MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
First off, I don't know this will work for everyone, but it certainly worked for me. It's been communicated here that all the shifting challenges were going into the even gears, especially second, or the pull gears. In my case, second was especially bad, grinding occasionally, I also has issues with 4th and it even felt like a task going into reverse, which is also a down gear. I felt extreme resistance going into these gears.

So I thought because it's the pull gears and it takes more effort to pull down than to push up, feeling so much resistance, maybe it just needs a heavier shift knob. I bought one of the heaviest I could find, the Raceseng Ashiko in translucent red. It's heavy, but feels great. I put it on last night and holy cow... Shifts now are buttery smooth and confident. 2nd is flawless. I couldn't believe it.

It drives and feels like a different car. I'm not worried about shifting in a "sweet spot" any more, making sure my clutch is all the way down, I just drive. That's the way it should be. NOT saying this is the solution for all the shifting issues out there, but for $150.00 it's worth a shot. I'm hoping this works for as many of you as possible.
Sponsored

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
It's a filter, not really a solution. The weight makes it a bit slower initially and once it is moving it will continue moving so less effort is needed from your arm afterwards. The weight will also filter out vibrations from the gearbox.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
So if your clutch is slow, this heavy knob slows you down and thus helping the clutch a bit.

OP
OP

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
It's a filter, not really a solution. The weight makes it a bit slower initially and once it is moving it will continue moving so less effort is needed from your arm afterwards. The weight will also filter out vibrations from the gearbox.
Until they figure out a real solution, I'll take it. The stock knob has no w
So if your clutch is slow, this heavy knob slows you down and thus helping the clutch a bit.
Could be...We're all in the dark on this one. I'll take the stop gap though for now until Honda announces something concrete. When I took the stock knob off, man, it had NO weight to it. Love the new one. I could hear things coming from the gearbox too when I shifted with the stock knob too. That's gone. Seems like the issue is coming from straight under the boot.
Sponsored