5W-20

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
I'd guess they recommended OW- oil just to eke out a bit more mpg while the coolant is cool and not at normal operating temperature.

For a company which recommends 87 fuel it appears a bit unseemly that they also recommend expensive synthetic oil by recommending OW-20. Fortunately many oil vendors offer $2+ rebates per quart for their synthetic products.
Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
The lower number ( OW- ) of the oil weight has everything to do with bearing clearances and cold startup, when wear is disproportionally greater. Going to a higher ( e.g. 5W- ) will result in less oil getting to the bearings during this critical time, and is just plain nuts.
lmao++

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I'd guess they recommended OW- oil just to eke out a bit more mpg while the coolant is cool and not at normal operating temperature.

For a company which recommends 87 fuel it appears a bit unseemly that they also recommend expensive synthetic oil by recommending OW-20. Fortunately many oil vendors offer $2+ rebates per quart for their synthetic products.
Is fully synthetic oil more expensive? I think it is cheaper than conventional. In my favorite store major brand conventional oils are priced at about $18 per 5 quarts, while fully synthetic 0W20 can be had for $22. I have been changing the synthetic oil in my CR-V about every 10k miles, but if I used conventional I would not risk going over 5k. So synthetic is cheaper for me plus less effort.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag

OW is about getting enough oil to the bearings, right after startup when cold, during the critical warm-up time, when wear is disproportionately greater. It has nothing to do with mpg.

Recommended fuel is 87 OR GREATER.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
OW is about getting enough oil to the bearings, right after startup when cold, during the critical warm-up time, when wear is disproportionately greater. It has nothing to do with mpg.

Get a life...:thumbsdown:

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is fully synthetic oil more expensive? I think it is cheaper than conventional. In my favorite store major brand conventional oils are priced at about $18 per 5 quarts, while fully synthetic 0W20 can be had for $22. I have been changing the synthetic oil in my CR-V about every 10k miles, but if I used conventional I would not risk going over 5k. So synthetic is cheaper for me plus less effort.
No, full synthetic it not cheaper...this forum is filled with bozos now who know nothing about life...let alone cars!

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag

okay enough feeding the trolls with my own passive trolling- it just goes out the window with trolls on this board. no 0w- and 5w have same consistency and thickness at 70 degrees F close enough that your point is moot.

No, full synthetic it not cheaper...this forum is filled with bozos now who know nothing about life...let alone cars!
This++

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
okay enough feeding the trolls with my own passive trolling- it just goes out the window with trolls on this board. no 0w- and 5w have same consistency and thickness at 70 degrees F close enough that your point is moot.

This++
But bearing tolerances brahhhhh!

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag

I think there is something correct in both of these posts and room for both to be correct. I think mpg would be higher, depending how it is measured, with 0W oil and also it is true that oil will flow to the journal bearings more readily if the viscosity is low. I don't think we can know 100% what motivated the engineers at Honda to make the choice and for all we know it could be some totally different reason.

I am disappointed to see the personal attacks and ridicule aimed at members on this site. That does not help anything at all.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
"No, full synthetic it not cheaper...this forum is filled with bozos now who know nothing about life...let alone cars!"

No doubt this is the "I feel your pain" forum.

Lots of hand-holding here.

If something's not right about your car, take it to the dealer and get it fixed.

The Civic is a cheap economy car. It's not supposed to be perfect.

If there's a problem, get it fixed.

Telling the crowd all about it won't make it go away.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
"No, full synthetic it not cheaper...this forum is filled with bozos now who know nothing about life...let alone cars!"

No doubt this is the "I feel your pain" forum.

Lots of hand-holding here.

If something's not right about your car, take it to the dealer and get it fixed.

The Civic is a cheap economy car. It's not supposed to be perfect.

If there's a problem, get it fixed.

Telling the crowd all about it won't make it go away.
Before you talk, read the previous posts and what they have to offer. That guys a troll and hence its why I called him a moron.

Here comes the hate train :popcorn: