4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen 4DBox's OEM wheel mod- 6 blackout treatments civic left side
edit: 4/17/17 The finished wheels

Those of us with EX-Ts were given less than awesome factory wheels. Many of you immediately go out and purchase new wheels because, like me, you find the factory wheels off-putting. I will probably replace the wheels in time but in the meantime I've wanted to come up with a way to improve the stock wheels.
I've studied these wheels and here's what I concluded: there are TWO designs-- feet and spokes-- and one "whoosh" element within the over arching design resulting in a chaotic presentation to the eye. I get that Honda was trying to inject a dynamic sense of movement, but there is just too much going on. Using my PC I deconstructed the two designs by blacking out various elements, resulting in simpler and predominately black designs with silver accents. My personal preference is black wheels but in this case ALL black with these wheels does not present the same illusion, at least with a silver car like mine.

I have completed one wheel on my car using black carbon look vinyl- I prefer the 5 Feet design over the others. I made templates and cut 15 pieces of vinyl to cover the inner V and the rim slices. Notice that this design makes the wheel look substantially larger and deeper (less disk-like) than the OEM--more like an 18" wheel. You could also Plastidip or paint these areas of your wheels, but I prefer vinyl as it can be removed easily down the road if necessary. And the best part: total cost for makeover= $10 for vinyl. Satisfaction for me: priceless.

Without further ado I present 5 renders of my designs plus some pics of my car in progress.

Honda Civic 10th gen 4DBox's OEM wheel mod- 6 blackout treatments comparison
Honda Civic 10th gen 4DBox's OEM wheel mod- 6 blackout treatments upload_2017-4-12_14-33-57

Honda Civic 10th gen 4DBox's OEM wheel mod- 6 blackout treatments upload_2017-4-12_14-36-43

Last edited:

The_Asian

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T
Country flag
This was 3 years ago but how well did they hold up? Also do you remember which vinyl wrap you used, it looks super good

XgenTheo

First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
Yes, they look very nice. I also wonder how they are holding up. Saw on eBay saying they should last about 5+ years.

OP
OP
4DBox

4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
Yes, they look very nice. I also wonder how they are holding up. Saw on eBay saying they should last about 5+ years.
Hey guys, they have held up very well. I went with a total blackout wheel in the end. There are tiny bits of vinyl missing here and there and a few edges have peeled slightly,
Honda Civic 10th gen 4DBox's OEM wheel mod- 6 blackout treatments 1597440999181

but they are 99% intact 3 years later. I used the cheapest Amazon vinyl, about 6 bucks a sheet.
Sponsored