3000 miles, oil smells like gas

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
i have a new 2018 civic with 3000 miles and the oil already smells like gas. Granted MN has not had a pleasant winter so I’ve had to remote start more often lately, but I’m a bit concerned as to how to prevent it and if damage is being caused.

My oil life also shows 70% so I’m also nervous the dealership won’t be willing to change at 5000 miles. Does anyone have advice? Is this an issue and is there a way to stop it or am I over reacting?
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
i have a new 2018 civic with 3000 miles and the oil already smells like gas. Granted MN has not had a pleasant winter so I’ve had to remote start more often lately, but I’m a bit concerned as to how to prevent it and if damage is being caused.

My oil life also shows 70% so I’m also nervous the dealership won’t be willing to change at 5000 miles. Does anyone have advice? Is this an issue and is there a way to stop it or am I over reacting?
Change it yourslef

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Change it yourslef
EXACTLY ... Do an oil change yourself, or by a trusted garage. (Probably Not Jiffylube !!)

Use the correct oil, and make sure you fill it to EXACTLY the Max mark on the dipstick.
Fill with about 3 quarts, and then add more slowly, checking dipstick after a few minutes, till you get it to nudge up to the max mark.

You won't hurt slightly overfilling, BUT, if you fill accurately to the max mark with clean (non OD oil), then you have a reference, for later oil level checks, to see if you are getting OD, and how much.

From Max mark to top of orange plastic is 0.25 quarts (of gas) = 6% OD !!!

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Why make 2 identical threads? Especially when there are 100 threads on this already.
Because this was up for 24 hours with 1 view and people said post in issues the responses come faster.
Sponsored