amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It's your money. It's your time. It is a free country. There are worse things, I mean we could elect a moron, a laughing stock and a clown for president. Oh, wait...
Sponsored

SHAYN3R

First Name
SHAYNE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I don't think these motors are weak by any means, I think it's the low end torque hurting things.

If you follow MAPerformance on YouTube they've been testing the stock motor. They say it's pretty stout and have put around 40psi at times through the stock motor and run mid 30s consistently. They've done hundreds of drag passes and countless dyno pulls with 400-500hp. I think people are still trying to find out how to put the power through these motors safely. Just food for thought.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think these motors are weak by any means, I think it's the low end torque hurting things.
You're right... but if you look at any of the tunes... the torque is generally massive. You're not far off of 300 ft-lbs with a stock turbo with some of the reflashes. Near 400 ft-lbs with a W1 turbo and ethanol. Any ethanol tune is pretty well sky-high on torque. All with a 1.5L. Diesel trucks don't have displacement to torque ratios like this... and their engines are suited to high torque. I cannot think of many gasoline engines off-hand that are being asked to do what ours are regarding their torque output... though much of it is from having a tiny turbo able to flow so much at low RPMs. As I've understood... you can't make as much torque for a proportionally greater amount of flow at a higher RPM because your piston is moving so much faster... the pressure is acting on that piston is a shorter amount of time. I don't know that much about our valvetrain... the lack of the ability to rev the car out is always going to hold us back compared to the older K-cars once they added a turbocharger... to say nothing of their added displacement which gave them an immediate advantage once you went FI. I think the CTRs were having valve float by 7300 or so... though that's still a totally different engine and is pretty not-applicable, but there was way less headroom to work with than some of the older NA K-engines. I'd love to see some parts to safety let these little guys push past 7000 RPM. I think that's key to making big power numbers still. I'd call 400-500 hp absolutely massive. I always am kind of grading our engine on a curve based on it's tiny displacement.

40# sounds awful though... other than a tech demo. It'd suck to have to cool the intake charge that has been pressed up that high. :flame:

SHAYN3R

First Name
SHAYNE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I totally agree with everything you've said. The numbers being produced from this 1.5 motor are already astounding. Even to be able to push 250-300 to the wheels is quite the feat. That power coupled with the weight of this vehicle should be more than enough power for 99% of us.

Even with a tsp stage 1 tune I've seen these cars run some pretty respectable cars with bolt-ons of their own (WRX, focus st's, etc.) and still manage to pull on them. It is by no means the fastest but it'll definitely catch many vehicles off guard.

Me personally, I'm running the two step performance stage 1 tune, prl intake, d2 springs, and lightweight (18lb) wheels, and this car moves out for a daily driver. What more could you ask for? It would probably give my old stage 2 sti a run for its money from a roll.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're right... but if you look at any of the tunes... the torque is generally massive. You're not far off of 300 ft-lbs with a stock turbo with some of the reflashes. Near 400 ft-lbs with a W1 turbo and ethanol. Any ethanol tune is pretty well sky-high on torque. All with a 1.5L. Diesel trucks don't have displacement to torque ratios like this... and their engines are suited to high torque. I cannot think of many gasoline engines off-hand that are being asked to do what ours are regarding their torque output... though much of it is from having a tiny turbo able to flow so much at low RPMs. As I've understood... you can't make as much torque for a proportionally greater amount of flow at a higher RPM because your piston is moving so much faster... the pressure is acting on that piston is a shorter amount of time. I don't know that much about our valvetrain... the lack of the ability to rev the car out is always going to hold us back compared to the older K-cars once they added a turbocharger... to say nothing of their added displacement which gave them an immediate advantage once you went FI. I think the CTRs were having valve float by 7300 or so... though that's still a totally different engine and is pretty not-applicable, but there was way less headroom to work with than some of the older NA K-engines. I'd love to see some parts to safety let these little guys push past 7000 RPM. I think that's key to making big power numbers still. I'd call 400-500 hp absolutely massive. I always am kind of grading our engine on a curve based on it's tiny displacement.

40# sounds awful though... other than a tech demo. It'd suck to have to cool the intake charge that has been pressed up that high. :flame:
If you look at Emans 360 WHP build, the one thing to notice is that he pushed mid-range power to come on between 4000 rpm and 7000 rpm. You just cannot have that much HP to the wheels for something this light, fwd, and keep the tires more than a day and not torque steer down a cliff if the power was in the lower range. If you look at MAPerformance's 500 whp build, I bet they did the same thing...pushed power further up the rpm range so the wheels would actually get traction.

Anyway, unless you are just an all out adventurer/hobbyist with a lot of money (and time) to spare, it makes no sense to me to buy this car brand spanking new, pull the engine out and change out the components so it can handle the additional torque and HP. NONE. Buying a used one down the line and playing around with it, that makes sense to me. But that's just me. I've said this before, God bless those who do it

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyway, unless you are just an all out adventurer/hobbyist with a lot of money (and time) to spare, it makes no sense to me to buy this car brand spanking new, pull the engine out and change out the components so it can handle the additional torque and HP. NONE. Buying a used one down the line and playing around with it, that makes sense to me. But that's just me. I've said this before, God bless those who do it
You said it... and it's probably something I've failed to express myself. If it's a person's goal to mod for the love of modding… then who am I to tell them they're wasting their money? If that makes them happy then, well... money bought happiness.

