35 miles on new 2019?

niknatar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 1999 Mazda Miata
Country flag
So I've found a dealership selling a 2019 straight up at MSRP and have placed a deposit on the car as the paperwork gets sorted out. However, the odometer shows 35 miles on the car, which seems high to me for a brand new car. I'm going to ask the dealership how the miles were put on the car, but I'll have no way of knowing if they're being truthful or not. In a worst case scenario (someone test drove the car and was hard on it), is this enough miles to be cause for any concern?

UPDATE:
So I just heard back from the dealership--apparently the car was driven from a major auto show in the city back to the dealership by the general sales manager. The mileage actually lines up pretty precisely with that explanation.

I'm going to try and find out if it was purely on display, or if people were allowed into/out of it. I feel like the dealership should have disclosed this right off the bat, so I'm leaning against purchasing the car at this point.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I was actually surprised my friend was able to test drive a brand new one nearby. His family had purchased 5 cars from them in the past so they let him drive the type-R.
Personally, I'm OCD about the break-in period so I'd probably pass on one with 35 miles. Most of the ones I've seen have 5-8 miles.

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Maybe it was a dealer trade. When I bought my ITR it had 360 miles on it, it was a dealer trade from Florida. Drove the hell out of that car for many years - no problem.

If it were me, I wouldn't care. The car has a warranty, after all.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
That's nothing the car is fine. If you smell melting maybe not but it wouldn't kill the car instantly for some high revs out the gate.

OP
OP

niknatar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 1999 Mazda Miata
Country flag
I was actually surprised my friend was able to test drive a brand new one nearby. His family had purchased 5 cars from them in the past so they let him drive the type-R.
Personally, I'm OCD about the break-in period so I'd probably pass on one with 35 miles. Most of the ones I've seen have 5-8 miles.
Is there anything that could be done in such a small amount of mileage that could effect break-in?

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Is there anything that could be done in such a small amount of mileage that could effect break-in?
My mind just thinks of the worst possible scenario...
30 miles of test driving. Who knows how many really high revs, pot holes hit, stalling out, riding the clutch, grind a gear, etc.

I'd just be a lot more comfortable knowing no one test drove it besides the standard 5-6 miles from the plant that they usually have on them.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Mine came with 25 BTW. Didn't really bother me. You can ask them why it has its mileage.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
OP apparenly is not comfortable with it, why bother, just shop around and find a better one. this car is definitely worth for the wait and efforts, make sure you r 100% happy b4 hanging over ur hard earned money. Good luck searching!

tomcxb

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Civic Type R, 2020 Pacific Pewter Honda Odyssey Elite, 2020 Tungsten Silver Toyota Supra 3.0
Country flag
Mine had 7 miles on it when I got it

I know most dealers don’t allow test drives but maybe this dealer does ? That or the dealership people took it for a spin

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
The dealer might have just let people test drive the one your looking at if the trans has no issues when you test drive it... they should let you test drive it if there is already 35 miles on it but like others have said it’s personal preference... they get shipped with 5 miles on them an a dealer technician is supposed to do a 2 mile drive for some reason... I have heard people get them with 5-10 miles on them like the other guys above have stated. 35 isn’t bad though if you really want it

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mine also had 7 miles on it

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My salesman ask for a ride in my GTR while the tech was getting ready to test drive it. I pulled out behind him with the salesman an blew my own type r’s doors off while the tech was driving it the two miles when we pulled back in the tech asked why I wanted the type r... I said for a beater lmao

Overeazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch *Sold*
Country flag
When I bought my car it had 60 miles on it because it was a dealer trade. It's not uncommon.
Sponsored