unlucky. Obviously not happening to everyone but enough people chiming in to make me wonder.
When you say yours sticks can you move it left and right while it's stuck? Because mine has done that, I can't seem to replicate it enough to figure out what's going on

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
When you say yours sticks can you move it left and right while it's stuck? Because mine has done that, I can't seem to replicate it enough to figure out what's going on
No I can't move it left or right. I push the clutch in, move it from 2nd up to neutral, and it sticks just before full neutral. It doesn't want to go over to the middle like it normally would until I push it up further.

Had the car since May and only noticed this about a month ago. Doesn't happen every time. Before and on my older civic, this never happened. I don't think my habits changed so I am assuming it's not a lazy shift on my part. Still think it should pop into neutral with little effort.

Gsnail13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
No I can't move it left or right. I push the clutch in, move it from 2nd up to neutral, and it sticks just before full neutral. It doesn't want to go over to the middle like it normally would until I push it up further.

Had the car since May and only noticed this about a month ago. Doesn't happen every time. Before and on my older civic, this never happened. I don't think my habits changed so I am assuming it's not a lazy shift on my part. Still think it should pop into neutral with little effort.
That happens to me too, or it has happened I should say, I think it's only happened twice so far. But the one time it happened it was coming out of 2nd gear into neutral as well. I couldn't move it at all, without some force. I feel the same way, I had my 9th gen si for almost 6 years and it had it's quirks with the shifter but not like this and definitely not this early, I haven't even hit 600 miles yet lol. I'm hoping maybe it'll loosen up some with time? But if not the next time I'm at my dealer I'm going to mention this.
Sponsored