If the idea is, "I want a 360 WHP Civic. A Civic is the only car I want. I haven't bought one yet. Is buying a brand new Si the best Civic to do this with? I'm going all-in as soon as I get it to make it get there and want it to stay as good and reliable of a car as it can be while being effective at putting said power to the ground and retaining as much value as possible for what I put in it."

...then my answer would be CTR. If it doesn't have to be Civic... and they don't want to pay CTR money, then there's a *lot* of other cars I'd pick over a new Si. When these cars are $5k-10k... still have a lot of life left and the junkyards are full of parts... I'd feel very differently. Then again... I'm cheap.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Typically you require a sizeable turbo as well, which contributes to the higher RPM power delivery. With the Subaru EJ engines, you'd see guys making huge power on built blocks running huge turbos, but it took so long to get that turbo spinning that you lost any low RPM driveability. Track monster? Probably! Good daily? Probably not. Good opinion piece about this sort of thing: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393580

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in the process of purchasing an Si. I would like to eventually gather parts(Flex, 27Won Turbo, clutch, etc) to see 340-350 to the wheels. Would this be a reasonable number on stock internals? Most likely tuned through the highly recommended IMW. I don't plan on any digs. Mostly canyons/rolls. Would like to hear from anyone running near or at this power range as well. Lemme know

You heard from everyone but the people that are pushing these numbers.
There are people here and on instagram in that realm your talking about. Reach out with a PM/DM.
You'll just get all the don't do it here and barely any answers and they make good points but if you made this thread looking for insight into getting into that power range its better asking directly.

for all the buy a CTR crowd.
if the CTR was a bit more subdued in its styling. Its so raceboy looking. Everyone has their cup of tea.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Typically you require a sizeable turbo as well, which contributes to the higher RPM power delivery. With the Subaru EJ engines, you'd see guys making huge power on built blocks running huge turbos, but it took so long to get that turbo spinning that you lost any low RPM driveability. Track monster? Probably! Good daily? Probably not. Good opinion piece about this sort of thing: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393580
That's exactly my point with this particular platform and engine. To achieve those numbers you need a bigger turbo, ethanol etc. You also need to move the power higher into the rpm range, and you ARE going to get lag from the bigger turbo. I bet if you drive Emans build, it's probably fun on the track, fun in the canyons, but terrible as a daily driver as it will struggle off the line

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You heard from everyone but the people that are pushing these numbers.
There are people here and on instagram in that realm your talking about. Reach out with a PM/DM.
You'll just get all the don't do it here and barely any answers and they make good points but if you made this thread looking for insight into getting into that power range its better asking directly.

for all the buy a CTR crowd.
if the CTR was a bit more subdued in its styling. Its so raceboy looking. Everyone has their cup of tea.
I agree. @kshawn and @JDMpo0kie are two people who did something close to what you are looking for. They did not achieve the 350 whp, but Kshawn probably came close to 300

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For me, I think it's bragging rights. a TSP Stage 1 tune = 237whp / 281tq out of a 1.5L? That's not accounting if you have additional supporting mods for it. Personally I think that's pretty fuckin nuts given the fact that we're now making more whp and wtq than a stock WRX that has a 2.0L.

Like @charleswrivers stated, I enjoy to mod, but I'm in no hurry to throw big money into the car and am doing it at a slow pace. I've been on stage 1 here in so cal while it's been 90+ in the valley and was impressed. Last night was the first time it's been around 55-60F in the canyons and I can definitely feel the difference with the cooler air and really made me smile. (the roads I usually run keep me within 3rd and 4th into the occasional straights which I feel is perfect)

The sensation of having this new found power is amazing, but will eventually fade as you get use to the changes and yearn for more (inb4 stage 2 by the end of November). It's nice knowing that we're able to accomplish respectable power out of a 1.5L while still being economical if you need it to be, which I think is unheard of as you go higher displacement within the same power figures or more.

But what do I know? It's just a civic anyway. ;)

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I agree. @kshawn and @JDMpo0kie are two people who did something close to what you are looking for. They did not achieve the 350 whp, but Kshawn probably came close to 300
I dynod at 355hp without meth and at 28psi. I was definitely making more during the failure, but hadn't had a chance to re-dyno.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I dynod at 355hp without meth and at 28psi. I was definitely making more during the failure, but hadn't had a chance to re-dyno.
Thanks for the correction, yes now I remember the graph

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I will say. There are others abusing it more then I. It just gets risky over the 350 mark.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
Did you rebuild the 1.5? That's impressive out of such a small motor. In a car that light you'd be able to surprise a lot of people.
Sponsored