Gscar25

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So like many others my 2, 4 and sometimes 6th gear shifts feel very clunky/notchy and generally unsmooth. But recently I have noticed my shift to second feels sticky almost like something is not properly lubricated. Car has 1300 miles on it and I am just noticing it now. I don't abuse the car but today I had a friend drive it and he was somewhat abusing it abit not sure if this has anything to do with it but its making me paranoid. Also gonna throw in a poll to see how many people experience non smooth even gear shifts.
Sponsored

apnr1093

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm close to 4k and shifting from 1st to 2nd has a notchy feel. Certainly does not feel like a grind though. To avoid that feel I had to either time the shift better or had to go to 1st, chill in neutral for a quick half second then go into 2nd which is quite tedious.

hashsi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
I like the clunk. Just like in the fast and furious movies. Lol :spaz:

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The 8th gen and 9th gen trannys, when they worked properly, were the smoothest shifting transmissions in an si. However, many of them went on to eventually grind 2nd and/or 3rd gears. Then they really sucked. I know this from first hand experience, unfortunately. So, in conclusion, they were amazing when they worked.

The trans in the 10th gen si feels like a totally different animal. I dont mind some notchiness or "clunk" when going into gear, as long as they dont eventually start grinding.

Now, what I dont like about our 10th gen trannys is the clutch engagement. It is too high, too vague, and the pedal is way too light. The 8th and 9th gens pedal/clutch feel was much better.

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I hear some feedback when shifting/downshifting to 2nd gear, but that’s the only gear I get feedback, and there is no issue shifting into 2nd gear. It’s certainly not a grinding sound. I’m on high alert with new vehicles, but this experience hasn’t troubled me. This shifter feels like an old school video game joystick. It’s lighter and easier to traverse compared to the shifter in my previous Si.

Edit: After driving around town earlier this evening, I noticed there’s a clunky sound when shifting in 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear. Somehow I overlooked this when I responded earlier. Still no issue shifting into gears, just a clunky sound that reminds me of an old video game joystick when the neck/shaft is extended to its outer limit and hits against the outer edge of the controller’s base.

Last edited:

sirob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si
Bought mine last week and just put a dual tune in it. Trans is smooth as silk.

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Check out the link below to a YouTube review of the Hatchback Sport 6MT. The reviewer is rather critical of the manual transmission. Frankly, I think he’s overly critical. This transmission is smooth. The clutch is light. The gear shifter moves with ease and the throws aren’t too long. However, I do agree with the reviewer’s comment beginning at the 5:29 mark referring to the shifter as feeling similar to video game controller. At the 9:33 mark, it seems the reviewer moves the shifter about and you hear the clunky sound I’ve grown accustomed to hearing. I’m not bothered by it any longer. I’ve come to accept it.

Sponsored