3D Printed Cargo Hook

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Super easy to install only if you have a river nut tool. It also only holds about 6.5 pounds, this should easily accept more. It's not as elegant but it's unique and tool-less.
This is completely not true. I and several others have easily and successfully installed this in the correct location without the tool. There are big square holes next to where the bolt goes so you can easily reach in behind there and put on the washer and nut. People with bigger hands have reported they were able to get a wrench back there for the install (I just used my fingers - it tightened on its own with the lock washer - as designed so I didn't need to continue to hold it down from the top. You don't need the riveter tool at all; just throw the rivet thing away and use the washers and nuts.

I was surprised at the low poundage it said it held, so I have tested mine with triple the weight (just over 18 pounds hanging in bags (truly weighed to be sure of the weight) and it held fine for a drive that had several stops, starts, and corners. The hook showed no sag at this weight.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
This is completely not true. I and several others have easily and successfully installed this in the correct location without the tool. There are big square holes next to where the bolt goes so you can easily reach in behind there and put on the washer and nut. People with bigger hands have reported they were able to get a wrench back there for the install (I just used my fingers - it tightened on its own with the lock washer - as designed so I didn't need to continue to hold it down from the top. You don't need the riveter tool at all; just throw the rivet thing away and use the washers and nuts.

I was surprised at the low poundage it said it held, so I have tested mine with triple the weight (just over 18 pounds hanging in bags (truly weighed to be sure of the weight) and it held fine for a drive that had several stops, starts, and corners. The hook showed no sag at this weight.
It installs OK without the rivet tool, but the bolt is too small for the opening so the hook has wiggle room and I didn't like that and I also didn't want to buy a tool just for this. My hook can also be used in conjunction with the Honda cargo hooks for those big trips to the store.

clv1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
How many hooks can you make with a 1lb spool?

OP
OP

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
How many hooks can you make with a 1lb spool?
If I were to buy a spool I don't know how many I could print. There are different variables that can affect the outcome, mainly wasted material due to failed prints, but that doesn't happen often.

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Sweet!! I was actually gonna try and model a design based on the OEM hooks but ill try yours out tonight and see how they come out thanks!

OP
OP

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Sweet!! I was actually gonna try and model a design based on the OEM hooks but ill try yours out tonight and see how they come out thanks!

I still need to make one last change to the final design, unless you have filament to spare I might hold off until the weekend.

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I still need to make one last change to the final design, unless you have filament to spare I might hold off until the weekend.
Ah no worries I have about 15 rolls of filament. I just did a quick print to see how the fitment is but ill check in the morning. I did a test at .3mm Layer height and 30% infill for a quicker print but i think it came out great and really sturdy considering its only 30% infill! Plus it only took 2 hours to print.
Honda Civic 10th gen 3D Printed Cargo Hook FullSizeRender

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It fits really well, I had PLA loaded up so I don't expect it to last too long in this Arizona heat but I'll print your next one in ABS and see how it is.
Honda Civic 10th gen 3D Printed Cargo Hook ima

OP
OP

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It fits really well, I had PLA loaded up so I don't expect it to last too long in this Arizona heat but I'll print your next one in ABS and see how it is.
image.jpeg
Looks great! I need to get out my caliper and get an accurate measurement of the width. Originally I measured it at 27mm to compensate for the rounded corners. Once I figured out how to round the corners 27mm was just a tad too small and the handle had more movement than I would like it to. It's a small change but it should make a noticeable difference.

OP
OP

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
@zshortyz
I've uploaded a new version that comes in at 29.8mm to fit the opening that I measured at 29.86. Want to print it out and tell me how well it fits? If you have a low shrinkage filament that would be best.

OP
OP

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It's been a couple of years but I've updated the design to be less wasteful and install easier after a friend asked for a set

Honda Civic 10th gen 3D Printed Cargo Hook Capture.PNG

gr8-wrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 & 2013 Civics
Country flag
Thanks for posting the design on Thingiverse. Fits perfectly! I used PLA as that's all I have at the moment so we'll see if it stands up to the summer heat. :)

Honda Civic 10th gen 3D Printed Cargo Hook IMG_3906.JPG
Sponsored